Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 rye

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice pick up.

Metro-Detroit appears to be dry of the stuff.

Hear its the same problem everywhere

Ok guys..... I've scoured this whole thread and did not find my answer.:rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference from the E bottling (100% Medley) and the F bottling (50/50 mix)?

Scott, I wasn't sure when the cut off occurred exactly, but maybe it was when you stated because that information is pretty specific.

In my view, the mingled product (which I think may be Medley and UDV) is superior to the unmingled, good as VWFRR always has been. The latest bottlings seem to have a rich softness and long finish to them I don't recall from the earlier ones. Perhaps too less of a cherry fruit taste. This is as far as I can take it.

Gary

Ok guys..... I've scoured this whole thread and did not find my answer.:rolleyes:

You only looked through one thread? :rolleyes: There's a really great search function...:slappin:

The latest bottles I have found here is K and these are very hard to get. I doubt there has been any import to Europe of later fillings Timothy.

Leif

K? We stopped at "I" in the States.

Thanks Gary......

You only looked through one thread? :rolleyes: There's a really great search function...:slappin:

yeah..... but it was ONE BIG THREAD !!!!!:grin:

Scott, I wasn't sure when the cut off occurred exactly, but maybe it was when you stated because that information is pretty specific.

In my view, the mingled product (which I think may be Medley and UDV) is superior to the unmingled, good as VWFRR always has been. The latest bottlings seem to have a rich softness and long finish to them I don't recall from the earlier ones. Perhaps too less of a cherry fruit taste. This is as far as I can take it.

Gary

And so I will offer the contrarian point of view. While I haven't tasted the "E" Specifically (or maybe I have don't recall) I have tasted I think 4 different versions of the Medley only Rye and everyone of them I thought was better than the mingled version. Nothing against the mingled, it is still very, very good, but I get a doughy yeast like essence in it - which Gary may pick up as softness - that I don't like as much as Medley Rye.

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy any VWFRR for the right price, say sub $50, but i'd pay double for the Medley only stuff.

Can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference from the E bottling (100% Medley) and the F bottling (50/50 mix)?

Well, I'd agree that the early bottlings (the original A, B, C, etc.) were very good, i.e., when the product was 13 years old, give (not take) a year or so. But in the later years when it aged up to 18 years, I didn't like it as much, and then the mingling seemed a decided improvement. It would be good to do a comparative tasting because you're right, Christian, it's easy to forget some of the specifics.

Gary

Does anyone have a lead to even a single bottle of this in New England or NY? Been looking for it for about 8-9 months now. If so, send me a private message. Unfortunately I can't get booze shipped to MA.

Does anyone have a lead to even a single bottle of this in New England or NY? Been looking for it for about 8-9 months now. If so, send me a private message. Unfortunately I can't get booze shipped to MA.

PM sent.

PM sent.

• 2 weeks later...
VW rye is very bourbonesque.

Do you like it for that quality, or dislike it because of that? Neither?

I wish that more of the vanilla from the oak was present since it is more borbounesque. Otherwise I'd want it to run in the other direction, with less bourbon notes and more of the interesting rye spice notes.

But that's me...

VW rye is very bourbonesque.

Do you like it for that quality, or dislike it because of that? Neither?**

quote]

I like it like that, to me VW's are and/or should be unique and this rye definatley is unique.

Another trait that Van Winkles should have is that they should be utterly drinkable. VW rye is pretty darn easy to put down! :cool:

Another trait that Van Winkles should have is that they should be utterly drinkable. VW rye is pretty darn easy to put down! :cool:

I concur! I've got a bottle packed in a box with other stuff ready for a trip to the Outer Banks tomorrow.

Can't find any of this in Chicago lately but I have a few open bottles that should last until the next release....I hope.

Of the WLW09, PVW15, RittBIB, and VWFRR I took on the trip, the VWFRR is the only bottle that is "liked" by the other guy I'm with. It's 5 girls, one guy, and me.

Everything else seems to hurt everybody, but Matt sure appreciates the spice of the VWFRR! Indeed!

Still neck and neck with Saz18 as my favorite rye and three still in the bunker. Hooray!:lol:

The thing that gets me about the Van Winkle is that it was very ordinary rye whiskey when it was made. That just happened to be how they made rye at old Bernheim 20+ years ago. Then, of course, it wound up aging for much longer than intended.

Let's hope somebody has some rye in the pipeline shooting for a 10+ year old expression sometime soon. I hope, I hope, I hope.

Wouldn't that be nice?

That just happened to be how they made rye at old Bernheim 20+ years ago.

I thought VWFRR was a mixture of Cream Of Kentucky Rye and Medley Rye. Were either of these produced at Old Bernheim??

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.