190 Proof Everclear…The Nuclear Bomb of Liquor

Hyperspace
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This isn’t in my daily pour by any means (I primarily drink bourbon/beer), but I do keep a big bottle on hand just as a “show of strength†when friends talk about liquors that pack a real punch.

It is illegal to purchase the 190 proof version (it’s available at concentrations of 95% and 75.5%) in certain states in the US, including California, Ohio, Minnesota, and Michigan. When I was younger I would shot Everclear straight. That is NOT a good idea.

Being one who could slam Everclear straight…it makes ALL bourbon, including George T. Stagg, smooth. :bigeyes:

Do you agree with the states that have banned Everclear?

post-2468-14489813057883_thumb.jpg

Do you agree with the states that have banned Everclear?

Definitely not, it's just yet another frivolous law made in the name of generating revenue. Not that I think they are really actively looking for people who possess or sell this spirit in those states but I'm sure there is a fine of some sort involved if you are prosecuted for these offenses. Sure, it's dangerous in a few ways, but when you have a law like that you are just nitpicking; I wonder what the official reasoning for the law is.

If you want to kick it up a (slight) notch I think there is another GNS out there that is marketed under the name "Grain Neutral Spirit" that goes all the way to the azeotrope, 95.6%, or possibly done with Pressure Swing Distillation (if they even use that to make spirits) to reach a full 96%. I couldn't find it online but I know I saw it in the store a few times; I jokingly told my friend to buy it and water it down to save a few bucks when he was shopping for vodka to serve at his party.

.............Do you agree with the states that have banned Everclear?

NO! absolotly not!

Here in Illinois we have the 190 proof version. I have never drank the stuff, mixed or straight, not even in my "experimental" youth faze.

I do keep a bottle in my medicine cabinet. I use it, diluted with plenty of water, to clean my dog's jowls. Food particles get trapped (in small skin folds) and take on a bad odor. left un-washed it can lead to an infection.

Every once and a while some moron, usually a collage kid, drinks himself to death (or into a coma) on the stuff. Then we have to listen to a bunch of ninnyhamers cry and wale about how it should be baned. Frankly, these are the same people who baned yard darts, three-wheelers, passed seatbelt, child restraint and helmet laws, aided of course, when it comes to alcohol issues, by the Carrie Nation types.

these are the same people who baned yard darts,...

I loved them! I was shocked to find that they were illegal when I tried to find a new set online. All they sell now are these lame foam ones with huge rounded ends. Guess I'll have to stick to garage sales... :)

Jarts! We used to play that all the time when we were kids. We all survived to adulthood, thank God, no thanks of course to the darn gummint, whose conscience back then had yet to be stirred by the safety police.

Hidden

We play Jarts! We drink Stagg! We sell 190-proof Everclear and Gem Cleer in Tennessee (mostly as an industrial cleaner)! God bless America!

Here in Illinois we have the 190 proof version.

Every once and a while some moron, usually a collage kid, drinks himself to death (or into a coma) on the stuff. Then we have to listen to a bunch of ninnyhamers cry and wale about how it should be baned.

Hello neighbor (Indiana here)…

Yep, there’s always some moron that gets hurt from something and then the “safety police” goes off the deep end and wants to ban whatever. I get sick of it.

With the Everclear…I always heard stories off someone trying to drink a “fireball” and ending up setting himself on fire. I don’t know if the stories are true or just urban legend.

…nonetheless, all the laws that are made in the name of public safety have gotten way out of hand.

Hidden
....With the Everclear…I always heard stories off someone trying to drink a “fireball” and ending up setting himself on fire. I don’t know if the stories are true or just urban legend.

No, stuff like that happens. There is a web site called OGRISH.com where you can see some pretty amazingly stupid and horrific stuff. People trying to drink flaming shots of liquor ( I am assuming Bacardi 151 and Everclear or similar products) setting their face, their hair, the drapes and furniture on fire (friggin' idiots, man):slappin: :slappin:

Be warned, many of the videos are not fit for family viewing!!!

This is the web site which carries be-heading videos and other very gruesome stuff not shown elsewhere. (which is why I didn't provide a direct link, you'll have to do a search.

It's possible the posters don't know why sale of maximum Everclear was banned. It has nothing to do with drinking it. The process for making crack cocaine requires it or something like it, for fuel, not for drinking. I think it's used in meth manufacture too. That's why some jurisdictions banned it.

It's possible the posters don't know why sale of maximum Everclear was banned. It has nothing to do with drinking it. The process for making crack cocaine requires it or something like it, for fuel, not for drinking. I think it's used in meth manufacture too. That's why some jurisdictions banned it.

Do you have a source for that? I never heard any such claim that Everclear was used, let alone banned, for manufacturing of controlled substances.

In my state, Indiana, the law is VERY aggressive against methamphetamine and all it’s components of manufacture. If Everclear was an important part of that, I would think Indiana would have banned it a long time ago. You can’t even buy certain cold medicines without signing and ID…which then goes to the State Police.

