First foray into cigars

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm pretty excited....I just purchased my first humidor and a sampler composed of:

1 Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso

1 Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto

1 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller

1 Ashton Aged Maduro #40

1 Ashton Cabinet Selection #3

1 Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Belicoso

I had several Fuente Double Chateau 's (both natural and maduro) not too long ago and I really enjoyed them so I thought I'd try some more Funete's.

Looking forward to learning and trying more cigars....

Greg

I've been into cigars for about two years now. I seem to lean towards the Fuente's myself. I just scored some Anejo's and can't wait to try them. I think the best bang for the buck is the 8-5-8 Flor Fina. I prefer the Maduro but any version is pretty tasty. They usually sell for about $4 so you can't go wrong. If you want to treat yourself Don Carlos is a great if you can get them which I see you can. I think Opus X are a bit over rated but I do buy them when I can, what can I say I'm weak.

+1 on the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller. That and the Short Story cigars are two of my favorites. I can't recall that I have ever smoked a Fuente and didn't enjoy it. Some more than others but all were good. Not every brand can say that. The Ashtons are good too just slightly milder IMHO. This time of year I usually don't smoke because there's no yardwork or much grilling out, but maybe a ceramic heater in the garage with the door cracked. Hmmmm.....maybe Sunday night???

I've been into cigars for about two years now. I seem to lean towards the Fuente's myself. I just scored some Anejo's and can't wait to try them. I think the best bang for the buck is the 8-5-8 Flor Fina. I prefer the Maduro but any version is pretty tasty. They usually sell for about $4 so you can't go wrong. If you want to treat yourself Don Carlos is a great if you can get them which I see you can. I think Opus X are a bit over rated but I do buy them when I can, what can I say I'm weak.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Fuentes. I'm still trying to learn all the differences between the lines and what i like. I also prefer Maduro as well.

Greg

+1 on the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller. That and the Short Story cigars are two of my favorites. I can't recall that I have ever smoked a Fuente and didn't enjoy it. Some more than others but all were good. Not every brand can say that.

Seems like the online stores i checked are out of a lot of the Funetes so i think a lot of people agree with you. Glad to know I like a quality cigar. Thanks for the rec. sounds like anything Fuente is a winner. Greg

I have been smoking cigars for 3-4 years myself. I am more of a "smoke while I drink scotch/bourbon/cognac type of person" and primarily single malts. Anyway, I typically smoke infused cigars. I know I know, that doesnt even count right? This past summer I was introduced to a Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey double corona! WOAH! WOW! Now thats a smoke! Creamy, long smoke, great burn, SO smooth its unreal. My brother who is a big cigar buff said I went from "a VW bug" to "a rolls royce". So far everything pales in comaprison to the Hoyo.

I'm pretty excited....I just purchased my first humidor and a sampler composed of:

1 Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso

1 Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto

1 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller

1 Ashton Aged Maduro #40

1 Ashton Cabinet Selection #3

1 Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Belicoso

I had several Fuente Double Chateau 's (both natural and maduro) not too long ago and I really enjoyed them so I thought I'd try some more Funete's.

Looking forward to learning and trying more cigars....

Greg

Welcome to the un-PC world of cigars! You list some mighty fine smokes...Can't say that I've ever had a bad Fuente.

Make sure you check out JR Cigars. Cheaper than anyone else, great selection and quick shipping. Don't be afraid to try the JR alternatives and the JR Ultimate cigars. Excellent for the money.

Another great brand to try is CAO. They have everything from mild mellow smokes to fuller bodied heavies. The CAO Gold double corona are fantastic.

Chris

Make sure you check out JR Cigars. Cheaper than anyone else, great selection and quick shipping. Don't be afraid to try the JR alternatives and the JR Ultimate cigars. Excellent for the money.

Another great brand to try is CAO. They have everything from mild mellow smokes to fuller bodied heavies. The CAO Gold double corona are fantastic.

Chris

I second the JR Cigars recommendation. The JR Ultimate line is top-notch stuff...Wide range of sizes and wrappers. They are quality cigars at good prices (relatively inexpensive). I've smoked the usual top line cigars (Monte Cristo, La Gloria Cubana, Arturo Fuente, etc.). My experience (20 years) is that the JR Ultimate line is of better quality than those brands.

JR's is a great place. Be sure to look into Carlos Torano and CAO as well. Excellent cigars. If you like the maduro, be sure to check out the Torano Signature selection.

This is one of the best places online to order from too.

http://www.holts.com/home.html

The Fuente family makes some fantastic smokes. I had an Opus Mini Belicoso early today with a little Bookers. Fantastic pairing imo.

Take a look for some Pepin and Tatuaje cigars also Padron makes some really nice smokes too. The list is so long lol!

I've been smoking stogies for about 2 years now, and I have a rather massive collection...

Cigarsinternational.com has been my cigar company of choice. I've ordered from JR Cigars before and had no problems, but CI has treated me exceptionally well. Their customer service is unbeatable.

A couple of cigars from CI that I'd recommend are...

*Puros Indios Special-Aged Pyramids -- They are about $20 for 6 cigars, and they are SUPER tasty.

