Russell's Reserve Rye?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I receive this postcard from Pernod Ricard USA. Nothing special, just a list of their brands with the names and contact information for their main staff PR people. So I scan the brands list and under "bourbon" I see all of the usual Wild Turkey suspects, including Wild Turkey Rye, but then after Russell's Reserve (bourbon, presumably) they have listed "Russell's Reserve Rye."

I have made inquiries and will report what I learn but, based just on the name, I'm interested. Presumably, it will be a more-premium version of the existing WT Rye, perhaps a 10-year-old, as RR is a 10-year-old bourbon. Stay tuned.

Has anyone else heard about this?

That's fantastic news! Just hope it isn't a misprint or something intended for the export market.

-Mike

Chuck,

I have thrown a few lines in the water....will let you know if I hook some information.

Jeff Mo.

Here's what I've learned:

It is being bottled as we speak and will be on store shelves in late September. It is a U.S. release. It’s a six-year-old straight rye that will retail for about $24.00. An official press release should go out this week.

Good news, as is the price. I imagine the idea is to offer a deeper, more barrel-influenced version of the current 4 year old WT rye. Allowing too for how age statements often are exceeded in practice by what is in the bottle, I would think this new whiskey may have whiskey in it even older than 6 years. Maybe, say, if the current 4 year old has some 6 mingled in, the new 6 will have some 8 ditto, or something like that. Anyway, we look forward to this and available proof information.

Gary

Do that mean US only release Chuck?

Leif

Probably. But sooner or later they will materialize at The Whisky Exchange or in some German shop. At least that´s my experience with these kind of releases.

As far as I can tell, the bourbon Russell´s reserve is a US release (I have never seen a 700 ml bottle) and it is all over the place in Europe.

Do that mean US only release Chuck?

Leif

No, it doesn't. All I know is that it is being released in the U.S. I don't know where else, if anywhere else, it is being released. We should know more in a few days. I also don't know the proof, though I'm willing to bet it will be 90.

I agree, Gary. The WT Rye is probably 4 to 6 years old and the RR probably will be 6 to 8.

90 proof. Well, I'll probably buy some. But I hope it isn't a way to faze out the standard 101 proof rye. I quite like WT rye and would mourn the demise of the standard bottling.

With the RR designation I don't think that the WT Rye as we now know it is being replaced. I look forward to tasting this Rye.

Awesome news. Not too much of a step up in price from Wild Turkey Rye.

WT rye is only 15.99 in PA, so for us it's a step up.....IF we get it here (no guarantee by a long shot). I hope it does show up here. I'm a big fan of the WT (both taste and value), and would very interested in giving this a taste.

This sounds good, although I'm not quite sure I'm ready to trade proof for an age statement.I'm sure a bottle or two will get a shot at convincing me though.

I love all the ryes hitting the shelves in the last few years...it's good to see the producers beginning to believe that there is room in the market for something else.

Chuck,

The people at Wild Turkey's Customer Care are completely clueless. Here is what they told me:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about Wild Turkey Bourbon. We

always enjoy hearing from loyal customers.

Russell’s Reserve 90 proof and Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof are two different

products. They are both only sold in the 750ml size. If your local

retailer does not carry these, you can ask that they order it for you from

their distributor.

SWEET!!!! :cool:

I'm much more interested in this than Templeton rye, which I can't get anyway--I was considering an order of it through Binny's, but now I'll just wait for the Wild Turkey RRR.

The people answering email must be the same people who are "maintaining" the web site, which still shows the 101 proof Russell's Reserve bourbon bottle.

Age v. proof?

I'll try any new Turkey product regardless of either, but I'd really be surprised if they lowered the proof. The WT standard rye is freaking great, IMO, and adding some years on it is a super sweet idea, but dilluting it? Not as excited at that possibility.

You would think Wild Turkey would want to have all except barrel-proof expressions at 101 proof because that, to me, is their signature.

Being a fan of both WT Rare Breed and their rye offering I had at times wondered what a Rare Breed Rye ( a blend of 6, 8, 12yr. stock) would be like.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is great news! WT rye and or Rittenhouse Rye BIB are for me daily pours as I always seem to have one or the other both open at all times. I am hoping for 101 proof though. I wish they would boost RR bourbon back up to 101 proof as well. Good stuff it is.

We were at Wild Turkey during the KBF and were told that the RR Rye was not released yet.

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.