I would like a link or something…as I will always remain open-minded to learning.

Interesting, I had no idea. imo the law still seems stupid though. I'm certaintly not advocating it but the law would make alot more sense at a federal level seeing as how rogue chemists could just wheel on over to another state and procure it for their clandestine labs there.

I did a little searching and lo and behold I found several references to Everclear and meth manufacture. I also found the expected references to collage binge drinking and alcohol poisoning and the attendant maligning of Bacardi 151, Everclear and other grain alcohol (brands I've never heard of).

All the reading and internet searches doesn't sway my opinion one iota. Once you support banning one thing it becomes a slippery slope. "Incrementalism" is a very, and I mean very effective strategy. It has been employed, with great success, by just about every political pressure group.

First they came for the Everclear, I did not speak up.

Then they came for my Stagg, and there was no one left to speak up!!

It's a very high threshold libertarian argument you're making, so lets jump to the far extreme. Is it okay for the government to ban the private manufacture and possession of nuclear weapons? Weaponized pathogens? How about keeping lions and tigers in a New York apartment? Are you equally as offended by government bans on those things?

The law has to balance. Is the loss of the legitimate uses for 190 proof Everclear outweighed by the harm caused by illegitimate uses?

The very title of this thread reveals fundamental ignorance about alcohol, "The nuclear bomb of liquor." The fact that a given product is high proof means you can ingest a certain amount of absolute alcohol more quickly, consuming less non-alcoholic liquid in the process. Exactly why is that valuable? Do you have so much trouble getting as drunk as you want to get on beer, at say 5% absolute alcohol, that you need something that's 95% absolute alcohol?

Do you laugh in Spinal Tap at the "This one goes to 11" scene? That's exactly the same kind of ignorance as getting all moist about high proof booze.

It's a very high threshold libertarian argument you're making, so lets jump to the far extreme. Is it okay for the government to ban the private manufacture and possession of nuclear weapons? Weaponized pathogens? How about keeping lions and tigers in a New York apartment? Are you equally as offended by government bans on those things?

The law has to balance. Is the loss of the legitimate uses for 190 proof Everclear outweighed by the harm caused by illegitimate uses?

The very title of this thread reveals fundamental ignorance about alcohol, "The nuclear bomb of liquor." The fact that a given product is high proof means you can ingest a certain amount of absolute alcohol more quickly, consuming less non-alcoholic liquid in the process. Exactly why is that valuable? Do you have so much trouble getting as drunk as you want to get on beer, at say 5% absolute alcohol, that you need something that's 95% absolute alcohol?

Do you laugh in Spinal Tap at the "This one goes to 11" scene? That's exactly the same kind of ignorance as getting all moist about high proof booze.

First, I don’t drink Everclear. I have not had the stuff for 15 years. Second, I don’t get drunk…not because I can’t, but because I’m not an alcohol abuser. Understand?

Anyway, Everclear is made for mixing. So, anyone who shots the stuff is knowingly ignoring the warnings…and if they get hurt, they are not victims.

Also, your comment stating, “The very title of this thread reveals fundamental ignorance about alcohol†is just plain silly. The title is not to be taken literally. It’s just a way to express the liquor is top tier proof wise. I understand fully how alcohol works. I’ve studied the science behind it for many years.

…and all that talk about Everclear helping to make meth...Jimmy crack corn and I don’t care. It’s not a vital component that is even remotely irreplaceable. You can ban every type of alcohol on the planet and methamphetamine / drug manufacturing will not be slowed one bit. If you think otherwise, I got a bridge to sell you.

Lastly, what the hell is this “same kind of ignorance as getting all moist about high proof booze†talk? Who’s getting “moist†over high proof booze? This is a “Non-Whiskey Alcohol†thread…can’t I discuss high proof alcohol on here or do I need your blessing to discuss alcohol that is over X-proof?

:soapbox:

Our stomaches are only so big. Any substance that has the ability to alter our current state faster than another substance will maintain a place of prominence/controversy. Is it valuable? Not for me to say. Is it unique? Yes!

I picked up a bottle of 190 proof today just in case it gets banned nationwide one day. Who knows what I am going to do with it.

Our stomaches are only so big. Any substance that has the ability to alter our current state faster than another substance will maintain a place of prominence/controversy. Is it valuable? Not for me to say. Is it unique? Yes!

I picked up a bottle of 190 proof today just in case it gets banned nationwide one day. Who knows what I am going to do with it.

I would say to taste it. Especially if you can get some other unaged spirits to try alongside. I think it's actually not too bad, though small sips are recommended.:grin:

High proof spirits do have an advantage in one thing other than just getting you drunk quicker. They will allow you to mix a drink that contains the same amount of alcohol without diluting the flavor as much. If you were to make a drink with say 2 oz of 95 proof vodka, that only has a total of 6 oz of actual drink, then the flavors you were mixing with were diluted 33%, but if you mix the same 6 oz drink with 1 oz of 190 proof GNS then the flavors are only diluted 16.5%. If the flavors are not as diluted they are more likely to taste like what you want them to taste like (Say the difference between TANG and Orange Juice).

