Your most disappointing purchase?

arsbadmojo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mine would have to be Elijah Craig 18 Single Barrel.

I bought it after trying the sublime Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 YO. I thought 'if this is what really old bourbon is all about - I'm a believer!'

I'm a big fan of Elijah Craig 12 (although my latest bottle isn't up to par) so I figured it would be everything I love about the 12 YO with the benefit of extra age.

As it turned out, I discovered that a bourbon really can be overaged. It was way too woody, almost mossy. I've gone back again every now and then in the hopeful optimism that I might like it better, but I can't finish a glass.

What purchases didn't meet you're expectations?

I was very disappointed with the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve a few years ago. Also with Bulleit. In fact, now that I think about it, the two were very similar - overly sweet and one-dimensional.

Tim

Good thread idea. I'd say my biggest disappointments have not been brands or labels I didn't like. Rather, my biggest disappointment is getting an off bottle or off pour of an old favorite. For instance, I got hold of some awful Knob Creek once that tasted like sour ale and peanut brittle. I have no idea how such a flavor profile wound up in that brand, but it was not drinkable. Similarly, a couple of months ago, I opened up some ER 101 that wasn't worth being put into a bottle. When trying a new brand, I am prepared to not like it. When trying a dusty, even moreso. I just hate it when I open up something I know is good, and I lose at liquor roulette.:cry:

I have not had too many that were real disappointing as for flavor except for Bulliet (very industrial) and Jacobs Well (very flat). I would give Bulliet a second chance but the Jacobs Well gets none. The biggest issue I have is with the proof reduction and price increase on Eagle Rare.

I was disappointed with Baker's. I bought 2 bottles at a great discount ($22 each) and was very excited to try it (based on its recent crowning). Just really didn't care for it. I still have the second bottle unopened. I may save it to open and try again in the future (as maybe my tastes may be more developed), or perhaps I shall give to somebody fairly local who may like it more than me.

Have not been seriously disappointed with any bourbon yet. In fact, the only time I really remember being disappointed was when St. George's American single malt was announced and it took some time for it to show up in this market. Was thrilled when it finally showed up, bought a bottle, brought it home and opened it, took my first drink and almost spit it out. The only whiskey/whisky that I honestly can say I hated the taste.

Tom

Funny timing with this one. My most recent disappointment come from a bottle of WT RR 90 that I just bought yesterday. Somebody posted a picture of their stash that contained a bottle of the old WT RR 101(Wish I had some bunkered). That got me primed to try another bottle. Too bad the one I picked had a bad cork. I like Olive juice with Vodka from time to time but not in my whiskey. At least when I haven't put it there. After a second pour I noticed the cork is soft and looks like piece of bruised fruit. It happens from time to time. Any ways I am majorly disappointed.

Mine would have to be Elijah Craig 18 Single Barrel.

I bought it after trying the sublime Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 YO. I thought 'if this is what really old bourbon is all about - I'm a believer!'

I'm a big fan of Elijah Craig 12 (although my latest bottle isn't up to par) so I figured it would be everything I love about the 12 YO with the benefit of extra age.

As it turned out, I discovered that a bourbon really can be overaged. It was way too woody, almost mossy. I've gone back again every now and then in the hopeful optimism that I might like it better, but I can't finish a glass.

What purchases didn't meet you're expectations?

Funny you should mention EC18. This was my experience exactly. In fact, as I said in the BOTM thread, I gave it away because I disliked it so much.

Oddly, my second most disappointing purchase was PVW 20yr. I thought it was too soft and overaged. At that point I had started the switch from single malt scotches and found I liked the really big, high proof bourbons like Booker's and Stagg. So I wasn't prepared for the subtlety of Pappy. As the bottle was open, however, after a few months I came to like it immensely, although not as much as the 15 yr, which I love. I still think the 20 yr is overaged and would buy the 15 yr in preference even if they were the same price.

No contest. It's Hirsch 16 y/o gold foil.

I won't bore the old-timers by rehashing the story, except for one point.

It was bargain priced from the moment it was released, $39.99, IIRC -- $20 less than I'd paid for the gold wax. I should have known that it was too good to be true.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Mine was a full half gallon of tax stamped Old Forester from back in the day. I bought this on e-bay and the seal was broken. I brought this bottle to Louisville only to find that someone had dumped Old Fashion mix in it. What a bummer. :hot:

Joe :usflag:

I have two disappointments. First was Basil Hayden which was overpriced and not to my liking. The second was Hirsch Gold Foil. I was so primed to enjoy this bourbon that was recommended by many. I've tried it a couple of times hoping it would grow on me....it hasn't and I still don't like it. I did have the opportunity to try the blue wax which was superb. Not sure what happened between blue was and gold foil but something funky went awry.

As a side note, I did open a 375ml bottle of Old Taylor, distilled 1984, bottled 1990. It must have been an off night for me cause I couldn't finish it....way to medicinal mid palate. My brother tried it the next day and said it tasted fine...mild and not overly complex but no off notes were detected.

