Name that Glass

~JM~
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maybe you good folks could help me out, what are the name of the glasses in the pic's below?

glassjo5.jpg

glassjo5.ecacf9ff0c.jpg

Which glass would you use for scotch, bourbon and gin? I've been using the tall set in the middle and the short set on the left for whiskey and the one on the right for gin. Some whiskey tasting sites suggest a certain glass for different drinks so out of curiosity I thought I'd ask.

The short set I bought at a church yard sale for a buck and are my favorite glasses because of the little history lessons on them about crossbows, pistols, etc. They also allow whiskey to warm in the hand a little.

Thanks.

j

• 2 weeks later...

Hey J, the outside 2 look like rocks glasses and the middle a standard water glass.

I have a pair of Glencairn glasses and several sets of the Reidel Crystal Bourbon glasses both great for neat drinking but there are cheaper alternatives.

If you do a search you can find talk on both!

Good luck, if all else fails most of them are still bottled in glass and it works! :lol:

Cheers!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

For a single malt i would take the middle glass for its shape,the right one for blends and gins the left one looks like an old shaped glass for Dutch brandy.I still prefer the Glencairn glasses for tasting single malts but you also have good results with Frenchcognacglasses too and they are a lot cheaper.

Eric.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a note, you can get (at least I got mine recently) Glencairn glasses with an Old Rip Van Winkle print/engraving from the ORVW gift shop.

-Kevin

I got my Glencairn glasses from the Bourbon Heritage Center (HH) and they are nice glasses to be sure. I have found, however, that having a "proper" glass is far less important than what is in the glass. Have a number of glasses on hand and pour a good dram into whatever suits you at any particular time. It is nice to have a variety of glasses. I think that the glass you choose can really enhance your enjoyment of the whiskey, but let your mood decide which glass you choose, not any sense of what others may tell you is "proper."

Cheers!

I received my Glencairn glass from BT in the mail. It is an Old Rip VanWinkle and I love it. My favorite tasteing glass. I don't drink out of it all the time, but it works great for sample tastes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.