What is your "everyday pour"?

ratcheer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since the forums have been pretty dead for the past few days, I thought I would ask a general question to try to stir up some discussion. What is your everyday pour?

I have two moderately priced and two fairly inexpensive bourbons that I go to, time after time.

First and foremost, Rare Breed ($31 at Alabama ABC store). Many of you probably know it is my very favorite bourbon, so damn the expense, I pour it whenever I want to. Extremely rich flavor and body.

Second, Knob Creek (normally $32 per 750 ml, but I managed to get a 1.75 L on sale for $47 in November). Excellent flavor that I liken to VSOP cognac. Pleasantly woody. Lots of different flavors come across. A great drink.

My economical (but, not cheap) choices are Old Forester 100 proof ($15.49) and Elijah Craig 12 yr-old ($16). The OF is almost exactly the same as Woodford Reserve (just a tad less smooth) at half the price. And the EC is my very favorite of the Heaven Hill offerings, with a beautiful maple-syrup aroma and flavor but mysteriously not the least bit sweet. EC is my favorite "warm me up" drink on a cold fall or winter evening.

How about you?

Tim

My "everyday pours" have remained fairly consistant over the last year. I usually always will have these four bourbons in our cabinet:

Maker's Mark

Jim Beam Black

Wild Turkey (101)

George Dickle #12

All these are fine bourbons that are reasonably priced. I also usually will rotate a fifth brand. These have included such bourbons as Old Rip Van Winkle and Knob Creek. Here is were I like to try different brands of bourbon. I have purchased and am looking forward to trying my first bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Of course this does not include the special nights when you break out the Pappy, Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve, or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

Todd

Tim,

The Elijah Craig 12 is a fantastic 'everyday' choice. Great taste, great value. And don't forget its older sibling, the EC 18 yr single barrel. Selling for $28 at ABC liquors, it's an amazing value in itself -- much more so when you factor its age and single barrel origin. Give the 18 a try.

Omar

I'm most likely to pour Weller Centennial if I'm in the mood for a wheater and Evan Williams Vintage (currently a '90) if I want a more traditional rye based mashbill.

BTW, the Weller does not seem to be on the shelves here in Vegas lately.

Thanks, I would love to try that, but I have never seen it. Availability is always a major issue when you have to deal with a state-run ABC store.

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hi-De-Ho Fellers! Mind if I play?

I keep these bourbons about in abundance > > > I buy them in the BIG 1.75l size.

1) Old Forester - good old regular 86 proof. I like it, but I can't get the 100 proof in Va :( I've been drinking this fine bourbon for 25 years or so. $21 per jug whenever it's 'on sale'

2) Elijah Craig 12 y.o. 94 proof - This bourbon just keeps getting better. I always keep a big jug af this handy. It's 'on sale' this month for $27.

3) Ancient Anciet Age 10 y.o. - This bourbon *used* to be 90 proof, but now it's only 86. Still this is the classic Old Stagg recipe. Now known as BT#2 this mashbill brings us; Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee, and Hancock's President's Reserve single barrel bourbons. You would pay $40 - $50 a 750nl bottel for these fine single barrels. I pick up AAA 10 y.o. on sale at $21 a 1.74l jug. Folks this is the most barginrific bourbon on the market! smile.gif

4) Good Old Jim Beam Black Label 8 y.o. - now 86 proof - Can't affod to drink Knob Creek everyday??? No neither can I. JB's Black Label is close and at $25 per 1.75l it's a good tasting deal.

Yes there are a lot of other bourbons I'd rather drink everyday, but no I'm not rich enough to afford them! So these are the bourbons I drink most frequently.

Belly up and enjoy! smile.gif

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn, I would have been disappointed if you HADN'T chimed in.

BTW, I think my ABC store's stock of AAA is still the 90 proof version. I'd better buy some before it rolls over.

Thanks, Tim

Indeed, EC 12 YO is my hands down choice for everyday pour as well. A superb bourbon regardless of price.

Omar, you've got to be the first person on this forum whom I've heard speak of the 18 YO in such positive fashion. I'm fond of it as well, but in a blind test, I bet I'd prefer the 12.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Can I join in on this from overseas guys?

As I'm writing this it is almost 1:00am so you must know what

kind of condition I am.Drunk and I love it!

Starting the night I had two beers,two japanese sake,shots of

Evan Williams 91 Single Barrels,and at home front of this PC.

Very difficult question,not because of the alcohol at this time,

Eligah Craigh 12y is a good everyday drink at $22 a bottle here

i n Japan.If my wallet would let me I'd like to sip some Hirsh series

or some Russels Reserve or Stone Castle,but that is like once a

year.When I go camping on my Harley,I take along a Rare Breed.

My friends always love it,even if they arent bourbon lovers.

Koji

O.K. now I've got an idea. I just can't get over anyone thinking AAA 10 is drinkable, hardly yet good. I'll be seeing Ken Weber and Elmer T. Lee this weekend, and I'm going to take my bottle with me -- have 'em check it out. Maybe I've got a rotten bottle. Yes Linn, I know I'm an oddball, but this stuff tastes like lacquer thinner to me. It ought to say "Glidden" on the label!

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

I almost always have some Old Fitz BIB on hand. Jim Beam Black is another regular visitor.

Though not an "everyday" pour, I do endorse Omar's recommendation of Elijah Craig 18 year old. A real revelation.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

>>Starting the night I had two beers,two japanese sake,shots of

>>Evan Williams 91 Single Barrels,and at home front of this PC.

