Whiskey and Cheese

Sweetmeats
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

TBoner ,can you give me the ISBN number of the book?It has made me curious enough to read and try:cool: !Thanks,Eric.

0-374-22836-1

There's a paperback available through Amazon from a seller in Maryland right now for $25. That's a good price.

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite cheese with Bourbon is a good crystalised aged cheddar; but at your suggestion I'll give it a go with a King Island Triple that I love with a good red wine.

• 4 months later...

funny, i just did this last night.

i was re-trying the original Bushmills (needed something light and different...and give my tongue a sort of breather) and, initially, was disappointed...at 80 proof, it is almost too drinkable. not bad. just not complex...or at least i wasn't catching it. plus, i haven't had irish whiskey in some time.

so i did the drop of water in it, sliced some Heluva sharp cheddar and some table water crackers (with poppy seeds AND cracked pepper!)...boy that combo with the OBushmills totally livened up the flavor and opened it up. maybe the tad bit of water helped, too. an apple slice, too, rounded out this "supper" very well! almost healthy...:rolleyes:

like this was meant to be savored WITH food. quite a surprise.

seemed like a perfect marriage. decent cheese and very good, reliable OBushmills.

in this instant, the whole became greater than the parts...! :)

• 7 months later...

I've been enjoying cheese and bourbon for years. One of my favorites is Dubliner cheese from Ireland or Red Leicester, served on crackers, and a glass of any good bourbon on the rocks, such as OGD 114. Now, if it's my favorite ORVW 10/107, then the bourbon doesn't meet ice, but I still enjoy it with the cheese.

I just had a Sazerac followed by some good aged Gouda and unpasteurised Quebec cheddar.

Gary,

If I ever got into the smuggling business, I would exclusively import your wonderful, unpasteurized Canadian cheeses into the USA. Forget cigars or high-flow toilets...I want the dairy goods. By worldwide standards, we only get the dregs of cheese here in the US.

Jeremy, there are increasing numbers of unpasteurised cheeses made in Ontario, Quebec and elsewhere in Canada, and also cheeses made from heated milks. Even before that occurred (or was revived), there was good Canadian cheddar, e.g., Balderson, Black Diamond. But there must be similar and numerous craft cheeses now in the States, all those farms in the UP for example...?

Once I did a comparative tasting of Vermont, Ontario and English Cheddar (England is the originator of that style of hard-pressed cheese), oh we had one from New York State too.

They were all very good and different one from the other. The English one was best but it was raw milk and the others were not.

I find cheddar goes best with whiskey and Dutch cheeses do very well with it, as I had mentioned. Also, cheeses from the far north of France such as Maroilles and Mimolette go beautifully with whiskey - and beer.

Gary

.....Black Diamond.....

I remember eating a extra aged white cheddar called black Diamond. I purchased it at Sam's (Sam's Club) about six or seven years back.

Your post reminded me of this cheese so I sought out the Black Diamond web site. Packaging, of course, changes over the years, but I don't see anything like what I remember on their web site.

The cheese was in-cased in a wax and in an all black shrink wrap. It was aged a number of years, I want to say "eight", but that doesn't seem logical. It was quite crumbly and had quite a bit of those crystalline formations throughout that I take it is a product of the long aging.

Was this a Canadian product? I liked it, a lot. But I haven't seen it for years.

Brad, it's definitely the same maker. They developed certain packaging for the export market, hence the waxed wrapping, and that may explain why the products on the website look different than you remember. This is an old company, and it specialized early on in the export market.

This company, and Balderson of Ontario, made what I would call the classic Ontario white cheddar cheese. Pasteurised milk was used and because of long aging and other factors high quality was achieved.

Quebec also always made excellent cheddar (e.g. Mirabel cheddar) but Quebec always preferred a milder palate than English Canada in cheddar cheese.

I should say that IMO, sharp Vermont white cheddar is very similar to the best Ontario, and there is excellent New York cheddar too.

Today however we have raw milk cheddar (unpasteurised) and it can be very good and is almost a different product, very heavy on flavour and savour.

Cheddar is English originally, there was a county in England called Cheddar, and I have had superb farmhouse cheddar there, cut from huge rounds wrapped in cheesecloth.

Gary

I like Cabot Cheddar Cheese with my Bourbon and a beer a great combo of 3! Cabot Cheese from VT makes some of the very Best Cheddars you can buy!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon

=======================================

I second the vote for Cabot Cheddar. Actually, they have a version called Hunter which stands uo well to Bourbon. The other day we had it with a good strong mustard and some smoked fish along with MM on ice. A good way to kill a couple of hours on a dreary day.

The Cabot Hunter Cheddar is one of my Favorites from them, their Extra Sharp is also wonderful. They have won many metals for their cheeses, I have been getting them before you could get them anywhere but in the Vt Area. They go great with Bourbon or Beer or both. I most times have a couple of Pretzels also with them.

I recomend anyone who has never had Cabot Cheeses to give them a try if they are sold near you!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

--------------------------------------------------

The Cabot Hunter Cheddar is one of my Favorites from them, their Extra Sharp is also wonderful. They have won many metals for their cheeses, I have been getting them before you could get them anywhere but in the Vt Area. They go great with Bourbon or Beer or both. I most times have a couple of Pretzels also with them.

I recomend anyone who has never had Cabot Cheeses to give them a try if they are sold near you!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

--------------------------------------------------

Here is the web site for Cabot Cheese www.cabotcheese.com it is good stuff.

Dave Z

=======================================

Brad, it's definitely the same maker. They developed certain packaging for the export market, hence the waxed wrapping, and that may explain why the products on the website look different than you remember. This is an old company, and it specialized early on in the export market.

This company, and Balderson of Ontario, made what I would call the classic Ontario white cheddar cheese. Pasteurised milk was used and because of long aging and other factors high quality was achieved.

Quebec also always made excellent cheddar (e.g. Mirabel cheddar) but Quebec always preferred a milder palate than English Canada in cheddar cheese.

I should say that IMO, sharp Vermont white cheddar is very similar to the best Ontario, and there is excellent New York cheddar too.

Today however we have raw milk cheddar (unpasteurised) and it can be very good and is almost a different product, very heavy on flavour and savour.

Cheddar is English originally, there was a county in England called Cheddar, and I have had superb farmhouse cheddar there, cut from huge rounds wrapped in cheesecloth.

Gary

Gary Have you ever had the Cabot Cheddar Cheese's they are wonderful and now that they come to Pa I get them all the time!

Dave Z

----------------------------------------------------

Yes Dave, it was part of the comparative cheddar tasting I mentioned and was superb. It was somewhat similar to good Ontario cheddar.

Gary

Yes Dave, it was part of the comparative cheddar tasting I mentioned and was superb. It was somewhat similar to good Ontario cheddar.

Gary

Then your Ontario Cheddar has to be world class stuff wish I could try it Gary, Thanks for getting back to me!

Dave Z

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.