Whats the best low cost rye?

PAspirit1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of my next purchases will be a lower cost rye. Here is the list of the ones I am considering.

Rittenhouse 100 11.89+tax

Old Overholt 8.69+tax

Saz 6 22.99+tax

Wild Turkey (on sale) 15.99+tax

Pikesville Supreme 10.99+tax

Jim Beam 11.99

I’d be interested in hearing others opinions. Whats the best whiskey and whats the best deal? Is the Saz that much better than the Rittenhouse to justify costing double? Are the premium labels that much better?

From what I have read here, you are right in line with the choices you have listed. WT and Rittenhouse 100 BIB in particular are two that nobody here has been disappointed with over the time in which I have read comments.

If you are considering the Saz Jr, you might want to take a look at something new from WT - Russell's Reserve Rye. However, at $27+, you are moving into the middle price ranges and not the low end. It is 6YO and IMHO very good.

I would cast my vote for the Rittenhouse BIB. I find it to be very full of flavor, yet lacking some of the "harshness" that I have found in other similarly priced bottles.

I think all your bottles are good, and the prices as well, but I am in State controlled WA.

As for the Saz 6 being that much better than the Rittenhouse, I would say from strictly a $$ perspective, not in my book. But do I think it is good and worth the $22.99...Yes. I paid $25 here in WA and I'm not disappointed.

:toast:

Also try Michters Straight Rye Single Barrel US1 around the same price as Saz jr. Slightly less alc 42.4 I find these easier to drink and enjoy flavors. Rittenhouse 100 Rye can be pretty intense.

I see some very good info above. I've never tried the Rittenhouse but I've only heard good things about it. I like Old Overholt... it's very cheap but, in my opinion, very good. Saz Jr. and WT Rye are my favorites. I'd like to see how the WTRR rye compares to WT rye.

My first pick would also be Rittenhouse. It says Rye with several exclaimation points.

I agree with others that WT and the Saz Jr are great picks, too, even at their higher prices, but I'll also put in a plug for the Pikesville. It is only 80 proof and not the most complex, but it has a very bright and pleasing rye flavor.

Overholt and Beam are the only ones I wouldn't recommend if you are looking for a single one to buy. To me, they are just ok as a novelty. They are also indistinguishable from each other.

The Rittenhouse is very good, but Overholt (made by Beam) would be hard to beat at that price. Around here it's usually the same or a little higher than Rittenhouse.

Thanks for the replies. I know taste is subjective but I thought it would be interesting to read some other perspectives. I was leaning towards the Rittenhouse. I thought possibly some of its positive talk could have been price or novelty but it seems to genuinely esteemed.

The price on the Old Overholt is a strange anomally. Its cheaper to order it than if you find it on the shelves in PA. You can't even get a drink in a bar for less than maybe 3 or 4$ with tip - that I know of.

IIRC, Rittenhouse also has an 80 proof version for those who are not interested in the 100 proof style. I have also tried most of these and found them all to be very drinkable or to use as a base to "Gilmanize" your two favorites. My two that I mix together are the Turkey 101 and OO 80. It makes for a very well rounded dram. Have not had Pikesville or Beam yet.

Mozilla, you will find that JB Rye tastes a lot like OO 80. It has that same mustiness or thickness and reminds me of OGD as well. So if you like OGD you should also like JB Rye.

I was told that Beam would soon come out with a higher proof OO. I like the affordability of Overholt and hope that they don't put it in the Small Batch collection, which is a little pricey. Maybe in the price range of Turkey rye ($18)or Bib bourbon($15-17).

I've only tried two on the list. WT and OO. The WT was quite good and the OO was good considering the price. I've heard the JB was pretty good but it isn't stocked in Oregon.

I've had the Pikesville recently (stated to be 3 years old on the back) and didn't care for it straight. Sweet and spirity. Still, I've grown fond of it for a delicious, smooth, and refreshing high ball (mixed w/ 7-up). Will probably buy it again for that purpose due to the low price.

However, it's maybe a dollar cheaper than Rittenhouse so I may just forget what I just said...

