Checkin' the Bead

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

For the General Bourbon Topics Board:

> Supposedly, an ole moonshiner showed this trick to a friend of mine and

> I'd like a possible explanation because I think it has merit. Not knowing

> anything about bourbon whiskey except it is my definite preference over all

> adult beverages, this "shake" test has never failed to help me choose a winner.

Of all the brand names that were familiar to me after

> surfing this great website, the top choices were also mine and all due to

> this one test. When I walk to the shelf with all the bourbons, I shake a

> bottle of each brand. The stuff that keeps bubbling the longest is hands down the very

> best. Why is that or has anybody else ever tried this? It works! So far, Beam

> black label (a seven-year-old soldier), Makers Mark, and Wild Turkey have been winners (and in that order), but I did find

> a top winner one time that disappeared from the shelves for some

> reason--called Passport and it was one of the cheapest price-wise, so a

> great value. Too bad it's gone from my local shelves now; probably too good

> to be true, so the company went under or something, huh. Anyway, the "top

> forty" brands like Jim Beam (four-year-old), Old Crow, Evan Williams, Ezra Brooks,

> Ancient Age, Ten High, all flunk this test--the "bead" returns to normal too quickly. These are cheaper brands, for

> the most part, so the test fits, I suppose. Jack Daniels (not a bourbon, I found out, but a Tennesee whiskey) also fails to

> "hold the bead" very long, as this alleged moonshiner phrased it. I not familiar with the premium bourbons like Hirsch and Blantons,

so don't know how they'd fare, but I hope to find out soon assuming this one-horse town (Tucson AZ) carries this kind of quality stuff.

This test does not work with the blends, Scotch, Rum, Vodka, etc....only bourbon whisky, thus

> far, so I thought y'all could fill me in on why the "good stuff" bubbles the bead longer...and what happened to Passport?

> Thank you...

>

> Respectfully, Joe Scott

jfscott

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Joe your friend is partially correct. Checking or holding the bead is an easy way to test for proof. If it holds the bead it is 100 proof or close to it.

This is why those 80 proofers failed the test.

Linn S.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mr. Lipman,

Now that I think of it, you may be right. For sure Passport is a scotch whisky, so I've probably mixed it up with whatever that bourbon brans was called. Your website is a dandy, by the way...

Cheers, Joe Scott

jfscott

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Linn,

I knew there had to be a plausible explanation. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Sir...

Cheers, Joe Scott

jfscott

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

No problem Joe! If you really want to further your bourbon knowledge I highly recommend Chuck Cowdery's "Bourbon Country Reader". Where ever you see the name cowdery click on the name and that will bring up his straightbourbon porfile. This contains the url for his website. Click on that and check him out. Good stuff sure 'nuff!

Linn S.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.