Whiskey and Cheese

Sweetmeats
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I always have loved cheese. I'm the type of guy who likes Cheese Wiz, Nacho Cheese and Velveeta though.

On a whim, I bought some Cave Aged Gruyère cheese. It was rather expensive but the words "cave-aged" interested me. I happened to be eating it with Wild Turkey 101 the other night and it was fantastic. It's similar to Swiss Cheese but on steroids. Anybody else here eat cheese while drinking whiskey? I know you're supposed to eat it with wine but I'm not a wine guy.

Here's the website for the cheese if anyone is interested.

http://www.emmi-kaltbach.ch/english/the-kaltbach-caves/

I've enjoyed some of the British or Scottish cheeses with Scotch. Lagavulin with Stilton, Old Pulteney with Keene's or a Scottish cheddar are very good.

I would imagine the same would hold true with bourbon and some of the bold American cheeses that are out now, like Rogue River Blue from Oregon, Plesant Ridge Reserve from Wisconsin or Grafton's Cheddar from Vermont.

I just had a Sazerac followed by some good aged Gouda and unpasteurised Quebec cheddar.

Cheese and whiskey go well together, indeed.

Gary

Smoked Gruyere, and smoked Gouda are delicious accompaniments to any bourbon.

We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.

We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.

That sounds awesome! Where do I get this recipe?

I've had some Swedish cheeses (courtesy of a nearby IKEA) that went really well as an accompaniment to whiskey, or (even more so) cocktails. Herrgård is a favorite of mine, and there was another called "brännvins ost" (a sharp, somewhat cheddar-like cheese flavored with aquavit) that is sublime. Some slices of these, with some rye crispbread, make an excellent snack.

Wow. I often wrap up my evening with some extra sharp chedder accompanied with slices of a fuji apple. Of course this is paired with whatever Bourbon I'm drinking that evening. Thought I was the only one.

I was with Julian Van Winkle at Bourbons Bistro once, and he said Aged Gouda goes well with his bourbons. Not Gouda, but AGED Gouda...

AND....he's right!

Al the other posts are great recommendations; particularly the aged gouda.

Let me add my favorite: I love the "triple-cream soft cheeses (try Bonne Bouche or a good Camembert) on a bland cracker. ETL is my favorite bourbon accompaniment.

( Beer and Cheese is GREAT too)

Now we're talking.....add a Bratwurst to that and I'd feel like I'm back home in Wisconsin!!

:woohoo::woohoo:

That sounds awesome! Where do I get this recipe?

When in a hurry we just use a pre-made crust...

2Tof Pizza Sauce

2T Adobo sauce (from canned Chipotle chilies or more too taste. We add 2 T of the Chipotle’s chopped to the sauce)

6 to 8 Medium-hot chilies (We use 4 Poblano’s and 2 Jalapenos)

2-Cups freshly shredded White Cheddar

1-Cup freshly shredded smoked Gouda

1/4-Cup Fresh Cilantro

Roast the fresh Chiles (Grill over a fire until black all around and then place in a zip lock back to sweat for 15 minutes) Remove from bag remove skin and slice.

Cover your crust with the sauce, then add the cheese, then the sliced chilies. Bake per your crust instructions. Remove from oven and add the fresh Cilantro.

It's simple but has great flavor. We have tried a variety of chilies depending on how hot we want to go. The 4 poblano's and 2 jalapenos has been our favorite.

This is from James McNair's New Pizza Book. No longer published but you can find it on Amazon used. It has many easy and very unusual pizzas with great flavor.

Actually Whiskey is good with a lot of things. Like smoked fish or Caviar.

As far as cheese, I prefer the Gouda -Triscuit-bourbon, mix. the Other cheese usually begs for a Cabernet or a Beer. Of course Chedder and Queso is more appropriate with Beer. IMO.

At the KBD Gala, cheese balls are a staple on the hors d'oeuvres table. They go well with whiskey on the rocks, I find. This is cheese softened and formed into balls or other shapes suitable for eating with a cracker or soft bit of bread. Bourbon is used of course for the KBF's recipe.

I once tried my own version at home with cheddar, paprika, butter, bourbon and chives and it was great. Using a blender makes it easy to do.

Gary

Now we're talking.....add a Bratwurst to that and I'd feel like I'm back home in Wisconsin!!

:woohoo::woohoo:

Mmmmmmm.... bratwurst. On last weekend's roadtrip to Wisconsin, I stopped at a little restaurant just outside Plymouth and had a genuine Sheboygan bratwurst, accompanied by a glass of Leinenkugel Honey Weiss. Damn, it was good!

Never having tried Gruyère cheese before, and loving Gouda, I had to rush to the Deli the other day to pick up some of each. Tried both with a little bourbon. Wow, that was almost damn sexual.

Figure of speech, picked it up from a friend. You've never heard anybody say "wow, that was better than sex"? :cool:

Never having tried Gruyère cheese before, and loving Gouda, I had to rush to the Deli the other day to pick up some of each. Tried both with a little bourbon. Wow, that was almost damn sexual.

After reading about it here, I figured I'd give it a try. I don't know about "sexual" (what do you guys do out there in Missouri, anyway? :) ), but it was pretty darn good. I tried it with OGD 114 and the cheese seemed to compliment the bourbon well.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite writers is John Thorne, who has self-published a "foodletter" for almost 30 years, and has compiled his essays from that newsletter and some other writings into several books over the years. I recently found a first edition of the out-of-print (and pricey) Outlaw Cook at a local bookstore (for $11 - happy to brag about that).

There is an essay in the book entitled "How to Eat," in which Thorne details learning to enjoy food and to cook food. The beginning of that adventure, he writes, was consuming a "Plowman's Lunch" of ale, crackers, cheese, and thinly-sliced onions at a Greenwich Village brewpub. Later in the book, an essay entitled "The Plowman's Lunch" details his experimentation with variations on the four basic components of that meal. Various alcoholic beverages, artisanal bread, cheeses, and onion/pickled vegetables/mustards are discussed at length. The essay is a great read, and inspired me to spend my summer away from teaching on my own experimentation. I have had some very enjoyable meals in these two short weeks off (thus far). I hope to post more on combinations I enjoy, but in the meantime, the book is recommended (as are all of his writings), and I can say that rye whiskey seems to match up very well with soft, ripe cheeses, while bourbon (to me) cries out for aged cheddar and good hard cheese.

Regardless, there is tradition and good taste behind pairing whisk(e)y with cheese. Try it and be amazed.

The folks at Artisinal Cheese ( whom I highly endorse as a great place to orger great chesse) were nice enough to share the pairings that the y featured at Nells's:

Here are the pairings from last night:

Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey (90 proof)

PIPER'S PYRAMID

Old Gristmill Authentic American Corn Whiskey (80 proof)

SENTINELLE

Isaiah Morgan Rye Whiskey (80 proof)

ALP DRACKLOCH

St. George Single Malt (86 proof)

ISLE OF MULL CHEDDAR

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers' Vintage 21 Year Old Bourbon (94 proof)

ROGUE RIVER BLUE

Rittenhouse Rye (100 proof)

BERKSWELL

Please let me know if you would like any more information. Thanks so

much!

Best,

Jon Lundbom

Customer Service Manager

Artisanal Premium Cheese

500 West 37th Street

New York, NY 10018

212-871-3141 (ph)

212-239-1437 (fax)

www.ArtisanalCheese.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.