Rittenhouse 23yo

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

HH is doing a 23yo rye as a followup to their earlier 21yo release. It will be released in October. I don't know anything else. A good question would be......."Is there going to be an older one down the road?"

Randy

Randy,

I don't believe HH began distilling rye until the Pikesville acquisition. This would have been in the mid 80's. This 23 yr would only be a tad older than last year's release. They probably just stumbled upon the barrels like last year.

We bottled this tonight. 100 proof, DSP KY 31, Rittenhouse 23...

Same style bottle as the 21 cept this one has a medallion, age statement-23 years, screened on the glass in metalic gold.

HH is doing a 23yo rye as a followup to their earlier 21yo release. It will be released in October. I don't know anything else. A good question would be......."Is there going to be an older one down the road?"

Randy

If only it was barrel proof......

I wonder if it will hit the pocket as hard (or harder) than the 21yo?

Scott

If only it was barrel proof......

I wonder if it will hit the pocket as hard (or harder) than the 21yo?

Scott

Barrel proof means that profits go down. And yes, you know it will cost more than the 21yr.

• 4 weeks later...

The 21-year-old went for $150, the 23-year-old is shooting for $170.

I have some other facts.

It is shipping now, on allocation to major metros. Also to Eaux-De-Vie in the UK and La Maison du Whisky in France.

In addition to the bottle Bettye Jo described. it will come in a box like last year. Almost identical.

It's from the same batch of rye, made in October of 1984. When the 21-year-old was released it was just a little shy of its 22nd birthday. They waited a little longer with these, so they're barely 23.

All of them were aged on the lowest floors of rickhouse OO.

The 21-year-old release was 32 barrels. The 23-year-old is just 25 barrels.

They aren't saying if they have any more from the 1984 batch, but I have been told there is other old rye in the pipeline.

Like the 21-year-old, the 23-year-old will be 50% ABV and not chill-filtered.

Randy

The press release:

http://www.heaven-hill.com/pr-recent.shtml?article=ODMxOXN1cGVyODMxNnNlY3JldDgzMjM%3D

Here's an unanswerable question:

Why was so much rye made in 1984? All of the very old rye that's coming out now seems to have been made in 1984. We know Heaven Hill made some, as did UD. But why 1984? Did they make any in 83 or 82? How about 85 or 86? If so, where is it? Why is it just the 1984 stuff that hung around?

Saz 18 has listed itself over the years as having been distilled in 81, 83, 84(twice), 85(thrice). I'm only missing distillation data on the 2003 bottling(but as it was 84 in 02 and 04... I'll guess...)

I have a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye bottled in 91(love the plain language dating)...if it were 6yo that would make it 85 distillate, too.

Why was so much rye made in 1984? All of the very old rye that's coming out now seems to have been made in 1984. We know Heaven Hill made some, as did UD. But why 1984? Did they make any in 83 or 82? How about 85 or 86? If so, where is it? Why is it just the 1984 stuff that hung around?

I was asking myself this question as many posts came into the latest "Sazerac 2007" thread.

Also, what happened to the KOC rye as it was made then. Did any of the younger aged rye ever hit the shelves?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.