Yankee heading to Louisville/bourbon country

trumbullct
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Long time listener, first time caller here. I'm meeting a friend in Louisville for a long weekend next month - sort of a last hurrah before I enter the realm of fatherhood. We're both bourbon fans for sure! Like many other before me, I'm looking for some advice on a trip. Besides distilleries, what are "can't miss" bourbon places?

I've heard that Bourbons Bistro has the best selections of pours around - could someone validate and elaborate? Also, any suggestion of liquor stores to visit? I'm flying in but my friend is driving from southern IL so getting it home won't be a problem (provided he decides to make a car trip to New England as he does each summer).

Lastly, please recommend some bourbons available only in that area. Here's what's in my cabinet at home to help with suggestion (they're all over the place but maybe one of you can see a pattern, I sure can't):

Maker's, Booker's, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Baker's (gift, never opened - not a fan), Michter's US-1 Whiskey, Michter's US-1 Bourbon, Michter's US-1 Rye, Woodford, Pappy Van Winkle 15, Pappy Van Winkle 20, Van Winkle 12 Special Reserve, WL Weller 10 Centennial, Jefferson's Reserve, WT Rare Breed, Old Pogue, Wathen's, and more Blanton's than I know what to do with. Oh, and some Jack and Beam White for my dad and brother (damn them and their whiskey and coke).

Favorite bourbon to date: WL Weller 19 year. Received a bottle as a gift and didn't know that they were in such short supply. Finished the bottle and was very disappointed when I went to look for more!

Can't live without: I'm a sucker for Blanton's and Rare Breed.

Thanks all and happy sipping!

Do a search and find a Liquor Barn location in Louisville, there are 3.

And since you are in KY, get Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 year old, and Four Roses Single Barrel.

Also Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit is available everywhere, but you might as well get it in KY and save some $.

Bourbon's Bistro. Great food and many bourbons to choose from. Highly recommended.

Joe :usflag:

Try the Jockey silks bar at the galt house. They have a comparable assortment to bourbon bistro but cheaper prices.

Party mart is a big liquor store with a good assortment and a bit cheaper prices on high-end whiskey than liquor barn.

Leif

Bourbon prices aren't neccessarily low in KY, I can get most things back in New England cheaper than in KY. What you want to do though is pick up some bottles that are available only in KY.

AAA 10yo, Four Roses SB, Mellow Corn (corn whiskey), HH BIB 6yo or 10yo, Old Charter 12yo, Very Old Barton BIB are good picks.

Cheers!

Bourbon prices aren't neccessarily low in KY, I can get most things back in New England cheaper than in KY. What you want to do though is pick up some bottles that are available only in KY.

AAA 10yo, Four Roses SB, Mellow Corn (corn whiskey), HH BIB 6yo or 10yo, Old Charter 12yo, Very Old Barton BIB are good picks.

Cheers!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting any deals in KY - kind of like wine in Napa/Sonama. My favorite spot to purchase is in Gaithersburg, MD. Whenever I visit my brother down there I stop by a shop near him and Blanton's seems to always be on sale for $35 or less. $48 and up here in CT.

Thanks for the replies!

Bourbon Bistro is great...

... but if you are in downtown Louisville, try the following: The Galt House; Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge (on 4th Strret Live --- they do flights of three bourbons of your choice); and my favorite, the bar at the Seelbach Hotel --- great atmosphere, very knowledgeable bartenders, and a wonderful selection (including the entire BTAC, Hirsh 16, etc.)

• 1 month later...

Returned from my Louisville trip. Made it out to Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Heaven Hill, and Jim Beam. Picked up the following at Liquor Barn (closest to our hotel):

Four Roses Small Batch

Four Roses Single Barrel

Noah's Mill

Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 year old

Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old

Heaven Hill BIB 10 year old

The girl and Four Roses informed us that Four Roses is now available in NYC.

When I got home, I opened the wooden box for the Noah's Mill and the wax seal had obviously been tampered with and/or broken. I assume I have no recourse. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.