BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While I don't always have the funds or the resources to procure a BOTM bottle, I look forward to reading about whiskies I haven't tasted.

As for my vote for the year, I'd go for either FRSB (for it's great flavor profile, together with price point), or the EC18 (for it's sheer uniqueness--although the recent Binny's bottling was less favorable than the only other one I purchased, which dated from a few years ago).

The WLW is in a class on its own, really. I've had just one bottle and the barrel proof stuff, to me, is not like anything 110 or lower. In other words, it's on a different level. That said, it's a close third.

As for vatting, I wholeheartedly endorse some kind of forum for this virtually unexplored territory. I've often fantasized about a recipe book or something of the sort with vatting combos. Gillman has always intrigued me with his own musings of the sort, and I surely would like to encourage more from him as well as experimentation on my own.

Cheers and happy holidays!

I too like the VOTM idea but I agree that is belongs in the tasting section. For here I think it might be interesting to do a head to head with the winner being declared the BOTM. Rotate this concept with the traditional method and some of the other ideas. And a year end discussion or vote of all the winners.

I too see the great value in the BOTM threads. I see no reason why the same BOTM can't be the same bottle in different years; no two years are the same, right? It might be nice to compare, say, an EC18, Four Roses Single Barrel or WTRB purchased last year to one purchased this year. The same actors get Academy Awards every year for different roles/films and I see no reason why the everchanging beauty of bourbon can't be afforded the same consideration.

Great, very informative threads overall and I revisit them often.

Cheers!

BOTM is my favorite part of the forums. While I agree that it is important to highlight bourbons that are moderately priced and relatively easy to find, I think it may be fun to pick some bourbons that aren't quite as readily available.

Granted, the folks in Kentucky will always have a decided advantage :bowdown:, but there would be an added element of fun for those of us who have to look high and low for the tasty bourbons of the world.

I agree with the general sentiment that BOTM is one of the best features of the site. I think that with a little flexibility, like VOTM (on occasion) this can go on for quite some time. Remember too that many bourbons change over time so revisiting a bottle after a few years might not be such a bad thing.

I haven't had all the BOTM but have had 7. Of those listed I would choose Blanton's or EC 18 as BOTY. Both of them have body IMHO.

Howdy,

I'm new to Bourbon, despite being an LSU grad :slappin: So my vote is divided into "Over $20" and "Under $20".

1. "Over $20": Knob Creek. Smoooth and Oaky with some kick.

2. "Under $20" Plain-old JBW. For less than $15 out the door, it's a good git-er-done Diet Coke additive.

Maybe this time next year, I'll be able to add more selections as my experience with America's Native Spirit increases.

Eggman

Well, dang man! You should have went to Miss. St, or UK, then you could talk whisky! :slappin:

If you like JBW for a low buck mixer, then try Old Charter...or Evan Williams.

My choice in the under $20 is 10 year old Heaven Hill, but it has limited availability. Anything over $20 should never be polluted with anything more than a few ice cubes, or spring water. And, in that category, I'd say Blantons, but then I've not had any of the upscale Van Winkles.

WLW 06 is my hands down best of the year, and to this point, best whiskey I've drank.

I was lucky enough to buy 4 bottles, drank half a bottle last night with dad!

The problem is, only 11/2 bottles remain.

WLW 06 is my hands down best of the year.

I will have to agree on the WLW, I also like the Thomas Handy Rye, I am currently rotating between bottles.

• 1 month later...

Being new to this thread and only drinking bourbon (straight with 1 or 2 ice cubes) only for a couple of years I think you need to keep the BOTM just for some feedback and ideas. Thank you

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!