Russell's Reserve Rye

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to the cooperation of a fellow member. Thanks James. I'm sipping some of this for the first time.

The nose barely says "turkey" In fact is almost says "Canadian". I get a little of the mint and a little bit of cotton candy and quite a bit of what Gary Gillman referred to as old roses. I take it he means a damascus or perhaps something like an old book smell (the pages not the binding). I get that with Saz. Jr. but with the Saz. its counterbalanced with carmel and a more aggressive rye taste. There is a bit of "older rye" taste there but it fades fast. Something there, perhaps the "damascus" combined with the subdued rye (gassiness more than spice) leaves the impression of, and I know this is strange but, the smell of a freshly opened deck of playing cards.

I am glad to have finely tasted some of this and I don't regret the trade, but I don't think another bottle is in my future.

• 5 weeks later...

This one is from the "go figure" category. The Triple R has not been a favorite of mine in the rye category, because I have found it to be too mild and unchallenging when consumed neat. I like my ryes to hit me in the nose and make my eyes water. However, this weekend, as I found my last bottle of Ale-8-One in the fridge, I decided to mix it with RRR. And, boy, was I surprised. The spiciness, flavor, and even the "richness" of this rye really shone through. I was so impressed, that I poured myself a little bit, to try it again neat. Maybe, this is growing on me, I thought. Well, wrong. Still, it lacks in the flavor department when poured neat, IMO. But at any rate, I have found a nice mixer with Ginger when I have a hankering for that. Actually, more than a "nice" mixer. As if, that's all it's good for. This is more than that. This, in my humble opinion, is a perfect mixer with Ginger for me. I just can't help but wonder, why the flavor is so pronounced when mixed, but doesn't do anything for me when neat. The mysteries of Bourbonia, I guess.

JOE

The Triple R has not been a favorite of mine in the rye category, because I have found it to be too mild and unchallenging when consumed neat.JOE

As my first bottle of "Triple R" slips nearer and nearer the empty mark, I have come to the same conclusion. Weird as it may sound as well as bordering on 'bourbon blasphemy', I began to mix a little RB in with RRR a couple of weeks back. The strong rye flavor that I find in RB seems to have turned the 3R up a notch or two which is more to my liking.

I am not likely to buy a second bottle anytime soon. More likely to go back to the solid bet, WT Rye.

I too won't be buying another bottle. Chalk this one up to another disappointing purchase (I was going to post it on that thread). I am not sure were they went wrong with this rye--I don't think it's the lower proof either. The RRR is a moderately decent whiskey pour, however, it just doesn't hold a candle to the Saz or Ritt.

• 2 months later...
Hmmm, I am a noob, but I am actually enjoying the RR rye.

Buy and drink what you enjoy.

I find RR rye just "OK." After finishing the bottle, I went back to WT rye.

Smokin's notes about RR rye are interesting. I think the bottlings are selected in a way to maximize palate softness and a good but smooth, approachable flavor. However, when the drink is diluted with water or ginger ale, that balance is "upset" and the genuinely assertive notes that are in there come to the fore. Apart from this use for RR rye, I think it is an excellent dram as an after-dinner drink, or a pick-me-up when a rich but not overchallenging drink is wanted.

A recent bottle of the regular WT rye impressed with its full flavors combining fresh grainy notes, maple qualities and some sweet barrel wood.

I do not know a finer straight whiskey for the price (around $20). Each bottle strikes me as a little different. Sometimes they are a little woody for my taste, sometimes I get that "old roses" taste I really like. The current sample mentioned impressed by its full flavor (the grain perfectly balanced against the barrel) and its drinkability at, yes, 100 proof.

Wild Turkey is a primo distiller and I find its products better than ever.

Gary

The image has been associated with Trailers, pick-ups and wife beater t-shirts. At least in E. Tn where I grew up. I am not saying that is what it should be. I have enough 20 something friends to know that that image has not changed much in the last 20 years.

It is funny but the GUYS I know that start moving to whiskey do so in their late 20s to 30s. The frat boys do it in the early to mid 20s but only when they are at football games or duck hunting.....:cool:

The brand image here in Texas was cemented by Ray Wylie Hubbard in his condemnation of Oklahoma rednecks- "Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother", though most of us have only heard the Jerry Jeff Walker version.

He was born in Oklahoma

And his wife's name is Betty Lou Thelma Liz

He's not responsible for what he's doing

His mother made him what he is

CHORUS:

And it's up against the wall, redneck mother

Mother who has raised her son so well

He's 34 and drinkin' in some honky tonk

Kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell.

