American Single Malts

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This week I've got write-ups of four single malts from the US:

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey

St George Single Malt

St. James' Peregrine Rock

McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt

It was interesting to try a range of US single malts, none of which taste anything like scotch single malts. All in all, I'd say they show potential but have a ways to go. I think Stranahan's was the strongest of the four. St. George was interesting but quirky. I didn't care for Peregrine Rock or McCarthy's.

www.recenteats.blogspot.com

I`ve only tried McCarthy`s and i think that it`s too young still,a few more years of maturation would have given the whiskey more body,specially for the peatytaste that looked like it was not fully developed.And the fact that it doesn`t taste like any Scotch single malt only makes it a original single malt.I liked it a lot!Eric.

I had a taste of the Stranahan's at Sam's one time I was there, and I liked it, but I didn't $60 like it. The first nosing gave me a definite beer impression, something I've never noticed in a whiskey before.

I've had 3 of the 4 (have not had the St. James' Peregrine Rock).

While I'm not sure either the McCarthy's or the Colorado can be rated a good value, I enjoy both of them. I've never bought McCarthy's but drink it for a week most years at an all-inclusive resort we travel to. I tasted the Colorado at WhiskeyFest and picked up a bottle at Sam's the next day (will have to decide rather to replace when finished - the likelyhood increased when I found it in KY $10 cheaper than Chicago).

St. George's is another story. I really thought sku's description as "quirky" was very appropriate. It is the only whisky/whiskey that I can really say I dislike. Have even tried to give it away to friends, but no one has taken it home with them either. It's almost like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It seems to have traces of scotch, bourbon, and cognac tastes combined. While I like each of these individually, the mixture does not work for me.

Tom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.