W.C.Fields

shennig608
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's a pretty cool find. It doesn't look particularly old, i.e., not from Fields heyday. The label bears a resemblance to some Heaven Hill label designs. McCormick is another possibility, as they were big in the decanter biz. Even Kulsveen's operation is another possibility. He has done a lot of decanters on Americana themes, primarily for export to Asia. There should be a place of origin identified on the label somewhere. What does that say?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Have you looked for the D.S.P. number? If it's old I suppose it predates upc codes . That bottle reminds me of an old I.W.Harper bottle.

Bobby Cox

In the bottom line of the Label, what can´t be seen on the attached picture is:

Especially selected and bottled by Turtle Bay Distilling Co. Lawrenceburg, Kentucky

Distributed by Carillon Importers, Ltd. N.Y.C. 10022

In the glas, under the label is:

4/5 QUART

In the glas, on the ground site of the bottle is following:

69 68

5 D401

On the bottle stamp is US Internal Revenue Tax Paid Distilled Spirits with an American eagle..

The fact that it's a fifth means it dates to before the switch to metric. The bottle dates are consistent with that and probably right: 1968-1969. Carillon is best known as the outfit that distributed Absolut and built it into a major brand under the direction of president Michael Roux. They subsequently became US distributors of Stolichnaya. Lawrenceburg suggests Hoffman as the source, the operation Julian VanWinkle now owns. I seem to recall Julian stating at one time that Hoffman was in the decanter business.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.