ORVW 10YO Ky Straight Rye Whiskey?

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just received the current issue of Wine Enthusiast. They have an article on rye whiskey....doesn't everybody.....by F. Paul Pacult. He rates many ryes, including the subject rye. Has Julain introduced a new rye without telling us about it? Or is it just a misprint? It's rated as "Superb" ..... 90 - 95 points.

Highest Rated were BMH 18yo rye, Michter's 10yo and Rittenhouse 21yo.

Randy

Haven't seen the new rye, Randy. I agree re BMH 18 and Michter's 10 - saw the latter recently served on optic in Louisville bars!

Gary

I wouldn't be surprised if the BMH 18 and the Michter's 10 (and Saz 18, for that matter) are essentially the same whiskey. The provenance of the Rittenhouse 21, of course, we know.

If Julian has snuck one past us -- well, he has some 'splainin' to do, since I have bottles (as do many of you) that he'll want to taste from!:lol:

Must be a missprint!!

Julian

Say it were so, Julian!

With the master picking from the fine stock in those BT rye barrels that produce Handy and Saz Jr., we could easily have another classic on our hands.

Roger "how many years till the new stock of VW Rye 13 year?" Hodges

I wouldn't be surprised if the BMH 18 and the Michter's 10 (and Saz 18, for that matter) are essentially the same whiskey.

I agree. I had a pour of Michters '10yo' rye last month at a tasting. It is most definitely at least 18 years old and reminds me a lot of Saz or BMH of that age.

I generally avoid Michters because of the inconsistancy. It is sometimes not so good and sometimes quite excellent.

Cheers,

There was a sorely-missed 12 yr old, but I didn't know about the 10.

-Mike

Was it in the Old Rip packaging or more in wine bottles like the Family Reserve? Maybe I'm thinking of the 12-year-old.

It was in the squat barrel bottles, and I think it was called "Old Time Rye". It may have been 10 yrs old at one time, but when I had it, it was 12.

-Mike

I'm not sure what Paul Pacult was thinking when he mentioned a 10-year rye.

Other than the 13-year rye out now, we only had a ORVW-Old Time rye that was in the squat bottle and 12-year, 90 Proof.

Julian

And when I heard the Old Time 12 yr was being discontinued We went to New Orleans for the weekend and while there bought every bottle we could find. A grand total of three.

Regards,

Squire

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.