Koji,

Sounds like tremendous fun, but I don't think I'd want to be you in the morning. tongue.gif

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

I guess I've got "old timey" taste - I love that rye and barrel char more than the sweetness of many of the bourbons listed. OGD BIB, Rare Breed and Van Winkle 13 YO rye (a great bargain at my favorite PA LCB store at $29) are old reliables for me. Now, to bring down everyone's wrath, I also like an occasional dark navy-style rum. Pusser's blue label (95.5 proof - the original shipboard rum of the British Royal Navy) is on sale for $12.99 and I just had to buy a couple bottles. Just think of me as a bipartisan Revolutionary War re-enactor! I'd sell booze to both sides from my tavern on the banks of the Mon.

Ralph Wilps

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well Jim you just might have a poor bottle, but you simply mayn't like the AAA flavor profile.I also remember that you don't like Knob Creek. I love it. It's not a sin not to like every bourbon. I surely don't.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn,

Perhaps, but I know the difference between bourbon I don't care for and bourbon that's plain wrong. I don't care for KC because it tastes like JB white label to me. I don't think there's anything amiss with it, nor do I feel it's low quality bourbon. In all fairness to Beam Distilleries, I havent tried any in the last four years, and maybe there have been changes (in my taste buds as well as the bourbon.)

The AAA I've got is off, or else it's just rotgut. Every single one of my friends has turned thier nose up at it -- sober, drunk -- state of mind doesnt seem to matter. I can articulate the flavor component I don't care for in it as well; aldehydes. It tastes just like an interrupted pilot flame in a gas oven smells...acrid.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Excellent! Pusser's sounds very interesting, but I have never seen it. I have been a longtime fan of Myers's, though. Is it similar?

Have you ever tried Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy? That is a real taste treat.

Tim

hi Jim

is that really 10 yrs old or just AAA ? IMO the 10yr is pretty good stuff but like you said you may have a bad bottle. life is good--den

Tim:

Pusser's blue laber (not the weak red label) is quite different from Myer's. As I recall, Myer's is basically an unaged rum with molasses added to give it color and flavor, so the dominant taste is that of alcoholic molasses. Pusser's gets its color from ageing (some would say "baking") in the Caribbean. It is stronger, has a heavier body and a fruity, tarry flavor that apparently is particularly appreciated after a watch spent squinting into a force 5 north Atlantic gale looking for U-boats (read the novels by Douglas Reeman for a great, salty sense of the heroism of that time). By the way, a substantial portion of the profit from each case of Pusser's sold goes to the Royal Navy seamen's relief fund. I have some more historical info if you want to contact me off-forum.

I'll have to try the Mt. Gay cane brandy on your recommendation...I'll let you know how it compares to a good bourbon!

Ralph

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yowzer Jimbo! They don't call it Anti-Aircraft Artillery fer nothin'!wink.giftongue.gif

Really now >> try this!!

Have Ken Weber pour you a taster's portion of; AAA 10 y.o., Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, and Hancock's President's Reserve. Have Ken mark the glasses so only he knows what's what.

Do this >> Pick out the pour that you think tastes best. Then pick out the one you think tastes the worst.

Honestly report back your findings.

Then fly to Virginia. Get totally [censored] faced. Loose all your pants. Go pants shopping at Super Wal-Mart at Midnight. Get arrested for nude shopping. Make the front page of Malt Advocate. Sell the movie rights to Greg Kitzmiller. End up getting laid somewhere in Mexico. You go to bed with Hide Klum, but wake up with Judge Judy!!!.laugh.gif

Chris Suqire sends you an autographed 'concert used' Rickenbacker, and an Ampeg Amp.

You are voted G.Q.'s Sexiest Man Alive..... then you wake up with a hangover. Damned AAA!!! tongue.gif

It's too bootylicious for ya Babe!!!laugh.gif

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Linn on Tue Mar 12 08:58:43 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

I usually rotate these three:

Evan Williams '90

Maker's Mark

Rock Hill Farms

plus I have a bottle of Pappy 20 yr. for special occasions. If UK goes past the 2nd round, that's good enough for me. ;)

There is a hole in Misery's fence.

They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

I Have a bottle of Jack Daniels Old No.7 Black Label because most of my friends insist on it when the visit. (most prefer the sweetness to actual bourbon)

For my personal everyday pour i have either a bottle of Maker's Mark or an Evan Williams Vintage (1990 @ the moment) on hand most regularly.

I save the Blanton's For Special occasions.

Such a great question. Despite all the great bourbons I have on the shelf, I find myself reaching for a few favorites everytime (including tonight, sittin' back right now at 4am with Old Rip):

1. WIld Turkey Rare Breed

2. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year

The two above have distinct differences in taste and my selection of either depends on my mood. But since both are reasonably priced, I say keep 'em pourin'.

Same goes for Wild Turkey 101... when visiting a drinking establishment with a limited selection it's always my pour of choice. Even though I don't keep it in my personal stock, Maker's Mark is also a favorite stand-by.

- wonderchimp

Speaking of old rip van winkle 10 year, do you think it is preferrable to the old rip van winkle 15 year? I only have a bottle of the 15 year, and that, along with rare breed and jim beam black (7year 90 proof version at the moment) seem to be what i am reaching for most often... I am trying to taste something new every once in a while... For a while i LOVED jefferson reserve, but i tried it again a few months ago, and it was not nearly as good as i remember... I wonder if it was because of changing tastes or because of something stupid like watering it down too much/not enough...

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Kris & Chris please allow me to butt in here. Jefferson's Reserve is good, but not $50 a bottle good. Your observations are pertinent in that both your bourbonic knowledge and your tasting abilities are growing. I was very happy to meet you both at last years Bourbon Festival at Bardstown, and I am likewise happy to see you both participate on the forum. YOU ROCK!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Linn on Sat Mar 16 08:39:25 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.