Rittenhouse Rye Thoughts/Questions

fussychicken
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So last night I opened up my first bottle of the BIB and have been highly impressed. This led to me digging for some more info, and what I can gather is:

• The BIB and the 80 proof was made at DSP31 up to the fire
  • After the fire the BIB was (is?) made at DSP354 aka Brown-Forman aka Shively
  • The BIB is a 6 year
  • The 80 proof is a 4 year

This unfortunately leads to some unanswered questions if anyone knows:

• I'm guessing the 80 proof is made at DSP354 as well? What about the Pikesville, the same?
  • Why does HH make this rye at DSP354? Why not at their home distillery? Chuck mentions here that they are at capacity at Bernheim, and that may be true. But come on, they can't be making that much rye. Why not do at home? Maybe they have already switched? I just picked up a bottle that has bottom date of 07, so it looks like they were making it at DSP354 at least up to 2001.
  • Has anyone compared the true DSP31 BIB to the DSP354 BIB? (The reason I say true DSP31 is because it some of the early DSP354 actually had a DSP31 label.) If so, let us know what you think!

I don't know about all that but I do know I really like Rittenhouse Rye. I haven't really noticed a switch from 354 to 351.

The Rittenhouse BIB is the greatest whiskey bargain in my store. It is absolutely indispensible. Ideal for Sazeracs and Manhattans, and just plain lovely by itself.

Every bar should keep at least 1 bottle around at all times.

All of the Rittenhouse and every other Heaven Hill rye comes from one day of production annually. Let's see if we can get them up to two!!!

The Rittenhouse rye, 80 proof and BIB, has disappeared from the shelves of two Liquor Barns in Louisville. I haven't checked the third, but I assume it's the same. There's no empty shelf spot for them.

I checked the rye shelf, the Heaven Hill shelves, and the BIB shelves. Nothing.

I don't know if it's hard to get, or if they've decided not to carry it, or what.

Here's another question. How in the world is this whiskey so dark considering it is only a 6 year?!?!

For some reason, Liquor Barn doesn't seem to carry Rittenhouse, but it is available in Kentucky. I know Party Source, up by Cincinnati, has it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found Rittenhouse BIB 100 in Binny's for $11.99...what a steal! I bought one for a Christmas present and another for me.

The 80 (86?) proof was $9.99.

I picked up a bottle on Saturday for $14.99 in Athens, GA. Thats $2-3 more a bottle than I paid last year. Still worth it in my opinion.

Squire

This is probably an ignorant Q and has most likely been discussed in the past, but why is Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100: 1. So plentiful? 2. So good?

Is it the "$2 buck Chuck" of Rye?

... but why is Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100: 1. So plentiful? ...?

Because you live in Chicagoland.

It's only spottily available nationally. For years, Utah was the closest state to me in which I could get Rittenhouse. I used to carry a bottle or two home with me on business trips to SLC.

My friend Ed Ledger had to work harder to get Rittenhouse in California (he was the first that I know of - and Bevmo quickly tried to get it soon after he did it) than he did to launch the first of the Willett Ryes that are now so ubiquitous in sb.com discussions of great whiskey (of course, Doug was doing the heavy lifting on the Willett).

And Fred Franzia should be so lucky to have his $2 Chuck equal the quality of Rittenhouse BIB.

Roger

I picked up a bottle on Saturday for $14.99 in Athens, GA.

Squire

Uh Oh. Somebody's found my source. Good thing I grabbed a bottle this afternoon.

If you're a routine visitor to Athens let me know next time you're in town. I'll buy you a drink.

Regards.

I found Rittenhouse BIB 100 in Binny's for $11.99...what a steal! I bought one for a Christmas present and another for me.

The 80 (86?) proof was $9.99.

I think I seen this at my local store. Now I have to go and check. They actually had about 7 rye's. 4 were bottom shelf and I think that was one.

It's too bad that this has such spotty distribution. I've only had 1 bottle and enjoyed it greatly. I've only seen it in one local store and actually the price was kind of high. It was either $19.99 or $21.99. I can't recall exactly how much without checking. I keep good track of these things.

It's still good at these prices, but in my opinion, not worth the extra 5 bucks over Wild Turkey Rye.

Chris

It is fantastic stuff....let us all bury this thread so it does not become too popular....and expensive!

So do you drink it? Neat, add water, add ice, in a Manhattan? I'm having trouble discerning flavors with all that ethanol.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last couple of months, I have only come across 1 or 2 bottles of the BIB. Is it in short supply these days as well? Or, is it something HH bottles/releases only at a certain time each year? As popular as it has been, I cannot believe it is not going to be available in West Tenn in present or future.

$9.99! Really? Not that the $11.99 I pay in Chicago is any great burden, I just wouldn't think there'd be that much play in the price. Your place must have gotten a sweet deal.

And it's right next to 80 proof Jim Beam Rye at $15.99. All hail Heaven Hill.

They had plenty at Binny's the other day. In fact, they had plenty of both the BIB and the 80 proof. But Binny's looked funny that day. Every shelf position seemed like it was either full or empty. January is traditionally inventory season.

Ryes still seem to be more talked-about than purchased and consumed, which probably makes it hard for retailers to hit the right stocking levels.

We still bottle Rittenhouse quite regular (as usual) but it does not hold a candle to the number of bourbon's that we bottle. That's the way it's always been. Seems that more people are requesting/buying the rye. Makes it scarce at times.

In the last couple of months, I have only come across 1 or 2 bottles of the BIB. Is it in short supply these days as well? Or, is it something HH bottles/releases only at a certain time each year? As popular as it has been, I cannot believe it is not going to be available in West Tenn in present or future.

$9.99! Really? Not that the $11.99 I pay in Chicago is any great burden, I just wouldn't think there'd be that much play in the price. Your place must have gotten a sweet deal.

Maybe I should bunker a few. I was lookin for ORVW 107 but they only had the 90 and 12yo lot B. I didn't feel like driving to Sams or Binny's so I bought the 90 hoping to find a gem. I drank it neat. It's good but I was hoping for more. I think it needs more evaluation today while I'm watching the games. :slappin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.