What else is in Straight Rye?

GoodDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been considering getting a Straight Rye Whiskey (Like Rittenhouse or Wild Turkey Rye). I know that straight just means a minimum of 51%. So what else is commonly included in Straight Rye? Malted Barley? Wheat?

As Chuck has spelled out on more than one occasion, "straight" means more than you say.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Do any Rye makers include any Wheat in their Straight Rye recipies, or is it just corn and malted barley?

If there was wheat in there it would be a 4 grain. Therefore wheat is not present in any straight rye whiskey to my knowledge.

Joe :usflag:

There's no requirement that a straight rye contain any corn or malt, so it could be 100% rye, or something less than that but more than 51%, and filled in with anything else, such as wheat, but it just so happens that no one is doing that.

Not talking about tiny distillers and "dusty" barrels, all of the straight rye on the market today is made by Heaven Hill (actually, by Brown-Forman for Heaven Hill), Jim Beam, Wild Turkey or Buffalo Trace. Most if not all of their recipes call for 51% rye, 39% corn and 10% malt.

"Straight" really just means that the whiskey has finished at least two years of aging.

So would Old Potrero single malt rye also be a straight rye under these definitions?

No because all of the whiskey aren’t matured in new charred oak barrels but the single malt straight rye from the same distillery is a straight rye according to these definition.

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.