Old Distillerys

Beakerboy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some family came to visit me last weekend and I took them to Woodford Reserve to teach them a little about Bourbon. Since we were in the area I swung us past the abandoned Taylor Distillery down the road. This was the first I'd seen it and we were all very impressed.

Are there any other abandoned distillerys tucked away in the bluegrass?

Thanks,

Kevin

Are there any other abandoned distillerys tucked away in the bluegrass?

Yes, but none as dramatic as Old Taylor/Old Crow. There are quite a few sites where the warehouses have been retained for use by existing producers, but the other buildings have been demolished. In other cases, the property has been converted to something else entirely, though many of the distillery features remain.

• 2 weeks later...

The Old Lewis Hunter distillery still stands in Lair, Kentucky. That little town is between Paris and Cynthianna, just off Route 27. Looks abandoned, but there is a lock on the gate. It has 4 or 5 buildings on the site.

• 2 weeks later...

If one takes McCracken Pike out of Versailles on the way to Wooford Reserve, There is an old stone and wood structure about 4 or 5 miles out of town on the left that was one. The farmer now uses it as a tobacco barn. I haven't been out that way in 10 or 15 years, but I will try to drive down next weekend and take some pics.

• 1 month later...

i am trying to find out about a distillery called dowling distillery in lawrenceburg KY I have a very old bottle that has no name on it except VERY RARE COLLECTORS ITEM AGED 20 YEARS. it is an unopened bottle any feedback would be apreciated

The Old Lewis Hunter distillery still stands in Lair, Kentucky. That little town is between Paris and Cynthianna, just off Route 27. Looks abandoned, but there is a lock on the gate. It has 4 or 5 buildings on the site.

Thanks for that! I knew there was a distillery around Cynthiana at some time in the past but couldn't find details. I have to go to Cynthiana once in a while (to visit the Post-It Note factory), so I'll now have something interesting to look for on the way.

The Dowling family was associated with a couple of different distilleries. Waterfill and Frazier comes to mind because we were just talking about it in another thread. I think what you have is a bottling that Julian Van Winkle III did at the Hoffman Distillery (aka Old Commonwealth), hence the Lawrenceburg ID. I don't think the whiskey was Stitzel-Weller, as most of Julian's own bottlings were, but I can't say off the top of my head who made it. The main point is that there wasn't a Dowling Distillery in Lawrenceburg, except as a DBA for Hoffman on that one occasion.

Either this person is not getting the answers he/she wants, or isn't reading the answers he/she is getting, but personally I would say the subject has been exhausted. Thanks for refreshing my memory with that link, Ed. This was a Ben Ripy bottling, pre-Van Winkle, of whiskey that might have been distilled at DSP #51, or somewhere else, but resided last at DSP #51. Some people say it's pretty good, some people say it's not. Its provenance is interesting but somewhat obscure, which might hurt its resale value, since it's not a "name" rarity, like VVOF. Best case scenario on eBay might be a couple hundred dollars.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.