*5 Vegas Gold and Classic -- The Golds are UNBELIEVABLY smooth, rich, and velvety. The Classic has the perfect amount of flavor and spice...Great cigars. These are about $60 a box.

*Super Premium Seconds -- Made by the same people that make Hoyo de Monterray, these things are surprisingly and amazingly good for the price. I have smoked several bundles of these and have yet to have a bad one. They match up with a cup of rich coffee perfectly. They are about $30 a bundle.

Also, watch CI for their specials. You can get some rocking deals on great cigars, and it's a great way to try some new stuff. If you're going to buy boxes of cigars, you'll want to have a way to keep them humidified though. Go to WalMart or something and get a digital thermometer/humidity reader gizmo. They're only about $6 or so. Then, take a tupperware container and drill a bunch of holes in it. Put a piece of florist foam in it, soak it with "CI Cigar Juice" or a mixture of 50% water/50% glycol polypropelene, and put it in a brand new ice chest. Then, stick your stogies in it and monitor it to keep it at 70 degrees/70% humidity.

Welcome to the leaf, my friend!

Fuentes(Hemingways and Don Carlos) are among my favorites also; along with Padrons(any), Olivas(series G and V) and Don Pepin(any). I've had great service ordering online from Holts, Cigars International, Serious Cigars and JR. If you like the A F Fuentes Hemingway line (which is in a cameroon wrapper) and like maduro, try the maduro Hemingways, available from Tampa Sweethearts Cigar Co. This is the only place I've found them,but they are amazing.

Trying a few recently myself. Looking forward to an H.Upmann tomorrow morning. NOTHING beats bourbon with a good cigar - Scotch/Irish/Cdn just can't stand up to cigars IMHO. Rum is a second when I can't get any (decent) bourbon up here in TO...

Interesting that I just can't appretiate Maduros. Too...intense for me at present.

Trying a few recently myself. Looking forward to an H.Upmann tomorrow morning. NOTHING beats bourbon with a good cigar - Scotch/Irish/Cdn just can't stand up to cigars IMHO. Rum is a second when I can't get any (decent) bourbon up here in TO...

Interesting that I just can't appretiate Maduros. Too...intense for me at present.

If you'd like to try a maduro that isn't quite so full-tilt, go to CigarsInternational.com and order either the Victor Sinclair Vintage Select in a torpedo size or a Cu-Avana maduro in either a torpedo or toro size. Both have EXCELLENT flavor, great draw, and are a very mild maduro. They are a great way to slowly get into the maduro cigars.

After you've acquired a palate for them, order some Nestor Reserve Maduros. Awesome cigar...

Someone just gave me a cigar called H. Upmann Havava, on the side it says Corona Major.

I do not smoke but confess it smells nice when you take off the screw cap. When you nose the wrapper it smells cedar-like, and reminds me of the smell of some bourbons in fact.

Just curious, how does Upmann rate, is this one good, are there others in the range which are better?

I just saw that Frodo mentioned Upmann too, so I presume this is considered a good cigar.

Gary

For the Cuban fans out there you have to try the Gurkha. Avaliable from Cigar International and good cigar stores. Everything they make is great. Especially so is the Reagent, Anniversario, Legend, and Centurian XX.

I prefer cameroon, though I smoke less than twice a month. In fact, there is nothing in my humidor right now. Fuente rolls a cameroon which I recall being a panatela shape for release once a year, my tobacconist describes it as the benchmark for cameroons. I prefer H. Uppman's Vintage Cameroon. A few other memorable smokes: Perdomo Cuban Cafe, almost any Padron Maduros, H. Uppman 2000, Royal Jamaica Parklane, most of the Battleground series ($3 !), and Macanudo is consistently above average.

Brands I avoid: La Gloria Cubana, Don Diego, Carlos Torano, and Onyx.

For the Cuban fans out there you have to try the Gurkha. Avaliable from Cigar International and good cigar stores.

You're right. I recently had a Gurkha Double Maduro. Very Nice indeed (along with a pour of Pappy 20).

Joe :usflag:

Someone just gave me a cigar called H. Upmann Havava, on the side it says Corona Major.

I do not smoke but confess it smells nice when you take off the screw cap. When you nose the wrapper it smells cedar-like, and reminds me of the smell of some bourbons in fact.

Just curious, how does Upmann rate, is this one good, are there others in the range which are better?

I just saw that Frodo mentioned Upmann too, so I presume this is considered a good cigar.

Gary

Hi Gary:

I have the impression that Upmann is considered a "light" smoke - more for beginners than anything else. After having mine, my reaction was that it was "OK". Went back to my Cohiba Siglo 1 last week...

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are still experamenting I have had great success w/ http://www.seriouscigars.com/ . You can buy singles or Boxes of what ever he carries. so far great service too.

2 nice cigars I just tried and fell in love with are the Don Pepin Cuban Classic Perla, and Tatuaje Cabaiguan Petites. (I have been looking for a 30 to 40 min great smoke) I also belive you cannot go wrong w/ any of the Padrons. But, again like bourbon, every one has his own taste.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.