Gentleman Jack

CrownVicLX
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sipping some Gentleman Jack right now, though it is a little early.

I'm still VERY far from a whiskey connoissuer, but I like this particular pour.

Good nose and it finishes well with almost no harsh aftertaste. I wish it was a higher proof, though.

• 2 months later...

Gentleman Jack is extremely good if you like Bananas. And I like bananas like a chimp. It has a distinctive fried Banana chip taste to it.

IIRC, GJ is filtered 3 times. IMO, too much of the original taste of the product is lost.

Filtered twice, actually.

In any case, I've had one bottle and I was quite impressed. I would probably buy it again.

Gentleman Jack is extremely good if you like Bananas. And I like bananas like a chimp. It has a distinctive fried Banana chip taste to it.

wow. my palate must be accurate...just reported in the what are you drinking tonight thread, i said

"first big sensation is butter or butteriness...would this simply be regular JD watered down (with good water!) and a pad of Amish butter???? nah...but it's really nice, almost BUTTERSCOTCHy....and, yes, i am sensing sauteed plantains or fried green bananas....

this is pretty much liquid stealth candy.

nice. very nice. when i am in the mood for something that isn't too complex at all, but interesting enough. and i know it won't bite me.

impressive! at least in the sense that i was expecting something TOTALLY different. maybe that's the key to this first pour.

i still prefer a real love bite in my whiskey and bourbons, but this is different enough. and now i am interested in the barrel select version of JD...."

:)

I find it to most reminiscent of apple cider...

i tried again and i sense that since you mention it. it's got a few things going on. nothing too complex or too simple. interesting bottle for sure.

IIRC, GJ is filtered 3 times. IMO, too much of the original taste of the product is lost.
(orange italics bold MY EMPHASIS!!! :) )

that might be a good thing...

but all kidding aside, i am now finishing this little bottle off in 3 days easily because it is too easy to down. like candy. almost.

and i have to add, i am still intrigued by this non-bourbon southern whiskey...

aside from the established plantain/banana presence and butterscotch, i am actually catching odd WHIFFS of pecans.....

= pralines

....now what about folks who have never tasted bananas or pralines.......what would they experience?

the question arises:

the Tabula Rasa tongue??????

• 2 weeks later...
Sipping some Gentleman Jack right now, though it is a little early.

I'm still VERY far from a whiskey connoissuer, but I like this particular pour.

Good nose and it finishes well with almost no harsh aftertaste. I wish it was a higher proof, though.

Ditto on the higher proof. I do not like JD. However, I wanted to buy a bottle of whiskey to keep at my parents house. I also wanted to get something that my brother-in-law would like as well. Since he does like JD I decided (after consulting this site, of course) to get a bottle of GJ. I was pleasantly surprised. It seems that the extra run through the charcoal gives it a really nice heavy-on-the-char taste... which I like. I'd certainly buy it again. Now, if only I can get my brother-in-law into real whiskey!

The 375ml size is on sale here in PA for $10.59 out the door until the end of the month. That makes it a pretty good deal.

The 375ml size is on sale here in PA for $10.59 out the door until the end of the month. That makes it a pretty good deal.

you got that right!

it's almost too drinkable! very butterscotchy; no hinting at it! not a bad thing...(just no challenge or subtle nuances).

how does it compare to the barrel select?

• 2 weeks later...

I was given a bottle of this a few days ago in return for a favor I did for a friend. Never had it before, but I tried it and agree that it's very smooth, but not too much going on. To me the JD flavor is still there, I could have pegged it as JD in a blind test I bet, but it's mellowed to a much more drinkable (ok, very drinkable) state than regular black label JD. I also agree that it would be better at a higher proof. Does anyone know how many years they age GJ?

If smoothness was a goal Bedford & co certainly achieved it. At 100 proof I'd pay the premium but at 80 I won't. Again.

Regards,

Squire

We just got re-stocked on this, and it has a very attractive new bottle and label:

gentlemanjackkr2.th.png

Too bad it's still only 80 proof, though. :frown:

Crash, does the pretty bottle and new label come with a price increase?

Squire

Good question, Squire. I'll have to check and get back to you on that. I don't THINK that the price went up, though.

*Edit: Well, the last time we bought it in 2006, we sold it for $23.99. Now we have to sell it for $25.99. Not sure if this had anything to do with the new package or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.