Crowgey Republication Imminent

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I believe Mike Veach tipped us some time ago that this was in the works.

The University of Kentucky Press has decided to republish Henry Crowgey's Kentucky Bourbon: The Early Years of Whiskeymaking.

Originally published in 1971, this is one of the few serious scholarly works ever done on the subject, and is a very thorough and credible account of the industry's development in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The release is scheduled for February, 2008. Amazon is accepting pre-release orders. (That's the link.)

I won't lie. If you buy it using this link, you will put a few pennies in my pocket, but the cost to you is the same.

post-5-14489813550085_thumb.jpg

Any idea on the release date? Looks like just the sort of book I would like to read. Thanks for the tip I will keep an eye out for it.

Any idea on the release date? Looks like just the sort of book I would like to read. Thanks for the tip I will keep an eye out for it.

Amazon says Feb. 1. I just ordered it, along with Sam Cecil's book, finally (I started out at your link, Chuck -- but, after logging in, browsing, checking previous orders, etc., I don't know if I did you any good at all -- hope so!).

I'm not sure. It might be all of 70 cents. Anybody can play. It's called the Amazon Associates Program.

You'll be rich! :lol:

Hmmm, when I read this thread title I thought Chuck had uncharacteristically overimbibed, forgot how to spell his own name and decided to become a political Conservative.....

I'm not sure. It might be all of 70 cents. Anybody can play. It's called the Amazon Associates Program.

I think I got almost two dollars last quarter.

I do much better with google AdSense. Not enough to quit the day job, but enough to pay for the web hosting.

I think if I actually updated my book reviews put some more effort into it I could get more amazon money. It was a sad day when they figured out how to deduct my own purchases.

• 5 weeks later...

For people who don't like to pre-order, just thought I'd let you know that the book is shipping, as of today. I just got the shipping notice.

Ordered it some time ago and got it a few days ago....

I'm only a chapter or two into it and my impressions so far are not great:

Writing style (IMHO) is turgid and plodding. Not a page-turner by any means. Some interesting historical stuff here but presented in the most boring and unimaginative way possible.

Again, to be fair : I'm only a little way into this... but, other than a historical (in a dissertational way) reference, kind of a yawn.

Got mine today too.

Maybe I should have given a more detailed review in my original post, but I thought "serious" and especially "scholarly" would convey that it's not light reading. Still, it contains a lot of good stuff.

Got mine and I think I may have lined your pocket with a little change, Mr. Cowdery. Thanks for the tip on the book. Like you and others have said, not light reading, but I'm interested. Maybe a splash of bourbon will make it more entertaining...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.