Whats the deal with non - duty?

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

i have a friend in british columbia who likes Maker's Mark 101which is not available in Ohio where I live,and when i checked their website it said it was only in non duty markets. what does that mean and what makes it unsaleable in Ohio??

Someone please explain!!!!

Maker's Mark 101 is (often) my favorate bourbon. I've never seen it for sale in the US. I had to pick mine up in a duty free in Mexico. Some spirits are only exported to certain countries. Ironically, some fine spirits are only exported and not available to natives. Likewise, some are only available in duty free. It seems that marketing budgets, distribution channels, potential market share, and perceived tastes are the reasons.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John please tell us just what 'duty free' means and just what is a 'duty free shop'? Does it mean that you still have clean underwear?

My mother told me never to drink bourbon without putting on clean underwear.She also told me not to rock 'n' roll or have sex with sluts. Thirty years later my hearing is shot; my wallet is empty, and my underwaer has been defiled.

Thank GOD for Bourbon! laugh.gif

Now has anyone seen my pants??

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Duty Free shops are generally in international ports that do not have duties assessed as part of their "export" process. Which has nothing to do with the fact that I have clean underwear, do not have sex with sluts (my wonderful wife makes them unnecessary), but do like rock and roll.

so does that make the liquor at these places cheaper?? (if so i must plan a trip)

is that why a lot of the duty free market only product i find when searching distillers cites tend to be high end, which would make sense if they dont get charged as much for the products as they would in a reguular US market.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeez! You're a lucky man John! To have a wife that loves you and doesn't force you astray is a sublime comfort.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I believe you are correct on both points.

However, there are strict limits on the amount of liquor you are allowed to bring back home from a duty-free port. I don't know about the current laws, but the last time I did it, I could bring either four or five bottles (750 ml) of generic duty-free liquor plus another four or five bottles of Puerto Rican rum. Or maybe the additional stuff could be anything purchased in Puerto Rico, because I don't think I bought any Puerto Rican rum. (It was in 1990, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I think those were the rules.)

So, if you are going on a trip, anyway, it will be worth your while to bring back your limit of expensive liquor. But, I don't think it would be worth the expense of a trip just to get the duty-free liquor.

Tim

If you are close to canada, maybe you can take a drive there... We took a trip to niagara falls, and there were duty free stores at most of the bridges it seemed. The duty free store was set up such that after you picked out what you wanted, they had you drive to a pickup window and get it from there... there is no way you can drive anywhere except directly over the brigde back to the US. They didn't have much there to speak about... We did find a Jack Daniels Silver select, but that was in a duty free store that we hit on the way over, i think it was one intended for canadians that visit the US...

I believe the rules were that you were able to bring one liter per person after staying for two days in canada... Every time i asked about what happens if you want to buy more, i got responses ranging from 'the customs people won't want to do the paperwork for just a little bit more' to "$40 a bottle"...

Who knows... When we came back, they didn't ask us anything... They asked us where we lived, looked under the truck, and told us to go...

well living in north central ohio means that Canada is a day trip (but kentucky is a short weekend away . . . .decisions, decisions) so maybe i will have to plan a trip soon :)

Ohio is one of the worst states (Linn will point out that Virginia is another, so is Pennsylvania) because it is what is called a "control state." The state of Ohio is the only distributor of liquor in the state and decides what will be listed, i.e., available for sale. The state used to be the only retailer as well, but that was privatized a few years ago.

If you go to Kentucky, you will find a much greater selection of products not available in Ohio than you will in Canada, without having to deal with international border crossing of any kind. Kentucky just looks like a third-world country but is not, in fact, one. You will be able to find well stocked liquor stores just over the bridge from Cincinnati and can go to Skyline Chili on your way home.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

amen to that. any of the state stores outside of a major city (in my case greater Columbus) is almost a complete wasteland. they think that its a privilage to sell you Jacks old no 7 as top shelf stuff. I get almost all the high end stuff i have while visiting my parents in MA, cause there is liquors stores everywhere with much larger selections (and generally cheaper prices due to competition). there were 4 liquor stores in the neghborhood growing up in MA (including one semi specialty store my DAD dug) as opposed to only one in the ENTIRE county i live in now in Ohio. bleah

I grew up in Mansfield, Ohio, and can remember going to the State Store down on the square with my mom or dad. One each of all of the products available for sale were displayed inside a glass case on the wall. Below the case was a narrow counter littered with little note pads and pencils. You wrote down what you wanted and presented your list to the civil servant behind the counter, who went back into the warehouse to fetch your order.

For you non-Buckeyes, Ohio law considers anything over 40 proof to be spirits, which must be sold in a State Store. The stores have been privatized and are now self-service, but the 40 proof dividing line remains. Anything below 40 proof (e.g., beer, wine and some liqueurs) may be sold in grocery stores and other outlets.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

from what my in laws say, in marion county you would look at a list to see what you want and then have to pull up to a drive through to recieve your order, much like an alcoholic mcdonalds

I used to live in Meigs County, Ohio, and the nearest state stores were in Athens and Pomeroy--each a 30-minute drive. Now I have 2 pretty decent liquor stores within walking distance of my house, and if I ever feel up to a 30-minute drive for old times' sake, I can go to the Party Source store.

I'm SOOOOOO glad I moved back to KY! wink.gif

Suzie

There is a hole in Misery's fence.

They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

Another Happy Camper in the Bluegrass State!!!! When you go to the Party Source prepare to be Overwhelmed row after row of every spirit imaginable piled to the ceiling. Life is Good. Thanks for the offer to get in on the Distillers Masterpiece Suzie!

Bobby Cox

No problem, Bobby!

I was born and raised in Louisville, but have moved around all over OH and IN with my late husband's job. Now I'm living in Florence, and I intend to stay here. smile.gif Another bonus--I'm only 5 minutes from the racetrack! (Note--they don't have any good bourbon there, trust me. Take a flask.)

Yep, Party Source is awesome; I got my bottle of Pappy 20-year there. I'm only 90 minutes from both Louisville and Lexington; plenty of choices there, too.

Suzie

--Paul Gallico

Hey Suzie ,

I'm almost ashamed I guess I should be proud about the amount of money I've spent there. Any time I need something that costs over 500 dollars my wife very quickly points to "The Collection"! There's the money right there she'll say. I don't know who she is to talk there's 2 bottles of Blanton's that she bought. I think she bought the Baker's and the Evan Williams too.

Bobby Cox

Sounds like a good wife! Mine gets pissed even when I buy a bottle of Old Forester. "What, you bought ANOTHER bottle of bourbon?"

Tim

Ah, the advantage of being single.......*LOL*

Suzie

--Paul Gallico

She has her moments I guess we all do but on the whole most things fall on the plus side rather than minus.

Bobby Cox

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.