Grommes and Ullrich 1936

urtexas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm sitting in front of a sealed gift box of "Pre-War distilled in 1936 Grommes and Ullrich Black Label Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Bottled Exclusively for Grommes and Ullrich, Inc Chicago Ill., from their selected Kentucky reserve stocks" The gift box is blue with decorative black and gold felt letters saying "Gentlemen we know". The box has gold seals on top and bottom with the words "Res Publicam Serviens" embossed on them along with a two lion coat of arms.

I've researched previous threads in 2002 and 2005 and nobody has any hard fact about it. All I could deduce was that it was a Private Label and it's some pretty good stuff. I invite all members of this forum to an open discussion concerning it's history and value.

Thanks

Who cares about history or value....how does it taste?

I don't know very much about Grommes and Ullrich. My sense is that they were one of many big city whiskey brokers in the late-19th, early-20th century who bought whiskey in bulk from producers to supply their own brands. Grommes and Ullrich may have been bigger than most, as I see the name from time to time in literature and such. The Chicago Historical Museum has a set of large, very cool advertising signs for Grommes and Ullrich that are (or were when I was last there, some years ago) hanging in their administrative offices suite.

The structure of the beverage alcohol industry changed substantially after Prohibition and companies like Grommes and Ullrich were the big casualties. I suspect that by 1936 it was just a brand, owned and distributed by someone else, who revived the name because they thought there was a market for it. Perhaps there was some connection between the pre- and post-prohibition entities, but I doubt it.

One good place to research this sort of thing is pre-pro.com. At least, that's a good place to research Grommes and Ullrich. It's most likely impossible to determine when this particular gift package was issued, or why, or how many were made, etc. Gift packages around Christmas time always have been common, some companies have done gift packaging for other holidays, such as Father's Day. Producers also sometimes do special packaging for customers, shareholders, clubs, etc.

You don't mention an age statement. You say it says distilled in 1936, but when was it bottled, i.e., how long was it aged? If it doesn't say, then it's probably more than four but less than six years old.

There's no accounting for what people will pay for things on eBay, but you won't send your kids to college on it. Best case scenario would probably be any number over $100.

• 12 years later...

So, it’s 2020 now and I still have this bottle.   I hear there’s a old bourbon craze going on and I want to sell this bottle but I have no idea of it’s value.

I’ve received one offer but I don’t want to sell it without a better understanding of its value.   Where would I go to get an idea of it’s value and what is the best venue to sell it at?

2179A6D8-8384-4D33-9899-49213DDCFC3C.jpeg

F5FD0BBC-43FA-414B-A0B4-7DCCE7F99EE6.jpeg

8ABBD246-2402-4B87-BAC7-7BC63C5C25E6.jpeg

644B044A-62D7-4146-A8D6-24E56BD456AD.jpeg

11 hours ago, urtexas said:

So, it’s 2020 now and I still have this bottle.   I hear there’s a old bourbon craze going on and I want to sell this bottle but I have no idea of it’s value.

I’ve received one offer but I don’t want to sell it without a better understanding of its value.   Where would I go to get an idea of it’s value and what is the best venue to sell it at?

My advice?    Seek the council other flippers.   I'm not sure you'll find and such kindred spirits here, though.

11 hours ago, urtexas said:

Things haven’t changed here in the last twelve and a half years since your first post about this. You basically have two options. Open  it and drink it, or get rid of it. FWIW, we aren’t an appraisal site.  We also aren’t a buying, selling or trading site. Blatant posts about the buying/selling/trading of bottles aren’t allowed here, and posts even hinting at such are frowned upon. I’m not trying to be a jerk, just reminding you and others about the site rules. Which, by the way, you (and everyone else) agreed to before becoming a member here. 

Joe

• I like it 1

Thank you both for your replies.   Joe, I feel completely admonished and I respect your reply.   I do hope you both enjoyed seeing the pictures of this item from the past.

1 hour ago, urtexas said:

...Joe, I feel completely admonished and I respect your reply...

Drop and give him 20!!!  ?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Drop and give him 20!!!  ?

“Atta boy Luther!” 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.