BOTM,11/07:Basil Haydens

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife bought me a bottle of BH a couple of years ago for Christmas. I don't really recall anything outstanding about it. I do know that I haven't bought any since so I must not have been impressed although I tend to like the higher proof, stronger flavors.

Same here (re: wife buying for Christmas -- I was able to exchange the unopened bottle for an Elijah Craig 18yo, I think.)

I have little quarrel with the bourbon in the bottle as a more refined, less rambunctious version of OGD. I like that high-rye flavor (Chuck's "vegetal").

It's all about the value: far too pricey for what it is. Bar drink only for me, and even then I'll call for Bakers or WR instead at the same price.

so is that a fundamental characteristic of Rye? that vegetal sense i get in regular OGD BIB?

not knowing my grains quite (i just know what i like), is this what i should expect, should i go for the WTurkey RYE? a refined 'vegetal' sense?

i am starting to understand it, but i have to really struggle to 'understand' the OGD when i sip it....

to be honest, i thought that 'odd' taste and smell of OGD BIB was the corn...like i said, i am still getting my footnote-bearings with regards to identifying grain flavor profiles.....:rolleyes:

No, rye shows itself in different ways. The vegetal taste of OGD and most Beam products seems only one manifestation of the rye taste. Sometimes it is a grassy smell and taste, sometimes spicy or earthy. The Beam signature may be explained in fact by other factors, such as its yeast.

Gary

What Gary said.

Wild Turkey rye, for example, has an earthy taste, but it's not the same as the earthy/musty taste that is a Buffalo Trace signature characteristic. It's more like earth, as in dirt, and if that sound prejorative, well, I'm less fond of WTR than I am of RRR, where that quality is still there, but more in the background.

The OGD taste, which I might also describe as foxy, is something I get from Jim Beam white too, but not from Old Overholt Rye or Jim Beam Rye.

With Rittenhouse, it's more spice and heat, but not that vegetal or raw grain taste.

With Bulleit, which contains slightly more rye than OGD, it's more spice and flowers. Lilacs, I think.

Chuck, I must be learning something. I agree with everything you say about the WT and BT signature characteristic. OO and JB Rye seem to me to be two totally different animals from other Beam products. I haven't tried Rittenhouse Rye yet, as I haven't found the BIB or 80 proof in Dallas.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!