Sure does like his Falstaff Beer

He likes to chase it down with that Wild Turkey Liquor

He's got a '57 GMC pickup truck

Got a gun rack

"A Goat Roper needs love too" sticker

(CHORUS)

M is for the mud flaps she gave me for my pickup truck

O is for the oil I put on my hair

T is for T-Bird

H is for Haggard

E is for Eggs

R is for Redneck

(Chorus)

Well, I've finished most of the bottle of RRR that I bought a couple of months ago, and I have to say, color me underwhelmed. Perfectly fine whiskey, but not what I was hoping for.

WT Rye, as Gary says, has been far more satisfying lately. I think it went through a rough patch a few years ago. Probably demand outstripping supply. But my most recent bottle (I have made sure to keep one always on hand the last ten years) has been especially nice. Full of flavor and complexity, and nicely balanced. And way too drinkable!

And, slightly off the specific topic, the two year old bottle of Sazarac 6-y-o that I couldn't finish because of the off-flavor of musty, damp basement suddenly cleared up and has been wonderful. Has it changed, or have I?

Now I will have to buy a bottle of BT and try it. I used to love it, but a few years ago, it, too, suddenly seemed to have that dank smell and taste.

OK, maybe just one more short WT rye before I turn in, if you insist.

Jeff

Even Handy seems much better to me now than when first released. I believe these current bottlings (Saz, Handy, maybe WT rye too) have simply gotten more age than a few years ago.

Gary

I have found very few American whiskeys I dislike but also find all whiskeys have a time and place. The RRR I find to be a very good pour when the palate calls for a very soft, approachable whiskey that does not require a good deal of thought. It has very nice balance, decent complexity and a sweet back end. It is a whiskey for a warm summer day and does well with a good read and a cigar. I suspect the RRR will find a good following..

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle of this today, so tonight it will go head-to-head with Baby Saz.

After baking my brains for 10 hours in the sun doing landscaping, I was too tired to pull off a tasting. I tried the RRR straight up and with some ice and I really liked the pour. Definitely a good addition to the cabinet.

I tried the RRR straight up and with some ice and I really liked the pour. Definitely a good addition to the cabinet.

I agree...it has a place on the shelf. I find it to be more reminiscent of high quality Canadian whiskey than Kentucky styled whiskey. It reminds me of an older bottle of 10YO Wiser's Deluxe that ACDetroit gave me (because the whiskey was born the same year I was).

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't tried any WT rye products and in the last month tried both 101 Rye and Russel Reserve. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at both.

The 101 was very approachable and a bit on the sweet side, if I recall correctly.

The RR is a real stand-out rye with nice though not overpowering rye flavor. I've been drinking it the past few nights and really enjoying it. I must say, among those in its price range, I prefer it to Rittenhouse and would rank it near Baby Saz, though I didn't do side by side tastings.

Good stuff, both.

I agree...it has a place on the shelf. I find it to be more reminiscent of high quality Canadian whiskey than Kentucky styled whiskey. It reminds me of an older bottle of 10YO Wiser's Deluxe that ACDetroit gave me (because the whiskey was born the same year I was).

Hey Doc! can I get a second opinion today?? :lol:

Just Joking. I did try these side by side last night and found I enjoy the 101 RYE a little better. The RRR was a bit to subtle for this kid (I guess I like my Rye to kick me in the teeth :cool: notice the smiley has no teeth).

I think a side by side with the Wiser's Deluxe and the Russell's Reserve Rye could be in order! If you have not killed the Wiser's is not empty.

AC (in the "D")

I think a side by side with the Wiser's Deluxe and the Russell's Reserve Rye could be in order! If you have not killed the Wiser's is not empty.

We may have to do that side-by-side soon. Maybe I'll fill up some bottles and ship 'em out.

In the meantime, our most recent tasting of Turkey Ryes (A Tale of Three Turkeys) is online! Stop by and drop us some feedback!

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9861

RRR90 didn't fare as well as I had hoped! That's the problem with blind tasting, I suppose.

RRR90 didn't fare as well as I had hoped! That's the problem with blind tasting, I suppose.

But it's the only way to compare whiskies.

Joe :usflag:

• 2 weeks later...

My local liquor emporium has 3 bottles on the shelf, at $55 a piece. A couple of weeks ago as I was looking at these with extreme dismay, a 21 year old finely trained employee came up to me with a "kin I hep ya?". I told her that I believed the product was mismarked, that the folks at Wild Turkey intended this product to be sold for between $25 and $30. At first she looked at me as if I had lobsters coming out of my ears, then she got her act together and said "I'll bring that to my managers attention" and turned hightail. They are still $55 and I still have not had an opportunity to taste this product.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my liquor store finally got their act together and repriced RR Rye at $27. The first bottle I bought went down fast and smooth, I still have the second unopened. If my state had Saz Jr. it would be my favorite daily rye, but alas, it is nowhere to be found. Of the obtainable ryes this RR rye is right up there with standard WT rye, I can drink this whiskey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.