Riedel Bourbon Glass

atkinsa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So has anyone tried them? Are they the real deal, or would I be just as good with a single malt scotch glass or a low ball? Also, did you order them online or did you pick yours up in a store? Where?

So has anyone tried them? Are they the real deal, or would I be just as good with a single malt scotch glass or a low ball? Also, did you order them online or did you pick yours up in a store? Where?

Yep, many of us use them, among other glassware:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5557&page=3&highlight=glassware

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1848&highlight=glassware

I picked up mine (4 of them) at a Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits. I don't know if you have this grocery chain in North Carolina but you could try any similarly large chain that has an extensive and separate wine and spirits section as they often sell glassware to.

Try an Advanced Search for "reidel bourbon glass" -- no quotes, note spelling. Select display posts, not threads. Among the 37 hits you'll find some nuggets worth your time.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hidden

All of those Riedel glasses are just too delicate and pricey for me.

I've found a great glass at World Market here in Houston (the store on FM1960, I haven't checked any others). They don't list these glasses on their website though, and I even called them and they couldn't match the numbers on the sticker with anything in their database (discontinued maybe?).

Here's a picture:

post-2419-14489813223243_thumb.jpg

The glass is 5 7/8" tall and holds 4 ounces, and the glass is thicker/stronger than that found on the Riedels. Oh, and they only cost $2.49 each.

If you have a World Market in your area, I recommend checking to see if they have these.

• 2 months later...

Last weekend while shopping at a Davenport IA. Super Target I noticed they are carrying the Riedel Bourbon Glasses. I just did a search of their main web site and found them listed there as well.

I think it really comes down to personal preference. I have them. I hardly use them. They are very small and somewhat difficult to handle for me.

My daily glassware for drinkin' whiskey is a nice cut glass low ball.

For serious tastings I tend towards the larger scotch glass.

The Riedel certainly serves it's purpose well, I just don't prefer it in terms of hand feel.

Greg

I think it really comes down to personal preference. I have them. I hardly use them. They are very small and somewhat difficult to handle for me.

My daily glassware for drinkin' whiskey is a nice cut glass low ball.

For serious tastings I tend towards the larger scotch glass.

The Riedel certainly serves it's purpose well, I just don't prefer it in terms of hand feel.

Greg

I'm with Greg, the Riedels are nice and all that but for everyday use I prefer something with some more heft.

I agree, and I prefer a shorter glass, it seems odd to have the whiskey slide down a high, narrow frame.

Of all the glasses I've used, I think my favourite is the one issued by Wild Turkey to promote its Rare Breed. Even to hold small amounts it seems perfect. It is a wide (but not oversize) rocks glass or tumbler with a heavy (one inch) base that seems to suit bourbon or any other whiskey. Oddly perhaps, I like it best with bourbon, malt whisky or Canadian can go in a similar but lighter glass especially the cut glass Irish or Irish-type.

I don't like cut glass for bourbon. Apart from the glass generally being too light (the Waterford I have anyway) the color of the drink can't be appraised as carefully as with a clear glass tumbler.

By the way, in nosing the empty Rare Breed glass which held the Weller Antique 107 I mentioned on the daily tasting thread, I am getting an interesting note of "barnyard" or "old wood" which must be from that bourbon. While not detectable in the beverage as sipped, whatever it is must add to the complexity of what is one of my favourite bourbons.

Gary

I just realised there are at least two glasses issued by Wild Turkey to promote Rare Breed. I meant the heavy-base rocks glass. The company also issued a stemmed cognac-style glass which I like too sometimes. My vbt #82 which will be up shortly was appraised in the latter but generally I prefer the rocks glass.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Actually, I found they work quite well, especially if you're like me and you drink your whiskey one way-- neat!

They work great for all of the virgin-oak American whiskeys, like Bourbon and Straight Rye, as their nose is powerful enough to work in this shape of glass, which funnels the aromas with a slight taper.

For Canadian whisky, Scotch whisky, or Irish whiskey, I would probably go with Michael Jackson's glass shape, which is similar to the Riedel bourbon glass, but with a gentle flare at the top, to help disperse the more subtle aromas inherent in those styles of whisky. I have found several new aromas in my Bladnoch 15-year Single Cask since I started using that glass...

Also, if you like Ports, Sherries, and Madeiras, the bourbon glasses work very well for them.

Actually, I found they work quite well, especially if you're like me and you drink your whiskey one way-- neat!

They work great for all of the virgin-oak American whiskeys, like Bourbon and Straight Rye, as their nose is powerful enough to work in this shape of glass, which funnels the aromas with a slight taper.

For Canadian whisky, Scotch whisky, or Irish whiskey, I would probably go with Michael Jackson's glass shape, which is similar to the Riedel bourbon glass, but with a gentle flare at the top, to help disperse the more subtle aromas inherent in those styles of whisky. I have found several new aromas in my Bladnoch 15-year Single Cask since I started using that glass...

Also, if you like Ports, Sherries, and Madeiras, the bourbon glasses work very well for them.

I'm not sure this makes any sense.

Why would you funnel more powerful aromas and disperse less powerful ones? Wouldn't you want to do exactly the inverse?

Personally I like the Riedel Single Malt glass for all whiskies, simply because the lip is large enough to allow the aroma to reach my nose while I sip. However since I manege to break every one of them I buy, I now use cheap glasses from IKEA with a similar overall size to the Riedel Single Malt. Not only are they 1/50th the price, I've yet to manage to break one.

i saw them at a Target this past weekend on sale for about $40 or so (for 4....i think)...! yikes. i'd like to have just ONE!

i have been using a 'red wine' stemless glass that has a snifteresque shape. works great. and cost $7 for 4 of them...at Target!

They definitely are selling these at Target. I just bought 4 more tonight for $29.99. I don't always drink my bourbon out of these glasses but if I am actually trying to evaluate the nose I have found these work pretty well.

I have all kind of fancy glasses for my wine and whiskey. I find they work well but I am so afraid of breaking them that I hardly ever use them. I use a nice balloon style wine glasses from Big Lots for most of my every day wine drinking and an old fashion glass that is heavy and had a candle in it for whiskey. Not the ideal but close enough for government work.

I like the Riedel Bourbon glasses a lot, since I mostly drink things neat. I find they really deliver the nose well. However, as others have mentioned, I feel a bit uneasy and afraid of breaking them (none broken after a year - damn, now I jinxed it).

-Kevin

I haven't bought any fancy bourbon glasses, but for wine glasses I shop at Tuesday Morning. They get a variety of different style of crystal wine glasses. Sure, I break them, but at $15 or less for four, it doesn't hurt so bad. I just buy more.

I like using crystal wine glasses for the same reason I use cloth napkins: it just adds a nice touch to the environment.

I'm pretty happy with my Riedel glasses. I think I ordered them at Amazon. But sometimes I prefer a rocks glass or snifter, depending on the whim of the moment.

Craig

I just picked them up a Target ($30) so I could have soemthing to open on Christmas morning. I plan to use them for drinking my higher end stuff neat (both rye and bourbon). For everyday pours, I suspect I shall continue to use my more than functional Ikea glasses.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.