New Hotalings bottlings

Jake_Parrott
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, that rhymes!

Anyway, LeNell's had 11 and 12 year old Old Potrero "Hotalings" bottlings--both 100 proof, the 12yo labeled as "Bottled in Bond." $71 for the 11, $90 for the 12. I picked up both (the last release, a 10yo, is one of the most interesting whiskeys I've ever tasted, with unconscionable depth and an endless finish--oily like the malt spirit it is, but fiercely rye-y as well), but won't taste them until Thursday at the earliest.

I am a fan of Old Potrero. Sounds interesting. Let us know what they taste like! The price IS mighty steep, but worth it? Hard to say. I was willing to drop $60 for a bottle, but......:rolleyes:

Aren't the Potrero bottlings the only 100% malted rye whiskey made in commercial quantities in the world?

Aren't the Potrero bottlings the only 100% malted rye whiskey made in commercial quantities in the world?

I know of no other.

These whiskeys are delicious. But they are heavily in the malt spectrum--the 11 year old with a lot of the same citrus/yellow plum elements as Redbreast, and the 12 year old fuller, rounder, richer, like a less peaty Highland Park 15. Both are very pure expressions. But they are very difficult to compare with American straight whiskey.

There is a distillery in Austria makes rye whiskies,the name is Waldviertler Roggenhof (roggenhof means rye farm)but i`ve never taste any of its products.Thanks for the news about Potrero anyway,another quest:grin: .

Eric.

"Waldviertler Whisky is our own individual creation and registered trade name. We succeeded in combining the special attributes of the 'water of life' with the mythical properties of the Waldviertel."

Interesting.

Web site is in English.

Well,not only the Irish believe in little people.Mystical i don`t know but i`m gonna try some of their products soon i`m getting curious,i knew it excisted but never took time in investigating it. Eric.

The whiskies distilled by Mr. Haider look most interesting. As I recall, the last few issues of Jim Murray's pocket guide give taste notes on some of these.

What interests me too is whether in making these kinds of rye-based products, the distillery is continuing a local or regional tradition.

That rye is an element of numerous German and European (e.g., Dutch) spirits is undoubted.

While some of these have been given barrel age (e.g. Fillier's genevers of which rye is an important component, and which do not employ juniper), I don't think a style (at least in modern times) of long-oak-aged whiskies has existed there. But maybe it did, and maybe these products are a reflection or recreation of that.

If so, it would tend to show that the straight rye whiskey of America (which led to bourbon) is a direct import from the old Country - setting aside for the moment the aspect of using (in America) all-new charred barrels. But if rye whiskey did come from Europe to Pennsylvania in particular, the fact that charred barrels were later used exclusively to make rye in the States does not lessen the importance of importation aspect.

If anyone has the oportunity to meet Mr. Haider it would be interesting to obtain his thoughts on this of course.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads-up on this. It looks interesting. I see Blanton is listed, so presumably not all the products are technically pot still (I guess Blanton is partly, though).

I liked the part in the Dutch section about "tasten and nosen", I can dig it. :)

Gary

Just came upon this video from Anchor. Fritz shows some good images of early stills. Note how he mentions that he cannot call his 18th Cent. Whiskey a "Rye", and might have something more to say about that...

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/anchordistilling_video.htm

I am left with a stronger impression of the work, thought, and passion he puts into his spirits. Makes me want to try some Hotalings again. I finished a bottle a while back, but would like to give it another go.

...Makes me want to try some Hotalings again...

Oh that can be arranged at Study Group, where all your dreams can come true. See you tonight.

Roger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.