george dickel

leebo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whats up with the brand. I live in the Boston Ma area and supply is short. One of my stores says the #12 is on back order. The other says they are redoing the packaging ?

The last time I had the current George Dickel 12 (earlier this year) I thought it was very good. It had much less of the so-called vitamins taste some here noted in the bottlings of 2 or 3 years back. It is a good product.

Gary

I still see it everywhere here in TN. However, I have noticed it is not stacked nearly as deep as usual.

Is the #8 still on shelves there? I haven't seen any in a while where I live.

A year ago on the tour I was told they were discontinuing the No. 8 for a while. They need to build up their inventory after the shutdown.

The current No. 12 is probably the oldest it's been in a long time, also due to the shutdown.

The #8 has been available in Tennessee and a few other 'special' markets even during the current, 'proper-age' drought. While, official line is that has been temporarily 'discontinued', it simply isn't widely marketed until newly-matured whiskey is in plentiful supply again.

My guess is they're matching, as best they can, the black-label taste profile with less mature older whiskey, in much the same way Jack Daniel's bottles the green-labeled #7 from first-floor barrels.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent the last few evenings with the new Cascade Hollow Batch Recipe 3yo 80 proof whiskey.

I must admit, I find it perfectly drinkable, even enjoyable. With a nice cracked corn approach reminiscent of some Irish whiskies (say Power's) but without the copper crunchiness of that bottling. The light aging and/or charcoal mellowing has tamed enough of the raw flavors to reveal a grassy lightly minted palate. The slightest hint of sootyness is accompanied by a (if you can imagine this) unsweetened vanilla accent. The finish is predictably short.

I'm not sure how this would compare to how Dickel tasted at this age prior to the shutdown, but I think this will be something to watch as it works its way through the various bottlings, I see good things on the make. Before this I could not see making a 3yo 80 proof whiskey a regular pour, and we'll see if I stay as enamored with it as I go through this bottle, but this could become a regular pour.

I look forward to, one day, opening a variety of Dickel bottlings of both pre and post shutdown vintages to see how much things have changed....just 7 or so more years to get it through all of the bottlings...I guess I'll be holding onto that 60s pint of #8 a while longer...:grin:

...I look forward to, one day, opening a variety of Dickel bottlings of both pre and post shutdown vintages to see how much things have changed....just 7 or so more years to get it through all of the bottlings...

Timothy,

The East Bay SG tasted several eras of Dickel a few months back. Some thoughts are posted here in posts 47 and 48

We didn't have any post-shutdown bottlings AFAIK, but I was impressed by how similar the profile has been over 40 years.

Roger

Timothy,

The East Bay SG tasted several eras of Dickel a few months back. Some thoughts are posted here in posts 47 and 48

We didn't have any post-shutdown bottlings AFAIK, but I was impressed by how similar the profile has been over 40 years.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I guess I should have said post shutdown stock. The new stuff that just hit the Cascade Hollow will slowly work its way through the system. I still need to find a recent #8 to put away for this future tasting, but already have the #12 and Barrel Select and the 10yo all safely bunkered. With the 60s #8 to go with it, it is one of the most complete samples of one distillery I can put together and should be fun to try them all side by side whenever that happens.

If you live in Mass go check out Julio's in Westboro. I was there last week and they had plenty of it. They also still have lots of the BTAC. All of the Van Winkle's are there also. The Pappy's are on the top shelf of course. The Old Rip 90 proof and the 107 proof are on the shelf second from the bottom if you can believe that.

They also have the Colorado Whiskey mixed in with the BTAC collection for the same price. I've heard that it's no good so I don't know what it's doing right next to the Stagg and WL Weller for the same price no less.

Chris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.