Cuban Cigars

SlowEddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any cigar sold in the US that is "Cuban" has likely been made with pre embargo Cuban tobacco. That means that the tobacco used has been sitting in a warehouse for nearly 50 years. I have always heard that once you get past a certain point tobacco will start to lose its flavor. So I don't know how good a smoke those would be.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the mental masturbation! Just light up something you enjoy and pair it up with a bourbon of choice. I've enjoyed some phenomenal CC and I've ashed some cheap FDO's. What I'm smoking can be determined by time and place or mad money in hand.

I'm feeling like an Oliva V right about now.

• 4 weeks later...

I love cigars that are from the Dominican Republic. Henry Clays are my favorite. They have a 'tang' that other premium cigars just don't have.

• 9 months later...

Some of the "mystique" associated with Cuban cigars may be unwarranted or unrelated to today's cigars. Production quality is certainly lower than it was 60 years ago. And many of the great cigar makers did flee Castro's dictatorship.

On the other hand, should you have the opportunity to smoke a good Cuban cigar, you will understand what the fuss is about. Besides the extremely expensive (but truly delicious) Cohiba Robustos, Lanceros, and Esplendidos, there are many wonderful cigars that can be bought for much less than many overpriced Dominican cigars and which taste many times better. Bolivar Royal Coronas, Upmann Epicure no.2, Romeo y Julieta Ex.no.4 are some of my favorites. In theory, of course, since I would never purchase a Cuban cigar. Of course.

• 1 month later...

OK; I came over here with 2 objectives; support the troop in a meaningful way & pay off all debt. I accomplished #2 a couple months ago, and since then I have been smoking the hell out of the Cuban cigars available.

The Partagas, Romeo y Julieta and Monticristo weren't bad but as said really no better than Nicaraguan, DR or Honduran.

I love the Cohibas, they are rolled tight, almost as solid as a drum stick, but unlike some tight cigars that draw like trying to suck a thick milkshake through a thin straw, these Cohibas draw effortlessly, produce copious volumes of fragrant smoke, burn evenly and leave an ash that will be 2-3 inches long before falling off.

What I am buying mostly is the new maduro 5 line, the bands do not state a size but the ones I'm buying are Churchill sized, very flavorful in the mouth and sweet and mild from the first draw to the last. I also have some OpusX to compare against, and I have to say if this were a horse race the OpusX would be second by half a length to these Cohiba maduros. If you ever have a chance to get your hands on one of these maduro 5s do it! Read some of the reviews in the link...

http://www.cubanlous.com/cohiba-maduro-secretos-cigars-p-676.html

• 1 month later...

Well, I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste, as with everything. Cohibas, I suppose, are more likely to have good construction than most all the other brands. Going with the free-world brands you get from Nicaragua, Honduras, and DR, you will certainly find better construction. But the tobacco is the difference. If you buy a box of 25 from Cuba and 3-4 are plugged to the point of not being enjoyable to smoke, but the rest taste great while canoeing a little, will it have been a waste of money? I guess that's up to each person to decide... I personally will go through a lot for the great flavor.

As for the cigars available in the States, my favorites have always been Padrons. Though I like the American version of the Punch Punch. It'll knock you on your ass if you don't like strong cigars. Though I haven't had one since college...

I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste, as with everything. ....I personally will go through a lot for the great flavor.

It's a RyJ Churchill... and the pic is from over 5 years ago. :) When I smoked cigars on a more regular basis, I was a big fan of the Bolivar Royal Corona and RyJ Ex. No.4. Cohibas were too expensive for me then, and I don't smoke cigars much now. And I do think Cohibas provide significantly less value for the money, though expensive cigars suffer from the law of diminishing returns just like most other things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.