Index of Sam Cecil?

Rughi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone ever put together an index of Cecil's book that they could share? It is inefficient to have to either know what county a distillery or DSP number lies in, or else leaf page by page through the book.

The lack of an index makes using it more like it were a coffee table book aimed for locals to reminisce with or travelers to follow county by county (look Maia, there's an old distillery off yonder to the right! Pull out Cecil and start thumbing through the Harrison County section...), even though it is the definitive research book of it's subject matter.

If noone has undertaken this, I will make one for my use and be happy to share it. I would probably use excel, but by rights it would best be built in a database that could sort by any of several categories (DSP number, County(!), City, Name, Owners).

Roger

Roger,

I do believe the second edition does include an index. I would be happy to copy the index and send it to you, but it may not be accurate for the first edition. You could also invest in a second edition copy for your library.

Mike Veach

I have been considering working on this for a while now. There are some issues I've been trying to figure out a way around.

Several distilleries have had multiple DSPs and owners and cross referencing those in an Excel format will be tough. I need to get my Excel book out, it's been a while since I did any serious work in that program.

Also, I have the first edition and I'm not sure if there are page number discrepancies between that and the later editions. I do know that there are some times that the existing index is just plain wrong.

Thanks Mike and Timothy,

I have the 2nd edition, but I don't believe there's a DSP index, which is often the information one needs.

Roger, If you are simply looking for DSP numbers, contact Special Collections at the University of Kentucky and have them copy the index from the Sanborn Whiskey Books for whatever years you wish and that will serve your needs.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.