BOTM, 6/07: Jim Beam Black

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This month we're exploring the middle-shelf regions of your favorite liquor establishment, in search of good QPR (quality : price ratio). It is no secret that good bourbon can be had for significantly less cash than the ultra-premiums are commanding. A fine example is this month's Bourbon of the Month: Jim Beam Black.

In the Beam hierarchy, the Black Label fall somewhere between the more-premium Small Batch Collection, and the younger and arguably inferior white label. At 8yo it has the right balance of barrel and grain influences, and 86 proof seems to suit it well.

Beam Black is a QPR favorite of many on the board. What do you think?

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

Beam Black is a QPR favorite of many on the board. What do you think?

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

Although Beam Black is not one of my favorites, it is a decent pour for the price IMO.

Joe :usflag:

Ditto on not being one of my favorites but a good solid drink for the price.

bj

I think it would be interesting to see the results of a poll for JBBL.

I have read a lot of wide ranging opinions on this brand.

I for one don't like it.

I find myself enjoying it much more these days. It being available for 12.99 means that I always make sure to have an unopened bottle just in case. Would I buy it for 19.99? Probably not. But it's a helluva great pour for less.

I find myself enjoying it much more these days. It being available for 12.99 means that I always make sure to have an unopened bottle just in case. Would I buy it for 19.99? Probably not. But it's a helluva great pour for less.

Up here it's a good deal for about $28 cdn relative to other bourbon prices!

Same opinion here...Not my everyday pour, but a decent one for the money.

Haven't had this one in a long time. Looks like a good excuse to pick one up though and participate.

I keep looking to pick up a bottle to try, but at $19.99 most places around here it's been hard to justify pulling the trigger.

I tried a 375 ml. bottle a couple of months ago. Lots of flavor there but I thought it was thin and actually a little harsh. Not a good combination in my book. As far as Beam products go I would save up a little more money and get KC. I much prefer OGD BIB and J.W. Dant BIB and they are cheaper to boot.

Jim Beam White is what I cut my teeth on, so I have a special place in my heart for Beam products.

Putting any biases to the side, I like Jim Beam Black. It doesn’t stand out as a top pick for a middle-shelf bourbon, but it holds it’s own. I would like to see the price a few dollars lower to give it true “bang for the buck†status.

I just poured myself a 1792, then I saw this thread. The only JB black I have is a 50ml bottle I got at KBF last year. I opened it just now and I think it is quite good, even compared to 1792. I'll save the other half of the bottle and compare it to KC tomorrow evening. For the difference in price, I'll have to buy a bottle of this.

Stu

Jim Beam White is what I cut my teeth on, so I have a special place in my heart for Beam products.

Putting any biases to the side, I like Jim Beam Black. It doesn't’t stand out as a top pick for a middle-shelf bourbon, but it holds it’s own. I would like to see the price a few dollars lower to give it true “bang for the buck†status.

If you go a few dollars cheaper than $20, It would be the same price as JBW. That would make for headache's trying to figure out what to get:skep: :skep:

Now I see complaints about $20 being to high for an 8 yo, 86 proof bourbon. What do those who feel $20 is to high for an everyday bourbon drink? I haven't come across many good bottles under $20 that I would say justified no going for the extra 3 or 4 dollars. I can't find many of those cheap gems like AAA 10 yo, VOB 100, and those VRO HH's in NY so to me $20 is almost stealing when it comes to finding a good everyday at that price. I don't know how much everybody drinks a month, but I finish maybe 1 bottle a month. Since it is ME drinking this I tend to feel that a budget of $30-$40 a month is OK for the every days ( Now don't count the other $500 a month on all the dusty finds, must-haves, and micro-beers I "collect") What I'm trying to say I guess is that JB Black IS IMHO one of the best "bang for your buck" bourbon's out there. $20 and almost always some free gift is a great price on Long Island.

Just my 2 cents......no disrespect or arguments intended.....

Had a mini of this about a month ago. The first thing that came to my mind when drinking it was, "Hey this tastes kinda like scotch!" Not to say that it it tasted expensive, but rather it had a malty taste to it that I haven't tasted in any other bourbon. Much better than Beam white in my opinion, and a good pour overall.

If you go a few dollars cheaper than $20, It would be the same price as JBW. That would make for headache's trying to figure out what to get:skep: :skep:

Well, here is an example of prices from an average liquor store where I live:

12.99 + Tax = $13.77 for JBW

19.59 + Tax = $20.77 for JBB ($7 more then JBW)

If I took a few dollars (2) off from JBB…it would cost $18.65…that’s still $4.88 more then JBW. So, how are you claiming it would cost the same?

Like I said, “It doesn’t stand out as a top pick for a middle-shelf bourbon†to me. I guess you like the stuff better then me. I just don’t think it’s worth paying almost $21 for.

___

Locally this is the same price as Elijah Craig 12, and not much cheaper than Eagle 10yr SB...all of which come from the same HORRIBLE distributor. Personnaly I've never been a fan of the Beam Black(sucking on graphite is not my thing), and the fact that local distributors ram it down our throat every few months makes this a major loser in my book. If local distributors paid half the attention to Eagle or Elijah, I would be ecstatic.

On Long Island JBW-$14.99

JBB-$19.99

Now I always thought a couple was two and a few was 4 or 5. My bad.

But I guess you noticed my bunker and bar so you can see I have a problem. Nothing personal I just did the math different.

I am not a big Beam fan. However, during these hot summer months, I will fancy a whiskey poured over crushed ice. JBBL really fits the bill in this department. Something about this stuff does not lend it to being a good straight pour. But when mixed with ice, everything lines up nicely and JBBL becomes a true value. And very enjoyable. A bold yet unobtrusive presence. Nice oak and other flavors stand up with a mellow confidence. Very relaxing and worth the price.

Every Beam pour(excluding the small batch) I have had has some characteristic that makes me say "I can tell thats Jim Beam" I'm not sure what it is. Its in the finish, I think harsh is to strong of word, I just can't place it. That being said, I think that JBBL is ok, but for the money there are others I would choose. ETL, ERSB 10, OGD 114 are around the same price, and EWSB is only a couple bucks more. And I can get OGD BIB for less then JBBL. If JBBL was a few bucks cheaper, it would be a good value, as it stands now, I can get something that is much better in my opinion.

I personally dont care for it, while a cheap price and not undrinkable, for just a couple of more bucks gets you weller 12 year, buffalo trace, old charter 10 year, which I find JBBL doesnt hold a candle to. Only my opinion and nothing more. That said, I do like the idea of exploring affordable bourbon. It may be a mind trick, but anything under 90 proof never quite gets my goat...at least it isnt neutered 80 proof like the current Rebel Yell.

russellc

I must just have a great area. Between three different stores that carry liquor, one of them always has Beam Black on sale for 12.99-13.99 and the same goes for Wild Turkey 101.

Hmmm,

I tried to order this once, but when I ordered "Beam Black" they poured me a glass of Jack Daniels Single Barrell. I didn't complain :-)

I would love to know where some of you who like it rank this in comparison to Knob Creek and JBW. I've never bought it because in general I don't care for bourbon under 90 proof and Knob Creek is typically around $22 in these parts...

Joel

I've always said it's an 86 proof version of Booker's more than it resembles Knob Creek.

Actually, I haven't always said that. I used to say it was 90 proof version of Booker's.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!