BOTM 5/07, Four Roses Single Barrel

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses Single Barrel is one of the best whiskies being made today. It is simply marvelous stuff!

And thankfully it has finally made it's way to New York so if anyone can find a NY store that will ship, you will be in business! :cool:

I'm only familiar with the South Halsted Street location so I assume it's there. I got a report that they had it and spoke to Mitch about it, but I haven't been to the store myself, having stocked up on a recent trip to Kentucky (it's only five hours away). I don't know what he's charging but your assumption probably is correct.

news is that NY is first, which I believe has already happened. Second is a group that includes Fl,Ca and Tx. Should be within the next year and a half or so.

Are you sure about this, in regard to Ca.? I ask because California is not a typical early market for a new limited product because of it's shear size. Buffalo Trace as an example is still unavailable here.

I bought my first bottle of FRSB today.

I am really enjoying it; I have not yet tried a better bourbon.

It has a nice mouth feel. Does anyone know at what proof this is barreled?

Which Lush location? Both? How much are they charging for it?

On a trip to Chicago in March, I bought a bottle of Small Batch at the Halsted location. $36. Single barrel was $47.

Are you sure about this, in regard to Ca.? I ask because California is not a typical early market for a new limited product because of it's shear size. Buffalo Trace as an example is still unavailable here.

My local guy says he will have BT by late summer, he has not heard anything concerning this BTOM.

On a trip to Chicago in March, I bought a bottle of Small Batch at the Halsted location. $36. Single barrel was $47.

Ok, about 50% higher than Kentucky retail prices. You pay for convenience, and what you would have paid in gas money to get to KY. Nothin' wrong with that.

JOE

Four Roses Single Barrel is one of the best whiskies being made today. It is simply marvelous stuff!

And thankfully it has finally made it's way to New York so if anyone can find a NY store that will ship, you will be in business! :cool:

Is there any way of finding out what stores in NYC carry it? I'll be heading to the city in the not-to-distant future, and will certainly try to ferret this stuff out.

I have the single barrel waiting to be shipped to me from TX and on my recent trip there I picked up 2 of the small batch. One of which broke in the flippin' car. I. Am. So. Pissed. Although that rental was probably the best smelling car I've ever ridden in.

Good to hear it'll make it's way to Cali though!

My current bottle is okay but not the best FRSB I've had. The wood seems a little heavy in it. Some samples are better balanced. However this is the way with single barrel bourbons, you take the good with the less good.

Gary

I was just drinking some last night. For the last little sip, I threw in some water and found it interesting how the character of this bourbon came through even with a lot of water on top of it.

The key word here is balance. I can see how someone who likes fireworks from their whiskey might even consider the FRSB a little bland.

Maker's Mark prides itself on eliminating bitterness and creating a bourbon that is easy to drink and easy to like. Though I would not say they taste the same or even similar, FRSB is pursuing the same goal, I think.

To me, it's another egg in the basket, another way for bourbon to taste, and wouldn't it be a shame if they all tasted the same.

I have re-visited my Four Roses Single Barrel from last Saturday night.

The spice seems to be a little more tame, which I like, but very much present.

I think I have a rival to my all time favorite which is Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

I am going to save a few pours of FRSB and compare it to WTKS when I open my next one.

According to a local distributor, Four Roses products (including SB) will be making an entry into the upstate NYS market sometime in June/July this year:grin: . Hopefully will be able to pick up a bottle from work soon if its true

That is good news. I sampled my current bottle recently and it confirms my high regard for this product. Each bottle is (I find) slightly different due to being from a single barrel, and some I've had in the past seemed better (better balance of barrel and distillery notes) but overall the profile is maintained to a high fidelity. I think this bourbon stands high not just in the ranks of recent releases, but of bourbon at any time.

Gary

I'd really love to try Four Roses, but I can't find it in my area.

I'd really love to try Four Roses, but I can't find it in my area.

You need to enlarge your area! Louisville is only 90 min. away!!!

Good news: I got a list of retail outlets in NY from the fine folks at Four Roses.

Better news: I'm taking the girls to New York on Father's day.

Bad news: Determining whether any of them are open on a Sunday, and are reasonably close to mid-town. It appears Astor's is open, but might be a little bit of a trek.

Can you share the list? My wife is headed to NYC next month and I'm asking her to pick up a bottle of each expression...

Thanks!

I'm asking her to pick up a bottle of each expression...

A bottle?? why not have her pick up 3 of each, sell it to her like this: She may get a discount. C'mon, women love to get discounts!:lol:

Scott

Just a question from a newbie... Is there a place where the abbreviations for the various bourbons spoken of is listed? Brisbane is a long way from home. :)

Just a question from a newbie... Is there a place where the abbreviations for the various bourbons spoken of is listed? Brisbane is a long way from home. :)

You'll find it here.

G'day Pastor, it's great to see another Aussie face on the site :D When you say Brisbane is a long way from home - are you in Brisbane, or further afield?

I don't know of a particular resource that gives abreviations used in posts, but the bourbon database is a great place to start -

http://www.straightbourbon.com/brands.php?choice=bottling

And again, welcome to sb.com

Hey Pastor, welcome to Straightbourbon.com!

Like Cam said, great to see another Aussie aboard!

Scott

Can you share the list? My wife is headed to NYC next month and I'm asking her to pick up a bottle of each expression...

Thanks!

Oops, missed this. It's on my work e-mail, so I'll try to post it on Monday. Or you could email four roses direct. They were very accomodating and friendly. I love companies that "get it".

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!