Rittenhouse Rye Thoughts/Questions

fussychicken
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw one bottle today for $17.99.....the highest I have seen it around these parts. First saw it last year for $14.99. Now that there is little to be had (at least around here), naturally the price has risen. Wonder if that bodes ill in terms of price for the new/next ones I see (hopefully) in the near future(?).

I haven't seen much of it lately up in these parts either. It was priced at $21.99. That may be a little steep if you ask me.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Uh Oh. Somebody's found my source. Good thing I grabbed a bottle this afternoon.

If you're a routine visitor to Athens let me know next time you're in town. I'll buy you a drink.

Regards.

Let me guess: that liquor store across the street from Brumby Hall, yes?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my First Bottle of Rittenhouse Rye since the old days at Kinsey Distillery / Continental Distilling and Can hardly wait to try it got the 80 proof for now can't get it In Pa but was able after someone told to get it from Binnys. I noted with great Pleasure that they are using The name Continental Distilling on the Bottle what a tribute a great thing to Use the Original Distiller Maker of the Formual of this rye's name on the Bottle, Simon Neuman Publickers long time Chairman would be proud! It was always very Special and one of the very First Whiskeys I tasted working there! I also see the DSP #354 on the back and will check it out soon had to have it shipped to work so someone could sign for it! It will be awesome but not having the old stuff I can't compare but since all the things I have read I'm sure HH is making it to the Continental Spec's

Dave Z

• 8 months later...

Personally, I find the Rittenhouse suitable-especially when you are on a budget. Although, I find it does not compare to even a decent bourbon.

i am really preferring the rye and rye-heavy bourbons as i expand my tasting exploits....

with regards to total ryes, i've only had the OOverholt and the WTurkey...

goes w/o saying the WT was superior, but would the Rittenhouse be a step up or a good transitional rye to try as i work my way up to the higher end Sazeracs?

I would say that Rittenhouse is the most bourbon-like rye, so it tastes more like a high-rye bourbon such as Bulleit or Old Grand-Dad than it does like Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Wild Turkey Rye, or even Baby Saz. Which is best is whichever one you like the best, but I would consider Rittenhouse and, say, Jim Beam Rye so different that there are times when I might want one or the other, but neither one is really better. They are too different for you to say, "this is a better execution of this style of whiskey."

• 4 weeks later...
I would say that Rittenhouse is the most bourbon-like rye, so it tastes more like a high-rye bourbon such as Bulleit or Old Grand-Dad than it does like Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Wild Turkey Rye, or even Baby Saz. Which is best is whichever one you like the best, but I would consider Rittenhouse and, say, Jim Beam Rye so different that there are times when I might want one or the other, but neither one is really better. They are too different for you to say, "this is a better execution of this style of whiskey."

I was just about to comment on this myself. So I will. :skep:

I would agree that it is a very bourbonesque rye. In fact, I could barely find the rye in it at all. I have gotten more rye flavor out of MM. Maybe I should just drink it at bottle proof, but even with barely enough water to take it down to 95 proof (this is the BiB I'm referring to) it just tasted kind of blah. The OO at 80 proof seemed to have more flavor.

Are my tastebuds completely screwy or have I been spoiled by flavorful bourbons, or has anybody else had this experience?:searching:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.