Beam Rye

RedVette
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yuck? Just having my first sample, and this tastes like...well I'm not sure what it tastes like, but I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Anybody else?

I don't like it either.

Another one to avoid is Old Overholt, Beam also makes it.

They probably come out of the same barrel.

I've never been a fan of the Beam Rye although I remember it having some esteemed advocates here. Maybe Gary or Chuck? Can't remember exactly but there are some who like it. I prefer the WT Rye. Or the Rittenhouse, of course. The Old Overholt, on the other hand, has always been all right by me. Particularly the older 86 proof bottles.

-Mike

JB Rye may be my favorite sipping whiskey. It's so easy to drink, it's dangerous. I like it much more than WT Rye, OO, or RR Rye. I think JB Rye is a great whiskey.

I recently posted that I'd just finished off my first bottle of JB Rye, and wouldn't be in any particular hurry to replace it. (And I do like rye whiskeys, having tried WT, Saz Jr, and Michter's.)

Well, I lied. After learning that they have changed the label, I bought another of the original Screaming Yellow Zonker label bottles and tucked it away. I don't really expect it to be worth anything someday, but it might at least become a good conversation piece.

So I'll amend my original statement to say that I won't be in any particular hurry to open another bottle of JB Rye.

Larry

Wild Turkey Rye has become one of my favorites. I do however enjoy Old Overholt and Jim Beam Rye. They are what they are. 10 dollar whiskys.

Chris

It wasn't me, although I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of Jim Beam rye. Over the Christmas holiday I had several drinks of its stablemate, Old Overholt, and I must say it didn't make much of an impression on me one way or the other. It was not offensive but I wasn't making yummy sounds either.

I'm one of the fans of Jim Beam rye. I really like it, although it isn't a ten dollar whiskey around here - more like $15. I love the nose especially, but I agree with Martian - it's seductive. Lots of taste of the fresh spirit, matured but without too much overlying or interfering oak influence. I like it much better than Old Overholt, which is not very similar IMO, despite also being from Jim Beam. For one thing, I believe that they use a different yeast, perhaps the original OO strain.

As I have posted here several times before, it was Jim Murray's description of it in his 1998 Complete Book of Whiskey ("one of the world's super-great whiskeys") that pushed me into my appreciation of whiskey, especially American whiskey.

Jeff

Neat in a glass or with a splash of water. And I do like it. Has that Old Grand Dad Smell and taste. At least it reminds me of OGD so pick up some of that as well. All four can be found here in Wisconsin for under $20.

Neat.

Too weak to dilute by mixing in a cocktail or with water or soda.

It's a very nice neat pour, especially before dinner. Spirited stuff.

this tastes like...well I'm not sure what it tastes like

I actually get a bit of . . . peanut butter. Anyone else agree?

Same with OO, which to me tastes extremely similar. I don't taste this with any other rye. I actually like these two whiskeys once in a while as a novelty, although I agree they are a bit watery.

for those that really like it, how do you drink it?

As HipFlask likes his, neat or with a splash of water. But I also love it in a manhattan - very spicy. Because of its lower proof, I don't use as much vermouth as I do with higher proof whiskeys - about 2.5:1, I'd guess.

Jeff

I like it primarily neat. But, I have tried it over ice and it holds up pretty well. I think JB Rye has a nice balance. The rye spice is not overwhelming, and it has a nice slightly sweet finish of bubble gum. Old Overholt is entirely different. It reminds me of flax seed oil.

• 11 months later...

Well, I'm resurrecting the dead with this post, but I just picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Rye for $12.50 here in Idaho yesterday. I drank a glass last night on the rocks with a splash of water and, although I've read several people say on here that they don't care for it, I really liked it. With its low proof, it's really drinkable. I thought it had a great flavor, even if it lacked complexity.

I think anything under $20 would be a pretty good buy on this bourbon (although I'd rather buy EC12, Fighting Cock, Old Weller Antique 107, or catch Eagle Rare on sale) but for $12.50, it's a downright awesome poor.

I'm about to grab a cigar, pour a glass, and head to my garage to watch the Cowboys-Giants game and introduce my Dad to Jim Beam Rye and see what he thinks. God bless!

Well, I'm resurrecting the dead with this post, but I just picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Rye for $12.50 here in Idaho yesterday. I drank a glass last night on the rocks with a splash of water and, although I've read several people say on here that they don't care for it, I really liked it. With its low proof, it's really drinkable. I thought it had a great flavor, even if it lacked complexity.

I think anything under $20 would be a pretty good buy on this bourbon (although I'd rather buy EC12, Fighting Cock, Old Weller Antique 107, or catch Eagle Rare on sale) but for $12.50, it's a downright awesome poor.

I'm about to grab a cigar, pour a glass, and head to my garage to watch the Cowboys-Giants game and introduce my Dad to Jim Beam Rye and see what he thinks. God bless!

i'm on a spree of buying way too expensive (but so far, more than worth it!) whiskies!

but time to grab some bargains...this post reminds me to just go ahead and get a bottle of the JB rye which is only (and always!) $10.99 at a claymont DE store (as is OO). might be a good one to sip while drinking a hoppy brew.

For me, the ryes are best enjoyed neat and I don't mind the low proof at all (even though with bourbon I prefer 90 or better). Makes this easy to sip and I think it has a sweetness that OO doesn't have and although I think they are similar, they have different things to offer. This was the first rye I had a few years back and it still tastes the way I remembered it...smooth, slightly spicy, but definitely sweet albeit in a different way than KSBW.

• 3 weeks later...

the bottle i threatened to buy before Yule is now empty!

was, yes, a bit watery at 80 proof....but given some (deserved) respect, it offered up some interesting nuances....and DID blend well with egg nog.

having just bought an on sale WT rye at $17.99 and having tasted this again, i don't know, i'll be glad to pay double for WT rye...never had rittenhouse, but at least i know WT, OO JB, baby Saz and Handy Saz intimately. WT is certainly in the top 2...or 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.