Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have revisited this brand yesterday and today after a long absence. It is a series H and it do strike me as being quit a bit better than the G bottle I had last, despite the fact that I know its from the same steel tank. This one is very spicy in the nose and taste and there is some real nice, a bit sour fruit under it. It’s also very, very sweet and chewy for a straight rye in general. Almost impossible to find any kind of overage signs. Maybe its my daily shape or sometimes bad taste memory that play a trick on me, but at the moment it actually feels that this particular bottle is one of the best van Winkle ryes I ever had.

Leif

• 2 months later...

I tasted a new frankfort A bottle and next to the 07 Saz I much prefer the VW. I don't know how much the proof difference effects things but the VW is very spicy and thick. An aggressive Rye but no indication of major woodiness despite it age. For the same price of Saz 18, i'd much rather have the VW. You won't go wrong picking up a new frankfort A series.

Cudos once again to Van Winkle.....always good bourbon....and rye too!

Greg

It's true, I had a bottle bought in Europe recently with no letter or number in the top rectangle but was Frankfort and appeared fresh stock - yet it is not woody at all. I wonder if it was mingled further when (apparently - I'm not sure) the lettering system has started again from nought. I saw a new-looking Frankfort A in New York recently...

I actually prefer this new bottling - whatever its composition - to the earlier fruit-forward, cherryish bottlings of VWFRR 13, certainly they seem smoother and well-integrated. Julian does it again, you have to hand it to him.

Gary

I bought a bottle of A stock in Seattle today at the state run liquor store. I thought finding an old "A" was not likely...looks like it is a new "A" bottling?

I bought a bottle of A stock in Seattle today at the state run liquor store. I thought finding an old "A" was not likely...looks like it is a new "A" bottling?

Yeah, it seems so. I kinda hoping Julian will pop in and give us the skinny on this.

I had a glass this evening and it really is special stuff. Well worth the 47 dollars. Definitely a distinctive and complex rye. Stands up to the 15 year old bourbon and something I'd happily purchase again.

I actually prefer this new bottling - whatever its composition - to the earlier fruit-forward, cherryish bottlings of VWFRR 13, certainly they seem smoother and well-integrated. Julian does it again, you have to hand it to him.

Gary

Agreed. I don't know if anything new was mingled in, but the flavor profiles he creates are nothing short of astounding. Considering we are all expecting that there is no possible way the next version could match the previous. We almost expect a let down but none comes. Not with ORVW 10, Lot B, Pappy 15, or the Rye.

I think it would be cool if Julian put out a bourbon or rye brand that was specifically a yearly profile. Something like the OFBB where every year a different profile is chosen. It would be fun to see where he would go if he could play outside the current Van Winkle profiles.

Greg

Okay, I'm confused. I have a "G" from a few years back and I bought an "A" yesterday. Any reason why they started over at "A" if it is the same tanked whiskey? If this was mentioned earlier I missed it and apologize. Shouldn't this year be "J"?

Okay, I'm confused. I have a "G" from a few years back and I bought an "A" yesterday. Any reason why they started over at "A" if it is the same tanked whiskey? If this was mentioned earlier I missed it and apologize. Shouldn't this year be "J"?

Nope, we have not heard a reason for this, but I'm hoping someone will give us one.

Gosh darn it, it's almost as if he's trying to get us even more worked up on purpose! :skep: I could see someone practically soiling their shorts when they came across a shelf full of A-series bottles, only to read later they were the latest release! :banghead: ....

You do know there's more than 10 letters in the alphabet right Julian? :grin: :lol:

Gosh darn it, it's almost as if he's trying to get us even more worked up on purpose! :skep: I could see someone practically soiling their shorts when they came across a shelf full of A-series bottles, only to read later they were the latest release! :banghead: ....

Been there, done that. :hot:

Joe

Hey, no heckling Julian!

I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason for doing this, one that I hope he'll share with us.

Anything we might find notable to associate with the restart of the letters, Julian?

I'm still judiciously sipping my I bottle, since I can't find any more of it where I am. The store I got it at was selling it for 30 bucks and the guy there told me he sure wasn't getting any more of it.

Sorry. I have no really good explanation of why we went back to A on the label.

Just wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!

All the bottlings from the last 6 years have been the rye we have stored in a SS tank to stop aging. It's really 19 years old whiskey. So you are getting a hell of a deal-for now.

Julian

All the bottlings from the last 6 years have been the rye we have stored in a SS tank to stop aging. It's really 19 years old whiskey. So you are getting a hell of a deal-for now.

Julian

Hello

Since Julian can't even give an explanation from the top. Maybe a newbe can even give it a try.

In vocal communication A is often misinterpeteded as J. As an example the Army never has a J company as it is confused with A in giving vocal orders. Could it be that simple a solution as somebody asking what is the new number to put on this run and someone said J and the recorder with maybe no history on the lettering routine wrongly hearing A. Simple answer may not be right . But let's hear a better reason... Since no one must of been checking why not ???? It is great Rye whisky even if it had P for a code letter . I love this website appreciate all of you !!! Pete

What a great theory, I wonder if you are right. Fascinating info anyway, thank you.

Gary

Julian

Julian, thank you for the clarification. I picked up bottles A001 and A002 several weeks ago in NYC - and was curious whether these were remnants forgotten and re-discovered in a warehouse or new stock. I have bottles open from releases D and F open and pour these often to introduce friends to the magnificence of American Rye.

SSWC

A quick question:

When will the VW Rye be from freshly aged spirit?

I know the Saz 18 is a long way off, but what about a 13 year old? BT started new rye in, what, '99?

In thinking about this further, I realized that Sam's in Chicago has had a private Saz Jr. 10 y.o. for close to two years now. That means Buffalo Trace has at least 12 year old rye juice sitting in some barrels for Julian.

Now that I'm on this, I sure would like to see a mid-aged Rye out there in the market.

I did a side by side today with Frankfurt B and H. The H is excellent from nose to finish while the B bottle also start off at least as good on the nose but dries out after a short time in the mouth and a lot of bitter tannins start too kick in. In the finish the B bottle are very woody and not pleasant at all.

As I understand/think these bottles are both 19,5 years but B is 100% Medley and H is 50% Medley + 50 % Bernheim. It seems to me not only from these 2 bottles that the old Bernheim rye can stand lot more age than the ones from Medley.

Reading this thread I have learned that the labelling has started all over again with A. I don’t dare too post what I think about that.

Leif

Leif,

Your "B" bottling is only 15 years old. Strange that it would be woodier than the "H".

Joe :usflag:

Leif,

Your "B" bottling is only 15 years old. Strange that it would be woodier than the "H".

Joe,

I did go mostly for the taste when I did assume it was 19 years. However the van Winkle did not join BT until 2002 and the whiskey is distilled 1984 or maybe 1985. That would make 15 years old theoretically impossible. It have to be at least 17 years old, but probably older.

Leif

Leif,

The first US release of VWFRR was in 1999. That was the "A" bottling at 14 y/o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.