Bloody Mary Vodka

Martian
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am a big fan of the Bloody Mary. Does anyone have a suggestion of an inexpensive vodka suitable for the Bloody Mary?

Well with vodka there is always the "the cheaper and bigger the bottle" thought, but I use Smirnoff 100 proof for everything vodka related.

Agree with the Smirnoff 100 rec. Good stuff.

I also use Tito's, which has an oily component (distilled from corn) that suits a denser drink. Plus, you're supporting a Texan (if you're into that).

Might I recommend steeping a handful of cracked peppercorns in a fifth of vodka for your Bloody Mary? It will take it to another level, heatwise, and in a different way than adding jalapenos or tabasco.

BTW, Martian, I know I've mentioned one tasting effort before, but if you're interested in a holiday tasting with me, Grain Brain, mozilla, and possibly whiskeyhatch sometime soon, let me know via PM or here in this thread.

Monopolowa is a great vodka, cheap and w/ no advertising campaign much better than the price reflects. I"m not a vodka fan, but this is the bottle I keep around.

Everything posted so far is right on the money. IIRC, there are many different vodka flavors(not flavored vodka). Some are very Russian in style and others are soft and easy to drink or highly filtered. Some like the full force vodka(aka Russian) others like the American style(aka soft). How do you like your vodka? Then we can steer you towards that style.

However, I believe that the main theory is to get the best tomato juice. I always used Campbell's, top quality. V8 seems a little too watery to handle the spirits in a Bloody Mary.

I am going to suggest something completely different (and not really what you asked for). Try gin. I prefer a bloody mary made with gin, particularly Tanqueray. If they can make martinis with vodka, we can make bloody maries with gin.

BTW, I saw an interesting comment once on the recent focus on flavored vodkas. It sort of went "if we keep this up we may well invent gin".

Charles

I, too, have always preferred my Bloody Mary's with gin, but I was trying to stay out of this. You gave me an opening.

I use the cheapest crap I can find for Bloody Mary's. Usually a 1.75 I get in Maryland for about 8 bucks. The Bloody Mary's are fine.

Joe :usflag:

• 1 month later...

I apologize for just now replying. My wife and I spent a few days in Ireland and then our computer crashed. I will try some of your recommended vodkas and the Zing Zang. My favorite mixer so far is Red Eye Horseradish. I never thought about gin in my bloody mary, but I will give it a try. Tim, I'm willing to do some tasting with you guys the next time you get together, although my tastes are different from most of the contributors to the site.

Martian,

I don't know when a tasting will happen. But it will. It will.

As for your tastes being different than others on the board, I know Grain Brain and I (and Jeff) have pretty wide-ranging tastes and interests as far as whiskey goes. And anyway, I like differing opinions. A 3-hour love-in for Stitzel-Weller or National Distillers would get pretty dull.

I'll post in the Bourbon Social thread whenever we get a DFW tasting off the ground. Probably now not going to happen during the holidays, barring a sudden opening occurring in everyone's schedule (PMs and lack of posts indicate nobody's free right now).

Horseradish is a spectacular Bloody Mary addition, BTW...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.