Your most disappointing purchase?

arsbadmojo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Howdy,

Knob Creek. Didn't do a thing for me. I was stunned to find out that KC is nothing but JBB that's spent 12 more months in the barrel. I like JBB, so why don't I like KC?

Eggman

PS: KC had ...citrus notes that failed to impress.

Howdy,

Knob Creek. Didn't do a thing for me. I was stunned to find out that KC is nothing but JBB that's spent 12 more months in the barrel. I like JBB, so why don't I like KC?

Eggman

PS: KC had ...citrus notes that failed to impress.

It's not quite that simple. Jim beam white, seven year, black, and knob creek are ALL the "same" whiskey- that is, they use the same mashbill and yeast- but something like 50% or more of the final flavor comes from the actual barrel/aging process. Jim Beam mixes various barrels that have a specific flavor profile to get Black, and barrels with a somewhat different profile to get KC.

I'm with you on Jim Beam black- I've just never found any depth in Knob Creek. Pun intended.

I would say Buffalo Trace did absolutely nothing for me!

One recurring item I see in this thread and other threads in the forums, is musty, damp earth aromas and taste. This is purely from "Skunked" Corks and they can ruin an entire run. Some distillers appear to have more problems with it than others, but, I've seen just about every brand knocked for musty smells. The resolution is extremely simple, plastic corks or screw tops. The wineries (some U.S), Australia, New Zealand and South America figured this out and no longer have any problems with skunked wine. There just isn't enough "GOOD" cork to go around.

I know some will look at this as heresy, but, if the distilleries want to deliver a consistent product, they will have to move in this direction.

My latest bottle of Ezra Brooks has a fake cork in it while the one it replaced was sealed with a real one.

Most disappointing for me was gold foil Hirsch, which reminded me somewhat of chewing gum wrapper. I've since had a sip of blue was Hirsch, which was beyond fantastic

Some distillers appear to have more problems with it than others, but, I've seen just about every brand knocked for musty smells. The resolution is extremely simple, plastic corks or screw tops. The wineries (some U.S), Australia, New Zealand and South America figured this out and no longer have any problems with skunked wine. There just isn't enough "GOOD" cork to go around.

I know some will look at this as heresy, but, if the distilleries want to deliver a consistent product, they will have to move in this direction.

I agree 100%!

If these companies want repeat customers and positive reviews of their products, why gamble on the fact that real corks can ruin the whole thing? It may cost a bit more for them to purchse fake corks, but wouldn't it be worth it?

Here's a question, would you still purchase whiskies with fake corks if it caused the price to increase, say $1/bottle? I'm sure thats a very high number all things considered.

Eric

I have tried Elijah Craig only once but it was so bitter I could not drink it. If memory serves the cork appeared to be a strange color maby it was bad.

My latest bottle of Ezra Brooks has a fake cork in it while the one it replaced was sealed with a real one.

I noticed that on my latest bottle, too. I do like cork, but if these were to be the replacements, I wouldn't argue too much. It seemed to look, feel and sound pretty good. What do you think AB? Is it a deal breaker?

I noticed that on my latest bottle, too. I do like cork, but if these were to be the replacements, I wouldn't argue too much. It seemed to look, feel and sound pretty good. What do you think AB? Is it a deal breaker?

The 6 bottles I just got the other day all have fake corks in them. Still taste's pretty darn good though for $13/bottle.

I would definitely be willing to pay a tad more money to ensure getting an untainted bottle of whiskey. And to tell you the truth, I'm not bothered by screw-tops either. Just give me something that works!

I wonder what Etchochem thinks about this. Etch...have you've done any experimentation with the synthetics? Is the cork thang More mental than physical? Just curious and afraid I've commited thread-drift. All apologies.:lol:

I wonder what Etchochem thinks about this. Etch...have you've done any experimentation with the synthetics? Is the cork thang More mental than physical? Just curious and afraid I've commited thread-drift. All apologies.:lol:

A certain percentage of cork actually carries a contaminant that causes product to go bad.

This was talked about in a thread over the last month but I cant recall which one.

Seems like a good reason to move all of the tops to screws or synthetic, but the producers probably get a smaller percentage of returns than all the bad bottles out in the wild so it's not a huge concern from a profit standpoint.

Yeah, I remember the cork taint thread. I was just wondering if there is ever synthetic taint...like chemicals leaching out over time and messin with the bourbon.

I would say Buffalo Trace did absolutely nothing for me!

One recurring item I see in this thread and other threads in the forums, is musty, damp earth aromas and taste. This is purely from "Skunked" Corks and they can ruin an entire run. Some distillers appear to have more problems with it than others, but, I've seen just about every brand knocked for musty smells. The resolution is extremely simple, plastic corks or screw tops. The wineries (some U.S), Australia, New Zealand and South America figured this out and no longer have any problems with skunked wine. There just isn't enough "GOOD" cork to go around.

I agree 100%!

If these companies want repeat customers and positive reviews of their products, why gamble on the fact that real corks can ruin the whole thing? It may cost a bit more for them to purchse fake corks, but wouldn't it be worth it?

Here's a question, would you still purchase whiskies with fake corks if it caused the price to increase, say $1/bottle? I'm sure thats a very high number all things considered.

Eric

I am also on this bandwagon. I tracked down two bottles of Pappy 15, had them shipped, and both are bad. One is REALLY bad and the other is just a little bad. I found a third bottle locally and it is fine and does not have that musty damp taste.

BT has sent a box and packing materials and I understand they will refund the purchase price. I do appreciate them standing behind there product. However, I would much rather have three good bottles.

Cork =:shithappens:

...Seems like a good reason to move all of the tops to screws or synthetic, ...
I think screw top is the best for keeping product in good condition, but market prefers cork because that's just the way it's supposed to be. I feel like I'm drinking whiskey when that cork goes pop when pulling it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the Synthetic Cork or screw top band wagon too. It wouldn't be hard to design a stopper that was pleasing and sealed with synthetic material. Every older bottle ('50s thru 70's) that had a cork was effected by it to some degree. None of the screw tops had any off taste at all.

Mine would be WR sonoma cutter and 4 grain. I was so wanting these to be as great as the price. The cutter cleaned the drain to clear some room in the cabinet after sitting for a few years. tim

• 1 month later...

Yes, Virginia, there is mediocre Stitzel Weller bourbon. In spite of previous lukewarm opinions from some of the more experienced tasters, here and other places, I finally bit the bait and plunked down $33.39 of my hard earned dollars for a BHC Very Special Old Fitzgerald. Well as the label states, it is AGED IN WOOD and that is about all I get out of this and maybe even similar to what I might imagine the rain water that collects in the bottom pit of my smoker might taste like. I'd love to know who/what/how made Weller Centennial so good, and this so bad, in my humble opinion.

Must admit it has been a while since I had one but the one that stands out in the past was BT. Tried a regular and a private bottling....no difference in them in my opinion....both musty,dusty and dank!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.