Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In thinking about this further, I realized that Sam's in Chicago has had a private Saz Jr. 10 y.o. for close to two years now. That means Buffalo Trace has at least 12 year old rye juice sitting in some barrels for Julian.

Now that I'm on this, I sure would like to see a mid-aged Rye out there in the market.

I would sooo love to have a new VW 12yo Old Tyme Rye to stand alongside the Family Reserve "13yo" (19yo tanked). It would also be a great way for the legions of VW faithful to start their tastebuds segueing from the Bernheim/Medley juice to the BT juice to come.

Using Fussychicken' spreadsheet (love the whiskey and spreadsheets!) we won't get the BT juice in the Family Reserve until 2017, when the allocated stainless juice sunsets itself.

I thought I remembered, but didn't find in the archives, a passage where Julian wrote about working with BT to tailor his products to profiles he prefers. I think this would have been about recapturing the SW wheater as much as possible, though, not really the rye (which I believe Julian has said that SW never made). Perhaps 2017 is just 13 years after the BT/VW agreement, which I believe was in 2003

Thirsty for that mid-aged rye,

Roger

Perhaps 2017 is just 13 years after the BT/VW agreement, which I believe was in 2003

Thanks for the kind words Roger. This is the juicy thread that has most all of the VWFRR details that I used to make the chart.

And since Julian stated that he "wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!" I decided to update my little sheet. Attached is the new one.

And Julian, you almost gave me a heart attack a couple of months ago. You can only imagine how freaked out I was when I started to see what I thought were original A bottles popping up! :bigeyes:

post-2056-14489815140108_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the kind words Roger. This is the juicy thread that has most all of the VWFRR details that I used to make the chart.

And since Julian stated that he "wanted to keep you guys on your toes!!" I decided to update my little sheet. Attached is the new one.

And Julian, you almost gave me a heart attack a couple of months ago. You can only imagine how freaked out I was when I started to see what I thought were original A bottles popping up! :bigeyes:

Steve,

Hm…..The B bottle got a Frankfurt bottling on the label and van Winkle did not join BT until 2002. As I understand it is a fact on this forum that all the old Medley is from 84 or 85 stock. That would make the B bottle at least 17 years old (probably older) and if there were no Lawrenceburg bottles with higher letters than A the whole list would be wrong.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just speculating.

Leif

On the bottle of the bottles there is a strange logo that spells SAV. Anyone knows what that stands for?

• 5 months later...

Picked up what was the last bottle of VWF Rye the other day - # I. Looks like MI won't be getting anymore as it appears to have been dropped from the State list. That sucks. Going to have to travel out of state to get more.

TJ

Picked up what was the last bottle of VWF Rye the other day - # I. Looks like MI won't be getting anymore as it appears to have been dropped from the State list. That sucks. Going to have to travel out of state to get more.

TJ

Josh

tried to PM you - didn't work.

Where did you find the Rye at. Got mine at Red Wagon shop in Rochester Hills. Need to get together on Friday?

Tim

Josh

tried to PM you - didn't work.

Where did you find the Rye at. Got mine at Red Wagon shop in Rochester Hills. Need to get together on Friday?

Tim

Sounds good. I sent a pm, hopefully it will come thru.

• 3 weeks later...

Just cracked my first bottle open this week. Bottle # G778. I love it! Tastes more like a bourbon than a rye to me though, not that that's a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it to be that way. If it were a bourbon then I'd have to say that it would be one of the better bourbons I've had. It must be 51% rye and 49% corn to get that flavoring. The aging also seems to have taken down the rye bite a bit too I guess. Either way I'm thrilled with it and would buy more if I see it. Purchased it on a drive-by at a hole-in-the-wall little beer shop that had a couple whiskeys on the wall behind the counter. It looks like it was there a long time. At $35 it was a steal.

$35 for a bottle of VWFR is a steal. I agree about the taste. In MI it is $55+ if you can find it. As stated above it has been removed from the state list. Too bad.

it's my favorite whiskey.

and at $40 here in Colorado, not cost-prohibitive.

It is now a favorite of mine as well. Wish there were more in these parts (and at that price :grin: )

Just cracked my first bottle open this week. Bottle # G778. I love it! Tastes more like a bourbon than a rye to me though, not that that's a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it to be that way. If it were a bourbon then I'd have to say that it would be one of the better bourbons I've had. It must be 51% rye and 49% corn to get that flavoring. The aging also seems to have taken down the rye bite a bit too I guess. Either way I'm thrilled with it and would buy more if I see it. Purchased it on a drive-by at a hole-in-the-wall little beer shop that had a couple whiskeys on the wall behind the counter. It looks like it was there a long time. At $35 it was a steal.

Gotta be some barley in there some where :grin:

it's my favorite whiskey.

and at $40 here in Colorado, not cost-prohibitive.

At that price, I would not be shy about stocking plenty of this one!

• 4 weeks later...

I just spotted another bottle but this time at $56. I had them put it aside for me and I'll be picking it up this Friday after I get paid. Man, $35 was so sweet. I have that price-point in my head now. At $40 I'd buy a case Downtown! I'm still getting it at $56 since I really loved it and I probably won't see more in these parts... the owner of the liquor store said he had just picked it up in Illinois.

It's a harsh mistress. Usually the last bottle I'll drink from on the bar and the one I most hesitate to open.

I have 2 in the bunker and 1 half finished that I opened about 3 weeks ago, I just like looking at it apparently as I drink through the other options at my disposal.

It's a harsh mistress. Usually the last bottle I'll drink from on the bar and the one I most hesitate to open.

I have 2 in the bunker and 1 half finished that I opened about 3 weeks ago, I just like looking at it apparently as I drink through the other options at my disposal.

Well said. I just picked that bottle up for $56 this morning. It's an "I" and the one open on my bar is a "G" which has been fantastic.

I also eye the bottle every night and then slap my hand and reach for something less rare. Tonight I'll probably treat myself though as I feel a bit less exposed now that one is finally in the bunker.

Well said. I just picked that bottle up for $56 this morning. It's an "I" and the one open on my bar is a "G" which has been fantastic.

I also eye the bottle every night and then slap my hand and reach for something less rare. Tonight I'll probably treat myself though as I feel a bit less exposed now that one is finally in the bunker.

I've got one bottle that's been sitting in the liquor cabinet for some time now, just waiting for that special occasion to be opened. But tonight I'm going to crack it open, as I found three more bottles yesterday at $40 each, in a store near where my wife works and didn't have enough money on me to grab them. I guess I'll be heading back for the score after reading all the glowing remarks.

I just ran upstairs to check out the bottle of VWFRR 13 that I already have and it says on the top of the label "I-1996." Now I'm confused as hell because I went back to the very first post in this thread and read each and every one thereafter, including Fussychicken's spread sheet, and that has the "I" bottle dated 2007. I also noted an earlier post in which BourbonJoe mentions that the first "A" bottling to be released in the US came out in 1999. Can someone explain why my bottle says "I-1996"?

I think I can answer my own question. After browsing the internet a bit more I discovered that the "1996" following the "I" is not the year, but simply a bottle number. I'm guessing the other bottles I spotted in the liquor store are also labelled "I" but with different numbers following the letter. Doh! In any event, anyone care to comment on the quality of the "I" bottlings from 2007?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.