advice needed

DeWanzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I view this site every couple of days and really enjoy it. Most of the people in here seem to be industry related and extremely knowledgable about Bourbon. I'm just a country boy from a small town in Okla. and can't tell a vanilla flavor from a smokey, dusky flavor etc. But I do know I like Bourbon, my father is a Bourbon drinker, as were my grandparents on both sides. Having grown up in a family that believed that it was only civilized to have 'cocktail hour' in the hour before dinner I have carried on this tradition. My problem is, when guests are over many of them request crown royal and I reply that I would be glad to pour them a Bourbon, scotch, or any number of vodka drinks but I do not keep crown, canadian mist or other canadian drinks in my house.

Then when I go visiting they insist I have a crown royal with them and act hurt when I tell them to pour me whatever Bourbon they have on hand, even an Old Crow or other inexpensive Bourbon. How do I reply to these people, they try to act like liquor snobs and always point out the price of their liquor.

sorry to ramble on,

signed.

DeWanzo

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

DeWanzo I'm a firm believer in reality therapy. Just tell them the truth. Canadian whiskeys for the most part are all cheap young blends. They lack character. Crown Royal is cheap whiskey in an expensive bottle with a lot of marketing hype behind it. The best thing about it is that it is not sc**ch.

Whenever someone asks for RC I just tell 'em "You don't want that cheap tasteless crap. Here let me pour you a good drink." Give them a nice glass of 12 year old Old Charter 'Classic 90'. Easy drinking and flavorful in a restrained/'civilized' way. Tell them how much more expensive it is to make good bourbon and of the care and expertise that goes into every bottle. Finally just state flat out that bourbon is the very best whiskey ever made by mankind.

For true 'one upmanship' break out some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit or Rock Hill Farms. Inform them of how much more expensive your bourbon is than their cheapo bottom shelf blend - and that's all that RC is. At least you're getting your money's worth. They're just getting ripped off.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

DeWanzo, use psychology on your Crown loving guests. Mess with their heads a little bit...

First, ask them to sample better, more flavorful Canadians than Crown. Tell them about the Bush Pilot Special Reserve 13y, or the ryed Lot No. 40, or the smooth Gooderham & Worts. They'll be impressed by your knowledge of Canada's best and you may find that not all Canadians are insipid blends, some are quite pleasant.

Once they respect your knowledge of Canadians, switch them over to mild flavored, not too complex 80-90 proof bourbons (I. W. Harper 15, Makers Mark, Old Forester, Elijah Craig, etc.) Next, give them something with more character (Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek) and introduce them to single barrels (Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, EWSB, Kentucky Spirit).

If they want high prices, challenge them to taste the top of the line Hirsch, Van Winkle or Distilers Masterpiece products.

Hope this helps. If not, just get new friends.

Omar

I'm not in to proselytizing all that much , if Crown Royal is thier poison then give it to them. Or like Omar said go with the better stuff. I keep a bottle of the cheap stuff around for the uninitiated. I simply ask them how they take thier Bourbon and if they want coke or ginger ale , then they will enjoy thier Jim Beam 4yo or old crow or Ten High with it. I'm all for freedom and all that. If someone wants to drink Woodford and coke or even Pappy 23 ,go for it , please pardon me for not letting someone do it at my expense. I found out early on that not everyone is into it on the level of most of the forum members . Not meaning to sound snobby at all , just a little preaching to the choir , if you please . Some folks can't distinguish one brand from another , some people don't even know the difference from straight bourbon or a blend. Then to take it to another extreme there are people you mention Bourbon to whose take is, " We got so drunk on WT or Beam or whatever we couldn't put our feet on the ground" . I'd like to show them a better way but as in old days as now you can lead a horse to water.........or bourbon for that matter.

I have champane flutes to drink from and believe me there's nothing as disconcerting as seeing someone kill it off wih out nosing it and savouring the stuff .

I remember a long time ago running into people at parties who say "I only drink------" as if that put them in the know , the main thing now is not to paint yourself in a corner , there are many great bourbons out there , Some are pricey some are terrific values. If you have a favorite that's fine last year mine was Wathens, but I also like Elijah Craig and Knob Creek. I drank a bottle of 10 yo Rip VanWinkle 107 which would be very hard to beat. Baker's is 107 And it's very fine as well. I don't always have 25 or 35 dollars for a jug that's when Wild turkey 101 for 14.99 at rite aid comes in.

