where's the Stagg and Weller

birdman1099
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've exausted all my options.

Can anyone point me the way to a bottle of Stagg and Weller. I do not mind driving several hours for pick up.

My state does not allow shipping in.

Any thoughts ????

Is Indiana a controlled state? Have you talked to your local liquor merchant about special ordering? I live in a controlled state and there are just some things I can't get here in VA which forces me to drive into D.C. or MD to find various bourbons. Sometimes the only option is to take your business out of state. If you do, check your state laws regarding importing spirits over state lines...there may be limits on how much you can bring in.

I've exausted all my options.

Can anyone point me the way to a bottle of Stagg and Weller. I do not mind driving several hours for pick up.

My state does not allow shipping in.

Any thoughts ????

I go to South Bend, Indiana at least once a year, so I'm familiar with this store:

City-Wide Liquors

109 E. Jefferson Blvd.

South Bend, IN

574 287 8652

http://citywideliquors.com/locations

They have almost always had Stagg when I have visited in May, June and July, so they are worth a call.

It is unfortunate that mosy states prohibit all mail order and internet liquor purchases, with Indiana making it a felony (like KY, FL, etc.). Massachusetts is almost as bad: no carrier is allowed to deliver, even if permission to import could be obtained (fat chance). Good luck!

I haven't been out looking recently (my order is on hold for me in Chicago), but several of the 21st Amendment's in Indianapolis have been well stocked in past years with the whole BTAC. I would recommend calling any of their stores on the north side of Indy and see if they have it in stock (eg. N. Illinois, 86th St, 71st St, or any of their Carmel stores).

Tom

Thanks for the replys.

South Bend is quite a ways away from me and I dont make it up there too often. (i can get to Alabama quicker than I can get to S. Bend)

I do get to Indy quite often. I'll try there.

Any liquor stores in Louisville (or any place west of) that would carry any of the BTAC?

Thanks for helpin' out an addict !!!!:rolleyes:

• 10 years later...

I know this is an old thread. However it still seems relevant.  Had not thought much about it as Weller was far down on my try list. But finally got around to it. I was looking for something else and saw a bottle of Antique Weller so I grabbed it. Since then notta, no Weller in any of the places I have checked, does not even seem to be in some of the online stores. Any idea what is going on? Is this a real shortage or just a ploy to drive up the price and create a reputation?

6 minutes ago, mross said:

I know this is an old thread. However it still seems relevant.  Had not thought much about it as Weller was far down on my try list. But finally got around to it. I was looking for something else and saw a bottle of Antique Weller so I grabbed it. Since then notta, no Weller in any of the places I have checked, does not even seem to be in some of the online stores. Any idea what is going on? Is this a real shortage or just a ploy to drive up the price and create a reputation?

Wow, quite the necro-bump...  Well, since we both live in NJ, I'll give you a bit of color, and then we can put this thread to bed for another 10 years and see where we are with Weller in 2028.  :) 

10 years ago, Old Weller Antique (NAS 107 proof) used to be on shelves all the time in NJ and NY at around $20 per bottle.  Weller 12 was never distributed in NJ, but was on shelves in a smattering of stores in NY at around $20 per bottle.  Fortunately, I stocked up on both at the time.

Then, Weller really started getting linked and discussed in the same breath as Pappy Van Winkle bourbons, all hell broke loose, and OWA and W12 disappeared from shelves generally speaking in NY and NJ, save for an occasional store barrel of OWAW12 is virtually a unicorn up here--if you see it, it will be priced prohibitively.

That's it in a nutshell.  Apparently, unless you live in Texas or some other select areas, Weller will continue to be hard to come by at reasonable prices for the foreseeable future.  But keep your eyes and ears open for stores in NJ getting an occasional barrel of OWA, with bottles generally selling for $30-$60 in those instances. 

It's funny there was a store around the block from me that for a few years up until the moved at the end of 2017 almost always had OWA on the shelf for $23.99, so I have plenty in the bunker. It took them quite a while to get up and running in their new location and now all of their BT/Saz allocations are out the window. With the news that OWA is going up in price next year I was almost tempted to pick up that $60 store pick but I haven't caved. 

This is very frustrating for those of us that don't live in Texas.  I'll probably have an opportunity to travel to TX for work next year, but would probably only be able to bring home 2 or 3 bottles in my checked bag.

My company did some work in TX in the spring and I had co workers scouring stores for Weller OWA and W12 and nothing. All the stores were telling them they didn't get any anymore. 

18 hours ago, Clueby said:

My company did some work in TX in the spring and I had co workers scouring stores for Weller OWA and W12 and nothing. All the stores were telling them they didn't get any anymore. 

I was in Austin this week and found plenty of WSR. The guys in the store  said they rarely see OWA and WL12 but almost always have WSR.  

My guess is distributors and retailers hold back bottles for themselves, their best customers, lotteries, and the secondary market.

Producers are producing and they earn based on MSRP.  Everything else land under the distributors and retailers.  I’m guessing increased distribution to bars has thrown off the balance at retail.

Wow this is s fascinating 10 year bump. Original poster was actually looking for BTAC and seemed to get better leads for it then the 2018 bumper looking back for just plain old Weller.

Man where’s my time machine.

• I like it 2

Where's the Stagg???? Why, it's stashed away in my basement!

stagg.thumb.jpg.da78450bb9242acb2319026d76acec0f.jpg

Your basement has a nice backsplash.
  • I like it 2

If it's Stagg Jr you're looking for, there's quite few stores in the KC area that have it on their shelves for $43-46.

Original poster wasn’t looking for Stagg Jr. product didn’t even exist in those days. He also wasn’t looking for some dusty Old Stagg but I’m sure he would’ve taken some he was looking for BTAC Stagg and I’m guessing he’s scored some bottles in the past 10 years.

18 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

If it's Stagg Jr you're looking for, there's quite few stores in the KC area that have it on their shelves for $43-46.

I’d back up the truck. 

I agree with the comments above about how Weller used to sit on the shelves down in TX.  6 years ago there was paper label OWA all over at the small mom and pop places.  Then those disappeared but Weller 12 everywhere.  then Weller 12 gone and down to OWA.  Was just in Houston last week and WSR was only thing around.  I have to thank TX for a lot of great bottles consumed.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.