1921 Tequila

whiskydude
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yea!! Although it may cut into my bourbon budget, I see that Cork n Bottle is carrying 1921 Tequila now! I sampled some of this fine nectar about 2 1/2 years ago in Cancun and even brought a bottle of the Special Reserve back home. It is quite good, even in this new era where premium tequilas can be had at most any store. I am wondering if anyone else has sampled? It seems they must be building their anejo stores as I don't remember seeing one at the C/B. They did have an older reposado as I recall though. I think I paid about 50.00 usd in Cancun when I brought mine back. I remember the cost as about the same at C/B. One of the few tequilas I enjoyed neat and wasn't a shooter.

1921 used to have a Reserva Especial - sort of an uber reposado that was aged 8-12 months thus they could not use the Anejo age designation. What I heard on the Mumpsimous Forum is that the 1921 brand will steam clean the casks they will use for this expression and relaunch this as an Anejo. Not sure how this will turn out, but it's too bad (IMHO) that they monkeyed around with the Reserva. I liked it fine the way it was...

Yes let's hope it has only improved. I quite enjoyed what they had going back then. The plato was good but too strong to drink neat for me. They also had some kind of tequila rose creme liqueur which I didn't really care for.

One of my favorite tequilas.

I bought it originally in Puerto Vallerta at La Casa del Tequila on the recommendation of my Mexican American barber. Was he right!!

For a while it was available at Sam's and they even had it at Adobo Grill Restaurant on Wells St. in Old Town (the old That Steak Joynt). I haven't been able to find it for a while (not awhile, I checked), but I still have most of a bottle. Guess the explanation is above. I hope they bring it back.

We brought our bottle back in early June of 2005 and it was gone by August. At the time I didn't really drink bourbon, but mostly Single malt scotch. I hadn't imagined sipping a tequila but this one got me. It may have led me to the knowledge that the Scots didn't have the monopoly on good spirits that could be enjoyed neat.

So to 1921 I say Muchas Gracias!

Yeah, it's interesting that in tequila, the price of the bottle often reflects the packaging not what's in the bottle. 1921 was (is) a tequila that gives good value like El Tesoro does...

Very true. Being a fan of Van Halen/Hagar I did cough up the the 50+ dollars for Sammy's Cabo Wabo reposado a few years back. I was inexperienced in my tastes and at the time I thought it was pretty good. It is better than the average stuff, but the higher price seems more for the name and not as much the product.

Going to Puerta Vallarta soon. May try to get 1921 at La Casa del Tequila, along with some others that aren't available here.

Going to Puerta Vallarta soon. May try to get 1921 at La Casa del Tequila, along with some others that aren't available here.

The great thing about Casa Del Tequila in PV is that they let you taste before you buy (not everything but they have a few open bottles). I'd recommend trying El Tesoro, 7 Leguas, Centinella and 1921 among others. These are the better "bang for your buck" tequilas that get good reviews from a tequila forum I belong to. Centinella would be the lone exception in this group. Its flavours are reputed to be quite soft (never had any yet), but might make a good counterpoint to the others.

If you want to try something "top shelf", two choices I'd recommend are 1921 and Reserva de la Famillia.

Very true. Being a fan of Van Halen/Hagar I did cough up the the 50+ dollars for Sammy's Cabo Wabo reposado a few years back. I was inexperienced in my tastes and at the time I thought it was pretty good. It is better than the average stuff, but the higher price seems more for the name and not as much the product.

I agree 100% with that assessment of Cabo Wabo. The reposado used to be $90 cdn up here in Ontario...

The great thing about Casa Del Tequila in PV is that they let you taste before you buy (not everything but they have a few open bottles). I'd recommend trying El Tesoro, 7 Leguas, Centinella and 1921 among others. These are the better "bang for your buck" tequilas that get good reviews from a tequila forum I belong to. Centinella would be the lone exception in this group. Its flavours are reputed to be quite soft (never had any yet), but might make a good counterpoint to the others.

If you want to try something "top shelf", two choices I'd recommend are 1921 and Reserva de la Famillia.

Thanks for the recommendations. 1921 I have and know I like. While I like van Halen, I'm not a fan of Cabo Wabo. I'm looking for tequilas that aren't available here. I also got Don Julio 1942 at La Casa before it was available here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.