Of course I'm not sure if any 190 proof spirits go through the fancy-schmancy filtering processes that many vodkas claim, or if the simple dilution to 80 proof would make the flavors (or lack thereof) comparable, but the basic thought of not making my OJ taste like TANG when I want a screwdriver during brunch, is enough to make me want to give it a shot.:grin:

I'm entering this thread belatedly and only because of the dog angle.

I can't produce a source for this info, but I believe there's a reason that isopropyl (aka, "rubbing") alcohol is normally sold at a concentration of 70%. IIRC, at higher concentrations it damages the skin.

I assume that beverage alcohol would have a similar effect at the same concentration, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I hope you play it safe with your dog (Bloodhound? Bulldog?) and dilute the Everclear down to 140 proof or less.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

In any case, I hope you play it safe with your dog (Bloodhound? Bulldog?) and dilute the Everclear down to 140 proof or less.

Yes! Dilution is the solution.

I'm entering this thread belatedly and only because of the dog angle.

I can't produce a source for this info, but I believe there's a reason that isopropyl (aka, "rubbing") alcohol is normally sold at a concentration of 70%. IIRC, at higher concentrations it damages the skin.

I assume that beverage alcohol would have a similar effect at the same concentration, but I could be wrong.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Duke is a Cocker Spaniel. I wash the skin folds of his mouth with a wet washcloth dipped in Everclear that had been diluted to about 25% abv. I do this on a semi-daily basis when I brush him, clean his ears (this is important with flop eared breeds).

Using a soapy washcloth doesn't kill the odor and therefore, I'm assuming, the germs that can lead to infection. When I first discovered the ever-present odor, I took him to the vet, where I was informed of the possibility of infection, if the area isn't cleaned regularly.

As you can see from the pic, the area is always a "discolored brown"

The skin fold on the lower jaw is quite small and doesn't get swiped clean when he licks his chops. In short that is the problem.

We don't have children, so If I am guilty of anything it is fussing over my dog. He's my "little boy".

post-1977-1448981308809_thumb.jpg

Brad,

Duke is obviously in good hands. I shall rest easy.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Everclear was banned from retail sale in Ohio in 1982 after a college student drank too much of it and died. The state still warehouses it and many stores still have it in the back room. In order to buy it, you have to either present a doctors slip stating it is for medical use or or a company purchase order requesting it for industrial use. It appears that it is used to rub on arthritic joints. I also know for a fact that our local water treatment facilities buy it from time to time to use in the water treatment process. The guy who owns the local liquor store told me that anybody can technically buy some if they provide a signed letter stating it is not being purchased for human consumption. This is the State's way of collecting revenue while shielding itself from liability for misuse. The funny thing is, drinking an extra little bit of 151 rum or vodka will have the same result, yet both are readily available on store shelves here. Go figure!

Thomas

"CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - Everclear nights are over on West Virginia campuses. State liquor authorities are banning the sale of 190-proof grain alcohol. Officials say they're responding to concerns of college officials, law enforcement and community groups. The high-octane booze is popular among students, who pour it into party mixes. One university official says the only reason to drink anything 190-proof is to get very drunk, very fast. But students won't have to give up their Jello-shots. West Virginia liquor stores can still sell 151-proof grain alcohol."

Though I recall Chicago and some other big cities banning it ostensibly for its use in the manufacture of crack cocaine, clearly other jurisdictions have restricted availability due to concerns about alcohol poisoning and other abuse.

There are legitimate uses for 190 proof GNS, even some involving beverages, but there is also widespread abuse of the stuff and the fundamental dumbness is that people think there is some macho cred to be had for drinking the "strongest" drink.

Yes, you can take a sip or two of 190 proof GNS and it won't hurt you, but to actually drink the stuff is suicide. Not suicide as euphemism, like eating a really hot pepper sauce, but suicide as "an act intended to cause your own death." If you start diluting it then, fine, you've made vodka.

But consider this statement from the AP story above: "One university official says the only reason to drink anything 190-proof is to get very drunk, very fast." That's the ignorant part. I maintain that you can get just as drunk just as fast drinking 100 proof bourbon. My authority on this point is impeccable. You gain nothing in intoxication onset speed or in intoxication severity by drinking 190 proof spirit instead of 100 proof spirit.

You can even kill yourself drinking 100 proof bourbon, if that is your intention. You don't even really need Everclear for that.

So I'm not ready to go to the barricades to keep 190 proof GNS in every liquor store in America.

"Yes, but, this one goes to 11."

Still here in Ga, don't drink it since im out of HS, but its BS that they're wanting to ban this as well. We have way to many candy asses out there. But i will say this, a fifth and 4 gallons of punch will do the trick at most parties.. :woohoo:

Still here in Ga, don't drink it since im out of HS, but its BS that they're wanting to ban this as well. We have way to many candy asses out there. But i will say this, a fifth and 4 gallons of punch will do the trick at most parties.. :woohoo:

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.