Bobby Cox

Hey Man!

a coupla things:

1) I am hardly an insider on anything. I am a 22 year old from MA, who moved to the Midwest & believes in buying local products wink.gif

2) i was always brought up to believe that when you are at someone elses house you take what you are offered or abstain. NOW ON THE OTHER HAND, when you are hosting my suggestion for upstaging the Crown Royal and its FANCY-SCHMANCY packaging is Blanton's Single Barrell. It looks expensive, it IS a little pricey (about $35 here locally), and while it is complex & flavorful, it is not as overwhelming as some of the others I have tried.

Good Luck!!

Tom C

post-89-14489811042547_thumb.jpg

I took a look at your attachment. If that old fashioned glass is full of Blanton's, it is one hell of an expensive drink. I ration my Blanton's out quite a bit more stingily!.

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tim that glass of Blanton's on the rocks looks just fine to me. What I like best is that the label forms a convienient band about the belly of the bottle and lets you know when to stop on Saturday night so you'll have a simular amount for Sunay sippin'. I'd like to thank the good folks at Buffalo Trace for such thoughtfulness, as I find it far too easy to simply drink the whole damn bottle at one sitting. It's just that damn GOOD!

* * * * * - - - - -> smile.gifI LUV IT! smile.gif <- - - - - * * * * *

Linn Spencer

I'll bet you do. I love mine, too, but its just too expensive for me to knock back like that.

Sometimes, I'll have a good sized drink of, say, Elijah Craig, and then finish off my evening with an ounce or less of Blanton's, straight. It lasts longer that way.

I'll blame myself. I'm just too stingy!

Tim

its so hard though. I have no reason to be spending that much on a drink but it tastes SOOOOOO good!! I wind up adding just a smidge more in my Blanton's glass, then a smidge more. . . . . . .Like Linn says, good thing for the line

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tim try it the other way around start with a glass of Blanton's and really enjoy it then switch off to something more affordable. It stretches your best stock and makes your everyday pour more enjoyable also!

Linn Spencer

Indeed! I love the stuff ,I had aspired to getting a case of it together, sort of a very liquid 401k if you will. I have to live within my means. Right now there are so many that one should try and squirrell away . Wathens is another one , they are in a similiar situation as Julian , the stuff was distilled years ago by Charles Medley , he has some for the present product but will have to find someone to make more. I guess it's not unreasonable to imagine that it may become something else entirely. I hope not , but I do want to have a little on hand in the event they miss the profile.

Bobby Cox

Since we are talking about canadian whiskey, what is the deal with hirsch 12 year old canadian whiskey? Is it related to Hirsch 16/20 year old bourbon in some way?

• 2 weeks later...

It is bottled by the same people (Hirsch), who seem to have a knack a finding quality whisk(e)y with a unique pedigree and bringing it to market. The bourbon was produced in Pennsylvania at Michtner's in Pot Stills. I'm not sure where the Canadian was produced, but I doubt it is related.

Being a small batch bourbon drinker (Knob Creek, Bakers, Bookers - with Bakers and Bookers being my favorite), I received a bottle of Distiller's Masterpiece as a gift. My in-laws are big Crown Royal drinkers and they don't care for my taste in Bourbon - however, when I cracked the Distiller's Masterpiece recently during a celebration they tried it and said it tasted better than Crown Royal. Ironically - at the price involved it probably should - but all that did was give them a big head about their Crown tasting as good as an expensive bottle of Bourbon. Oh well.

I'll stick with the Bookers and Bakers - the Distiller's Masterpiece was too sweet for me.

-Bob

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Pardon my big fat bourbonic bass playing butt - but is your name 'pnessutt' pronounced Penis Suit?

Are you a condom sir?????????????????

Linn Spencer

OH Shit!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

I'm dying here, your gonna kill me today!!

LOL!

TomC

all i know is that at the well over $100 price range it better be damn good stuff, especially with the luxury here in OH of gettin' sublime Blanton's @ $34.50 a pop. i just dont see how it could be worth 4 times that, right?

oh well, too each there own,

Tom (Bourbon Kicks Crown Royal's Ass) C

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.