I did a rye blind tasting yesterday at OscarV's house. I compared the Saz Jr. to the Rittenhouse BIB. I found the two very distinct.

The Saz has a distinctive Buffalo Trace flavor...I don't know how to describe it other than that. It has the same soft vanilla that I get from BT, Benchmark, OC10, etc. It is spicier than any of the standard bottlings of the above mentioned. The Saz really benefited from some air exposure. Tag line: Soft and Spicy

The Ritt has a proof advantage; you can taste it. I get more of a medicine/cinnamon quality. Tag line: Strong and Spicy.

My bottom line: both are good and both are different than most bourbons. You should have one of these on your bar.

For me, I'm going to replace my bottle of Ritt BIB with a bottle of Saz Jr. Ritt BIB isn't available in MI, and I like the softness/spiciness combo of the Saz.

Rittenhouse BIB gets my vote, it's a pretty solid value. The only other low cost rye (<$20) I've had was one I tried for the first time this weekend, OO 80, and I didn't think it was very good. It was drinkable but it tasted and smelled like it had some kind of piney household cleaner in it. 80 proof whiskeys almost always seem so lacking to me.

It turns out that despite what the PLCB website says, you have to order no less than three bottles when ordering Ritt 100 and pay a small 3-5 $ fee. So, the Rittenhouse is probably out. Bummer.

For some reason I am drawn to one the 11$ bottles (JB, OO or Pikesville.)

Pikesville is also Heaven Hill, so it should be close to the Rittenhouse, though it's not available BIB.

Thanks. I did not know that.

Anybody know if Pikesville is limited in its distribution? I have never seen it in Tennessee although I suspect it to be available in the middle or eastern portions of the state by perhaps a limited number of retailers. Never seen it in the western section where I move around most of the time.

Seems like we in the west are the 'red-haired stepchild' when it comes to distribution variety in the great state of Taxxessee.:smiley_acbt:

Sorry, no offense intended to those with red hair. My mother and daughter both have red hair so I am a bit more than a novice in that area........well, better leave it at that.

Anybody know if Pikesville is limited in its distribution? I have never seen it in Tennessee although I suspect it to be available in the middle or eastern portions of the state by perhaps a limited number of retailers. Never seen it in the western section where I move around most of the time.

Seems like we in the west are the 'red-haired stepchild' when it comes to distribution variety in the great state of Taxxessee.:smiley_acbt:

Sorry, no offense intended to those with red hair. My mother and daughter both have red hair so I am a bit more than a novice in that area........well, better leave it at that.

I can't speak for West Tennessee, but you're right that it can be found to your East. McScrooge's in K'ville has it. Cheap too.

Whereas your area may be the "red-haired stepchild" when it comes to current distribution variety, I can speak volumes for the plethora of dusties mined from there! Between TNSQUIRE, TNBOURBON and TROYCE, some absolutely stellar finds have been nabbed in your vicinity.

If you're looking for a Pikesville, I'll try and snag one for you the next time I get to Knoxville. Just PM me if you want to put something together.

Cheers!

JOE

Whereas your area may be the "red-haired stepchild" when it comes to current distribution variety, I can speak volumes for the plethora of dusties mined from there! Between TNSQUIRE, TNBOURBON and TROYCE, some absolutely stellar finds have been nabbed in your vicinity.

You are correct. Over the past few years I have found a fairly good number of dusties in the area as well. Perhaps distribution used to be better than it is now. Anyhow, we are more fortunate than many other states. Also, I suppose we are lucky to be so close to Kentucky.

Jim Beam Rye, IMHO. Jim Murray gives it 93 pts. in his 2008 Whiskey Bible. I am in good company. He also gives Fleischmann's Rye 93 pts. I would like to try it, but I have never seen it.

I have an open bottle of Pikesville, which is emptying very, very slowly. The Saz 6 is probably the best of the ones you've listed, although WT rye at $15.98 is a stone bargain.

My regular rye pour for several years now has been seventies-vintage WT Rye, distilled in Maryland, but that's only because I found a bunch of dusties several years ago and bunkered them. I down to just one bottle left, alas. Real Maryland rye - I admit I've been blessed. Great, great stuff. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.