Rittenhouse 21

RedVette
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am sitting here with a glass of Rittenhouse 21 Rye and I am not sure what I am tasting. This is the second time I have had a pour from this bottle, and both times I have had to remind myself that it is Rye. Now all the other Ryes in my collection, from bottom shelf Overholt all the way to the Willetts are not like this, they are all obviously Rye with a capital R. This glass tastes a lot like EC 18, grass and oak are the predominent flavors with tobacco and mint in the background. There is none of the Ryecrisp flavors that come leaping out of the others. Anybody want to guess why this is the case?

Even I can tell that the distinctive characteristics of wheat-recipe and rye-recipe bourbons give way somewhat to the barrel influence with increasing age.

I wonder whether that effect is responsible for your perceptions in this case.

Have you tried the Saz 17 y/o? (Not that years are always equal in their effect.) If so, did you notice any diminishing of what you call "Ryecrisp" flavors?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I love Saz 17, and while I find it unique in its grassy, herbal character, I would not mistake it for anything other than rye.

One description I've heard of ryes (was it dgonano or stoopsie?) is the nose characteristically reveals blue-flower notes (lilac, lavender, violet), and spice is another common flavor descriptor. Perhaps ryecrisp is not always noticeable, but is just one of a family of common characteristics.

I haven't opened my bottle of Ritt 21 yet - but I was very close to doing so after reading this.

I

I haven't opened my bottle of Ritt 21 yet - but I was very close to doing so after reading this.

I hope yours fares better than the one we put in a tasting against Willett's Barrel Proof Rye and LeNell's Red Hook Rye (both first generation). The Ritt showed extremely poorly against these (yes, I know it's only 100 proof). YMMV.

Joe :usflag:

Have you tried the Saz 17 y/o? (Not that years are always equal in their effect.) If so, did you notice any diminishing of what you call "Ryecrisp" flavors?

Saz 17 is currently my favorite whiskey, it screams "RYE" to me. The 20 year old Willett also has a lot of Rye character, but it is somewhat muted against a heavier oak layer.

After recently doing a rye tasting and article (to be published soon)

the Rittenhouse 21 was the closest to bourbon of the bunch IMO while still being rye whiskey.

Others tasted that same day:

Hirsch 22

BMH 23

Vintage 23

Old Potrero 19th cent

Saz 18

CC21

Michters 10

VWFR 13 (although not really 13 but rather 18-19)

Wow, I'd love to have been part of that little test. I'm definitely looking forward to your article. Please let us know when it's out and where.

the Rittenhouse 21 was the closest to bourbon of the bunch IMO while still being rye whiskey.

Yep, Rittenhouse 21 tastes like a Heaven Hill Bourbon to me. It tastes like a good Bourbon, but for the price, it should taste like a great Bourbon.

This is fun.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.