BMH 23 yr Rye

luv2hunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've read your reviews of the 18 yr rye but today was the first time I've seen a 23 yr rye on the shelf. Anybody tried it?

Dawn

Dawn, yes, I have tried it and absolutely loved it. From a previous thread I mentioned the ryes I did for an article and BMH 23 rye was my favorite. Even more than that it's one of the best whiskies I have had to date.

Guess I better go rescue it for a gazebo table :cool:

Dawn

I was wondering if the 23yr would be too woody and overaged.

I've heard BMH is the same run and warehouse as Willet and Red Hook. Anyone have any experience on how BMH 23 compares? Not that I can afford it right now with prices up there so high...

There is wood in this. Not as much as other bourbons that I have had though at much younger an age. I like wood flavor sometimes so I'm not necessarily a good judge on this. I haven't tried Willet or Red Hook but I do enjoy this.

There is wood in this. Not as much as other bourbons that I have had though at much younger an age.

Sweet, did you taste the BMH 23 bourbon or rye? You mentioned in your statement above 'bourbon', so I wasnt sure if you were referring to the rye or bourbon. I haven't tried the BMH 23 bourbon yet (although I do own it), but like I said I love the BMH 23 rye.

I have the rye. The bourbon I was referring to in that post Pure Kentucky XO which is very woody. That was the first bourbon where I was able to pick out a real wood flavor.

Because of that, I can now taste it in other spirits. The BMH Rye is slightly woody to me. Slightly. I love it as well though.

The Pure Kentucky XO, at least the last bottle I had, would be a good example of a bourbon that's too woody, in my opinion.

No that is not mine, but that is interesting. I'll have to read more on that blog.

Here is my link to the archives page of the Top Shelf articles. The new rye feature is in there, but the magazine doesn't get officially released until later this week.

http://www.app.com/goodlife/topshelf

I just freelance for a magazine in NJ by the shore. Other than that I am an avid lover of many spirits. whiskies, rums, tequilas, wine, cognac, etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.