What is your "everyday pour"?

ratcheer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Suzie - Rock Hill Farms is one of your 'everyday pours'?! I'll get a divorce. Marry me now! Quick -> before the liquor stores close! Yes I'll buy you a ring.

Now open that bottle and take your pants off rapidly wink.gif!

I've often been accused of having a 'two track' mind. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I wonder just what they're talking about?

Bourbon&Babes.Bourbon&Babes.Bourbon&Babes.Bourbon&Babes.Borubon&Babes.Bourbon&Babes.

Do you feel a draft? Where's my Pants?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

The only reason I prefer Old Rip Van Winkle 10 over 15 for daily enjoyment is the price ($25 vs. $38). From a taste perspective, both are very similar. They share a lot of the same wonderful taste characteristics. Can't go wrong with either one. However, I give my vote to the 15 since I enjoy the stronger, fuller taste and higher proof (107 vs 90).

- wonderchimp

Speaking of good but not worth the $$ good, has anyone tried that $200 distillers masterpiece? I can't imagine what a bourbon is like that is worth $200... My friend has recently been purchasing loads of bourbon and distillers masterpiece was one of them. He says he will wait for his retirement to open it... I wonder how many people actually open such a bottle...

We look forward to seeing everyone again at this years bourbon festival...

Yes, Rock Hill is my favorite of the three. I guess I consider it my "good everyday" pour--reserved for semi-important events that are not quite worth the Pappy (pre-Final Four UK games, a good day at the races, etc.) Evan and Maker's are more "ordinary everyday" pours (lousy day at work, just want to relax, etc.). If you're ever in Florence, I'll pour you a double. But I'm afraid marriage is out of the question--my children won't like you. *LOL* ;)

--Suzie

There is a hole in Misery's fence.

They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

Although I have not yet had the opportunity to taste the 15-year-Old Rip Van Winkle, I do agree with your assessment of the 10-year-old Old Rip Van Winkle. It has a terrific “spicy†taste. It seems like I can taste something different with each drink. At $25 it is at a reasonable cost for quality 10 year bourbon. My only problem is that it is not readily available where I live, but have been able to special order it from a local liquor store.

Todd

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

No Kris I've only seen Distiller's Masterpiece. Never tasted the stuff. It's just too expensive for my means. As to your wealthy friend -> why buy the stuff if you're not going to drink it?

Linn Spencer

And to further cloud the issue the first batch of Distillers Masterpiece was finished off in cognac casks in France and now the new batch is done in Wine casks in California I believe. It goes for 195.00 at Liquor Outlet and 200.00 at Toddy's. My humble means prevents me also. It gets to be the same old song rather quickly as well, there's no way it would be 10 times better than knob creek or 15 times as good as beam black label. I would like to try some but I need someone else to foot the bill.

Bobby Cox

Bobby

You can get 20 of us to pitch in $10 each and we will sample it at the Bourbon Festival in Sept.

Bettye Jo

I am beginning to think that he is just much smarter than me... He will be retired at 44 due to a city job and he has all this money to spend on bourbon because he has no large mortgage to pay...

My problem now is that i have so many bottles open at once that i have noticed some of the corks are getting dry... My Jefferson's Reserve has a particularly cruddy cork... The Woodford reserve cork appears to be made of something better that has not dried out... Is there something special that you guys do to keep this from happening? One of the things that i like about bourbon is that it won't go rotten like wine after being opened... (and i can buy a couple bottles of something nice and stash it away and come back 20 years later and it should still be the same)...

Now THAT is a good idea... I was hoping that there would be some opportunities like that at the bourbon festival last year at the 'spirits garden' or whatever it was called, where you could buy bourbon by the glass... When we were in Kentucky we saw lots of Bourbons that we don't usually see around here, and it's hard to tell the good ones from the ones that just have pretty packaging... (but i did buy a bottle of Rock Hill farms based on the nice bottle and it turned out to be well worth it...)

Good idea Bettye Jo we'd all get a little over an ounce apiece. 2 down 18 to go . I'll bet Linn would be up for it.

