Barleyed bourbon??

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, that sounds like an interesting experiment we could try. Get some whole hops and dry hop your favorite bourbon. That may be a story for another time however; maybe for the woods ;-)

About distillation, I still have the same question as you Ryan. Clearly some of the desirable compounds that result from the fermentation process evaporate at a temperature less than, or equal to, ethanol. I'd like to get my hands on a book that explains that process in detail.

Maybe next time I take a trip down to Davis, I'll go to the UC bookstore and have a look at some of their fermentation science texts.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

This was written by my great uncle Desmond Beam----Master Distiller---dated September 25, 1958.

Jug Yeast

Grain 100 lbs.

Hops 4 lbs.

Boil Hops 30 minutes

Hot Hop liquor 32 gallons

Mashing temp. 186

Hold 3 hours

Exact liquid cool to 76 gravity 19-20

Innoculate using 8 lbs. of Jug Yeast

Jug a 6 gravity

Will make 25 to 26 gallons or 196 to 200 lbs

On Saturdays set Dona a 76 degrees and leave on coils 18 to 24 hours

I looked into Uncle Everett's (he was a Master Distiller of Rye Whiskey) writings and there is no mention of hops.

Bettye Jo

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by boone on Tue Apr 16 09:09:05 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's too sweet Bettey Jo. A real Beam recipe for jug yeast? YOWZER; YOWZER, YOWZER! laugh.gif

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

this is my choicefor the #1 name not to call said product. but you're on to something. . . . . .hmmm OF 86 already hasa flowery nose and spicy-ish finish i wonder if hopping it woul bring that flavor out more or make it taste like heavily hopped stale beer (my friend had a Sam Adams IPA in his fridge for six months past use by date, and he said it tasted kinda like diluted Jim Beam white to him)

i dunno

TomC

i was wondering where that spiffy purple tinge in my bourbon came from laugh.gif

TomC

Hey Linn,

I asked my Aunt Jo not to show people all the records that our folks had written on how ta make bourbon, corn and rye whiskey. Her reply was, they were not stupid, the actual formula was their heads never ta be told !!!!!!!

You ass should be smacked !!! Ya changed the Subject---laughing my ass off !!!

Bettye Jo

As luck would have it, I do have some fairly fresh EKGs sitting around. I'll throw a cone in a couple hundred mls of OF 86 and report back on it in a couple weeks.

Stotz

I love the fact that stuff like this gets posted here as a matter of course. Thanks, Bettye Jo, it's an invaluable resource.

Four pounds of hops in 32 gallons of solution? That's a lot, at least by beer brewing standards. It'd be curious to know which variety of hop and the reason for the high hopping rate. There's got to be some info available somewhere on this. Looks like it's time to hit the University science libraries to see what I can dig up.

Stotz

Ya know when that bitch of a secretary comes ta work today I'm gonna fire her! She can't type worth a darn !

Bettye Jo Hall Boone

Bettye Jo,

I remember you or your aunt telling me the story of this, that Desmond wrote this out at someone's request. It is exactly like me or my cousins asking my Grandma Schwartz to write down her recipe for hot potato salad or apple kuchen. She tried, she really did, but the recipes weren't in her head, they were in her hands. I remember she would adjust the amount of flour she added based on how humid it felt that day.

My cousin, Betsy, took the time to stand with grandma and make kuchens with her, and let grandma coach her, until it was in Betsy's hands too. Today, she is the only one who can duplicate grandma's kuchens.

I'm sure this was Desmond's best effort to write down the yeast recipe. However, it assumes a lot and raises as many questions as it answers. I don't think he was necessarily being coy. It's a kind of shorthand.

The tragedy, of course, is that as great as a document like this is, it can't take the place of working at a master's side. That is what is being lost as distilleries consolidate and master distillers die without having had true apprentices at their sides.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Chuck,

Hey Sugah, thank you for sayin what I " tried " to say earlier!

The best one (personal notes) that I have is one that belongs to Everett (C.E. Beam) famous for his hand in the pot still for Pennco. Little did he know when he wrote this that it would change his life forever;

Page 6

The laws governing a distillery whether it be one bushel or 10,000 bushels are the same. They require a basic permit. Registration of stills-warehousing permits descriptions of bonded premises-posted bonds to---- go-- (I cannot read what that word is go---something) payments of taxes ($10.50 per proof gallon) whole-sale liquor permits and son and on.

Without these anyone is subject to very stiff penalities--Confiscation of property, imprisonment-fines-etc.

I worte this letter to Michters Inc. the oldest distillery in the U.S.A. established 1753 and still in operation at the same site, recently to the new owners, who are unfamiliar with the industry. They verified all I said and I am in the process of setting up a small operation for them.

It is signed ---C.E. Beam

Bettye Jo Hall Boone

P.S. I tried ta get rid of that secretary today but she just won't leave !!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.