Michters - again

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My stash of pot still decanters seem to be holding up well for the most part.

Not sure what makes the difference between good and bad decanters - maybe storage conditions? Biggest problem with them is they are indeed pigs in a poke - can't tell till you crack one open and decant some- but so far I have had good luck with the stock I picked up from a member of their bottle club.

Also have a lot of pictures of the place recently:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spiritsreview/sets/72157604984602396/

short form - needs work, soon or it won't be there much longer I'm afraid.

• 3 months later...

I live about 20 minutes from Schaefferstown so finding Michter's items here is easy, but I'm not about to cough up my sources just yet. I currently have about a gallon of original Michter's- some in decanters, others in glass bottles or in jars. I haven't drank any yet, but I plan on sampling a little bit soon.

I live about 20 minutes from Schaefferstown so finding Michter's items here is easy, but I'm not about to cough up my sources just yet.

Ahh...but we have ways of making you talk. (Insert sinister laugh here.) :lol:

Haha. Well, the long and short of it is my neighbor is an antiques dealer with many connections and either goes and gets stuff for us or gives us a heads up when there is stuff at sales. Wedensday my wife was at an auction and got 4 full Michter's decanters and 2 empty Michter's decanters, along with some Jim Beam decanters- all for about $50. There are also a few local antiques shops around here with extensive Michter's collections for sale.

Haha. Well, the long and short of it is my neighbor is an antiques dealer with many connections and either goes and gets stuff for us or gives us a heads up when there is stuff at sales. Wedensday my wife was at an auction and got 4 full Michter's decanters and 2 empty Michter's decanters, along with some Jim Beam decanters- all for about $50. There are also a few local antiques shops around here with extensive Michter's collections for sale.

That's an awesome set-up. I should mention to those who look down their noses at non-small batch Beam products, I picked up several sealed Beam decanter bottles at an estate sale last summer and the juice was absolutely excellent. They were all bottles from around 1979-1980, all were labelled as either eight or ten years old and 80 proof. (I believe one was 86 proof, as I recall.) Like a dope, I too was reluctant to plunk down much on 80 proof Beam juice at the time and chose only to buy three or four bottles. Had I known earlier what I discovered later that evening when sampling them, I would have bought them all.

The one Beam decanter that came with my box lot of stuff is a 1977 "golden jubilee" decanter. I had posted up wanting to know more info on it, but it doesn't seem that there is a lot out there. It's sealed and full and is a "185 month" bourbon. I would really hate to pop it open, but I'd love to sample some of it. Also, today, my wife and I went around to some more antique shops in search of Michter's stuff. We found 1 decanter, the Packard, but I already have one with the original box. We also found a really cool Michter's display stand. It is all rough-hewn wood and has old barn nails as the display hooks. I put 3 of my pitchers and 2 of my jugs on it. It looks great in the kitchen!

Just stumbled across 9 more Michter's decanters and 19 other decanters for sale locally to me on Craigslist. I'm going to pick them up Thursday evening! Let's just say that the price is too good to pass up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.