Bobby Cox

I turn the bottles with cork on thier sides every so often like you do wine to keep then from drying completely out. As you no doubt know oxygen is the only thing that will hurt the bourbon. You will notice some of the bottles at Getz museum with cloudy whiskey and it is due to the seal failing. leave a little whiskey in a glass overnite and you will see the same effect. Will you be in Bardstown in September? Would you like to have an expensive drink of Bourbon if you do make it? I like to write down what I was doing and who I drank a particular bottle with on an index card and wash out the bottle and put it inside( I have a few of these) we could all sign a card and create a pretty neat Bourbon Festival 2002 artifact!

Bobby Cox

>I turn the bottles with cork on thier sides every so often like you do wine to keep

> then from drying completely out. As you no doubt know oxygen is the only thing

>that will hurt the bourbon.

Re: corks

It's funny how screwtops make better seals than corks, but higher end bourbons

(the ones that you're more likely to drink only on special occasions) tend to

be the ones that come with corks. Personally, I think corks are classier, but on

the other hand, I'm happy when I open Rip Van Winkle 15's screwtop since I

know for sure it made a good seal... no worries with the screw top.

I'd love to see bourbon go with the new "synthetic" corks that are becoming

popular with wine.

Re: oxygen

We must be very careful on the straightbourbon forum when we say

"the ONLY thing..."

As you no doubt know, there are TWO things that commonly degrade

bourbon: oxygen and UV light.

(Perhaps you were assuming that we all know better than to store our bourbon

in the windowsills of those big south-facing windows right next to the african

violets, which is not a bad assumption).

If a bottle with a loose cork is placed on it's side, will the cork eventually expand and make a tight seal or is the cork shot?

Bob Kaufman

Great idea, count me in. I've always wanted to try DM. Should we try the first or second bottling?

Bob Kaufman

Hey Bobby---Count Kauf in for 1 share---17 more ta go--------

I am not the connoisseur that most of you on this forum are. -----Yes, Jim Dear, I did have to get the dictionary out to find out how to spell it--------Being a line mechanic I have litterally worn more bourbon than I have drank. When the float sticks on the filler it's like Niagra Falls and you guessed it ---Ya have to climb up right beside it to cut the bourbon off from the main tank. I'ts a wet TEE shirt contest- even your shoes are filled with the stuff. It makes for a real nasty night so I always have a extra set of clothes in my locker. I have never been pulled over by the police after work but I bet ya if I did they would probably lock me up!!!!!!!! I cannot smell the good smell of bourbon any more. When you have worked around it as many years as I have you nose does not pay any attention to it-----

Bettye Jo

I know UV can have a bad effect on liqueurs and retailers are advised not to display them in windows, but what can it do to bourbon? I was under the impression that bourbon was not harmed by this exposure.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Count me in, too. I might not make it in Sept. (childcare issues), but e-mail me at miserys_fence@yahoo.com and give me an address where I can send a check. If I don't make it--consider it a gift wink.gif

--Suzie

There is a hole in Misery's fence.

They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well he is certainly smarter than I am as I will have to work 'till the day I die. Be sure to keep up with him so when he opens the bottle you can get a shot.wink.gif

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

The very best way to try some Distiller's Masterpiece is to get Omar to arrange a special StraightBourbon.com tasting event with Jim Beam and Booker Noe. Let them give us a taste for free! Wheeeeeeeee! Wouldn't that be fun?! laugh.gif

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Bettye Jo the very idea of you soaked down in bourbon cause's me to think impure thoughts.laugh.gif

Linn Spencer

Actually I didn't know about the UV exposure, I keep all my bourbon in the basement where it is cool and dark. I guess the labels could loosen up a bit there because it is somewhat damp.

Bobby Cox

Hey Bobby---------Where in the Heck are ya!!! ---- Suzie wants in too.---- Sixteen more ta go.---

Welcome to the forum Suzie!!!!! I will e-mail you my address when the festival gets a little closer.

Bettye Jo

Yeah, I'm in this is great. What a good idea Bettye Jo.

Bobby Cox

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.