Mine was a full half gallon of tax stamped Old Forester from back in the day. I bought this on e-bay and the seal was broken. I brought this bottle to Louisville only to find that someone had dumped Old Fashion mix in it. What a bummer. :hot:

That's too bad because the older Old Forester is a mighty fine pour.

A few months back I bought a bottle of JW Dant BiB to try. I think it must be a bad bottle, because it is absolutely vile. I've never tried any other JW Dant than this bottle, too afraid.

A few months back I bought a bottle of JW Dant BiB to try. I think it must be a bad bottle, because it is absolutely vile. I've never tried any other JW Dant than this bottle, too afraid.

Well Gus, when I'm in KY next month, one of the bottles I will be picking up will be the Dant BIB. Let's hope it's a better bottle than you had.

The bottle of 2006 ER17 I opened this weekend was a bit disappointing, it was very light in both taste and color (I had it in the wrapping paper the whole time and had never seen an unwrapped one from '06.); definitely not what I had been expecting. I thought it would be pretty good because I like ER10 and it is part of the BTAC but I like the 10 year much better. I guess no matter how good it is it will always be in the shadow of GTS, WLW, and THH since it is not barrel proof. I also wasn't too crazy about Hirsch 16 Gold Foil, especially for a $75 bottle.

Being a tremendous fan of all things Wild Turkey it disappoints me deeply to report that I have just opened a brand spankin new bottle of Russels Reserve that was awfull. I seriously thought dumping it down the drain.

Cooler heads prevailed, which quite honestly may be a first for me as I am quick to fly off the handle, and I put it back on the shelf. I'm hoping it was just a bad night and not an off bottle.

Chris

The bottle of 2006 ER17 I opened this weekend was a bit disappointing, it was very light in both taste and color; definitely not what I had been expecting.

This is off topic but, I think BT has screwed up big time by dropping Eagle Rare 101 10yo.

It is far superior to both ER17 and ERSB.

I recently purchased a signed WTKS from someone online. The plastic seal was there but the perforation broken. the bottle is from 2003. I have bottles here from 04, 05, 06 and 07; and this bottle is shades lighter than the others. My feeling is it has been comsumed and filled with inferior bourbon, the fill line was much higher than any KS I have seen, up to the bottom of the neck label. I still have a bit of a cold, but the other night I pulled out a KS, RR101, RR90, and a Rare Breed and to me the stuff in this bottles doesn't smell like Turkey. I used a syringe to extract a small amount and it doesn't taste like turkey, certainly not KS anyway. :hot:

As KS isn't available in Australia, I figure they thought someone would buy this bottle and put it on display and not know any better, even if they did open it, how would they know, right?

I will try and take pics to get the color of this bottle to get peoples opinions....until then has anyone ever seen a high fill line on a KS bottle??

Keeping in mind this bottle is the oldest one I have here, I thought if anything the fill line would be a little lower due to evaporation.

Thoughts?

Also, Hirsch 16 was a disappointing purchase for me too......have revisited a couple of times and tried a bottle at a bar....all very metallic. These were both gold foil.

Scott

My feeling is it has been comsumed and filled with inferior bourbon....until then has anyone ever seen a high fill line on a KS bottle??

I worry about the exact same thing every time I buy something from someone online! I've had one I suspected but it was an old bottle so there are good reasons why it might not taste right, I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt. As for the fill on the KS, I've noticed a few that were under filled but never one that was over filled. I'm sure it happens though.

Woodford Reserve, hands down. I was very excited to try this premium looking bourbon. Unfortunately that's the problem. It looks premium, but tastes very plain and ordinary. It wasn't terrible, but has less flavor than any other bourbon I've ever had.

Joel

I recently purchased a signed WTKS from someone online. The plastic seal was there but the perforation broken. the bottle is from 2003. I have bottles here from 04, 05, 06 and 07; and this bottle is shades lighter than the others. My feeling is it has been comsumed and filled with inferior bourbon....

Scott

Guys, those aren't "disappointing purchases", those are flat out rip offs.

Truly despicable behavior! And for what? The price of a bottle of whiskey!

I've had few to no disappointments. However, I bought a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve (no age statement) that I was hoping would be much better than it was.

Too sweet, with little to no depth at all.

Although I paid for it as a gift, I am glad I didn't buy it for myself. Yet, I'm sorry it wasn't so great for my friend either.

Corner Creek. Maybe I got a bad batch but, as I mentioned in another post, this stuff tasted very young and had an aroma of cooked asparagus. This stuff is undrinkable. Here's an idea for a thread: What can you do with a $30 bottle of a disappointing, undrinkable whiskey?

My latest bottle of Rock Hill Farms was a huge disappointment to me. Not disastrous by any means but it lacked the depth and richness of earlier bottles I´ve had.

I noticed that the certificate from Gary Gayheart that was enclosed with my earlier bottles, was absent here. Maybe they don´t give priority to this one any longer? Of course, it could also be a one-off bottling.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.