190 Proof Everclear…The Nuclear Bomb of Liquor

Hyperspace
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here in Alabama you can't buy a beer in a container over 16 oz or with more than 6% abv. But, you can still get Everclear, go figure.

I have never seen Everclear in Japan, but there is a Polish Rectified Spirit that is even stronger. Bang for the buck is not bad. but not great. There are any number of ways to buy alcohol that is cheaper Absolute Alcohol/price. I have cut it and used it for hand sterilizer. I have also used it to cut essential oils.

I did drink Everclear punch back in my youth. Nasty stuff. Had a few sips neat, too. I liked to wet my tongue and then exhale through my mouth. Carefully, checking for open flames first.

One friend did do a flaming shot of the stuff. Didn't see him do it, but saw the burns on his arm the next day. He didn't die.

I think that most of the alcohol poisonings that take place happen because someone who is already very drunk does something stupid like try to chug a fifth of whatever spirit is close at hand. Mostly likely something in the 80 proof range. 190 is going to burn like hell no matter how drunk you are, or so I would think.

Speaking personally, the fastest way to get alcohol into my system is to drink ice cold beer. On a hot day, a frosty mug of beer might go down in one long drink to be followed by another as soon as it can be procured. To drink that much alcohol as whiskey in as short a time I would have to hold my nose, grit my teeth, and choke it down with water to follow. I would then be disinclined to have more right away. Not so with beer.

Ed

Everclear is available at a couple of different proofs but the main one is 190 proof, 95 percent alcohol. You say this Polish sprit is stronger? I always understood that, as a practical matter, 95% ABV is the limit. Am I wrong? (Not that another point or two, if possible, would matter much.)

But as to the rest of your point, plenty of kids have killed themselves with 80 proof vodka. You are correct that you don't need Everclear or anything close to it to achieve alcohol poisoning.

I think that most of the alcohol poisonings that take place happen because someone who is already very drunk does something stupid like try to chug a fifth of whatever spirit is close at hand. Mostly likely something in the 80 proof range. 190 is going to burn like hell no matter how drunk you are, or so I would think.

Ed

Everclear is available at a couple of different proofs but the main one is 190 proof, 95 percent alcohol. You say this Polish sprit is stronger? I always understood that, as a practical matter, 95% ABV is the limit. Am I wrong? (Not that another point or two, if possible, would matter much.)

But as to the rest of your point, plenty of kids have killed themselves with 80 proof vodka. You are correct that you don't need Everclear or anything close to it to achieve alcohol poisoning.

I have never witnessed anyone, out of their own stupidity, try to chug spirits of any kind. But what I have witnessed, and stopped when I could, is something far worse. Something that borders on criminal. I have seen youths encourage other less experienced peers to drink spirits faster and in greater quantity than is healthful.:hot: :hot:

Why anyone would think that is somehow funny is beyond me!:hot: :hot:

And, yes it is usually something in the 80-86 proof range.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.