Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess it didn't hold long enough! :lol: At $42 I'd drink it fast too. Hopefully you can get more in your parts.

I tried to make the VWFRR a "special occasion" pour that I would only sip now and then but my plans were foiled by its superb quality. I just couldn't leave it alone and I really enjoyed pouring some for friends so that I could watch their expressions. To a person, everyone who sampled it loved it. I was even gifted an extra bottle when the first four disappeared but now I really will have to ration it because I don't see it around often.

I tried to make the VWFRR a "special occasion" pour that I would only sip now and then but my plans were foiled by its superb quality. I just couldn't leave it alone and I really enjoyed pouring some for friends so that I could watch their expressions. To a person, everyone who sampled it loved it. I was even gifted an extra bottle when the first four disappeared but now I really will have to ration it because I don't see it around often.

Same here. I have one in the bunker and I cringe when I look at what's left of the one open on my bar.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up two bottles from the "A" bottling a couple weeks ago. I broke my "Rye" cherry earlier in the week and I can certainly understand why people enjoy this product so much. I found that my first sip was sort of underwhelming but as it sat in the glass for a little while it really opened up and had great flavor and a really long finish! :cool:

I keep my VWFRR that's open on the bar in a pappy 23 velvet bag. It makes it harder to get to, and most of my friends think it's not open...

Be nice, Julian and Preston are the only ones that will talk directly to us.

It's always a pleasure to see their posts here. If they're listening, I sure would like to know when a true 13 year-old rye is coming online. Will we have to wait until the stainless steel tanks are emptied first?

(If they're still listening. Thanks for everything.) :grin:

It's always a pleasure to see their posts here. If they're listening, I sure would like to know when a true 13 year-old rye is coming online. Will we have to wait until the stainless steel tanks are emptied first?

(If they're still listening. Thanks for everything.) :grin:

Heck, I'd like to get things rolling with a fresh new, 12yo Olde Tyme Rye!

No more of that old stuff! :lol:

Roger

jerk2.jpg

Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of the Chateau Latour?

Steve: Ah yes - but no more 1966. Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.

Roger

jerk2.jpg

Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of the Chateau Latour?

Steve: Ah yes - but no more 1966. Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.

One of the best movies of all times....

If the 2007 was the "I" bottles and the 2008 was the new "A", was there a 2009 edition? The year doesn't matter too much...I stocked up on some "A" bottles recently so the bunker is in good shape for the near future.

You know Roger, you're right. Forget that old Rittenhouse stuff. Saz 18? Over the hill. And this new Michter's 25? Who do they think we are, some boobs? They're dealing with sophisticated people here!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought up the last VWFRR bottle that I knew of in my area last week...that gives me 3 bunkered but I get the shakes thinking about what will happen when those 3 are gone! :(

The best rye ever to cross my palate (so far). So good, that over last 3 yrs been able to bunker 5 of the "I" issue and got one more in the crosshairs as soon as funds available.....if, somebody else don't find it first!

• 2 months later...

Just noticed that VWFRR is back on the state list. Don't know if any of the MI bourbons hounds have found any of the new stuff in state yet.

Will scout out a few stores that carriewd it in the past.

Just noticed that VWFRR is back on the state list. Don't know if any of the MI bourbons hounds have found any of the new stuff in state yet.

I wish you guys some good luck. That stuff is like gold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only 2,600 bottles of rye are released per year.

• 2 months later...

Ohhh El Capitan that's the prettiest picture I have seen on here for a long time.

Salute!

That is without a doubt the most beautiful picture I've seen this week

Roger

Amen to that! If I had a time machine and could only get one whiskey from the past it'd likely be that one. Although the VWFR 1985 that I just opened may just overtake it as my favorite of all time.

I scored a bottle just north of the Indiana border a couple months back.

• 3 weeks later...
I scored a bottle just north of the Indiana border a couple months back.

Nice pick up.

Metro-Detroit appears to be dry of the stuff.

Hear its the same problem everywhere

I saw a bunch of it in Kentucky when we were there for the sampler.

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.