Whats the best low cost rye?

PAspirit1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Jim Beam Rye, IMHO. Jim Murray gives it 93 pts. in his 2008 Whiskey Bible. I am in good company. He also gives Fleischmann's Rye 93 pts. I would like to try it, but I have never seen it.

Sadly, it is rumored here that Fleishmann's is no longer being made. I am also a fan of it (and JB rye). They were somewhat similar in style, but I think I slightly preferred it to JB.

I used to pick it up in Wisconsin when visiting my sister - less than $20 a "handle" (1.75 liter). But my sister can't find it up there any longer, lending credence to this.

Jeff

I will probably get flamed for this but Old Overholt is not bad in a Sazerac cocktail. I have never drank it neat but I have spent years in New Orleans and if you order a Sazerac Cocktail in any bar in New Orleans it will be made with Old Overholt and they are good.

Flame away guys. :)

Sorry to cross-post, but I bought a bottle of the JB Rye. I couldn't drink it. It was that bad. I'm using it for an aging experiment. So, my rank now goes:

1. Saz 6

2. Ritt BIB

3. Anything else other than JB Rye

4. JB Rye

Ironically, for household cleansers, JB Rye ranks pretty well, just above Pine-sol. It gives the whole house that hard-to-capture boozy smell you find in so many biker bars. :grin:

IIRC, Rittenhouse also has an 80 proof version for those who are not interested in the 100 proof style. I have also tried most of these and found them all to be very drinkable or to use as a base to "Gilmanize" your two favorites. My two that I mix together are the Turkey 101 and OO 80. It makes for a very well rounded dram. Have not had Pikesville or Beam yet.

I had a great Combo the other night Jeff, Old Overholt Rye and Continental Peanut Lolita mixed on ice very nice the Rye made the peanut flavor jump out at you. Now that I have some Rittenhouse Rye will try it with the Peanut. I am very lucky to have a few cases of this old product of Continental Distilling it is interesting that no one makes a peanut Liquior Continental was the only one to ever make it that I know of and it is great 53 proof made with I am fairly sure for whiskey in the mix some of their Bourbon in it.

Dave Z

Sorry to cross-post, but I bought a bottle of the JB Rye. I couldn't drink it. It was that bad. I'm using it for an aging experiment. So, my rank now goes:

1. Saz 6

2. Ritt BIB

4. JB Rye

Interesting thread. I've been looking for one to vat with some BMH 18. I've had the WT in the past and liked it, but it's kinda sounding like the Saz 6 is the way to go.

As for the vatting, about a month ago I was approaching the end of my second-to-last bottle of Saz 18, and decided to try it alongside the BMH 18 (a 2006 Christmas gift from my wife, still unopened). I opened the BMH and poured some in a small snifter, and did the same with the Saz 18. The BMH was very good, but the charred wood component was just a little more than I like.

So I think I'll get some Saz 6 and experiment a bit.

I've heard the Saz 18 is no longer available. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard the Saz 18 is no longer available. Can anyone confirm this?

Depends on what year of issue you desire. I still find a number of 06 issues scattered around here and there though most of what you find on shelves now is the 07 bottle. As for 05 back, have not seen any in a while in my ramblings on the road. I am sure there are some out there, somewhere though......dusty treasures now waiting for the right person to come along.

As far as I know, the 08 issue will be on the shelves this coming fall along with the other Antiques.

I went for the WT rye 101. It was a good deal, 100 proof and Wild Turkey seems to be respected maker of quality products.

I've only had one little pour but my initial impression is very positive.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Rittenhouse BIB for $14 at a local liquor store today. My guess is that the OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) is closing it out.

At this price, is it a "must buy"?

$14 is a good price but I'm not sure it would be a closeout price for that bottle, they sell for $13.50 around here, regular price. For either price (although they aren't so far apart) the bottle is well worth it!

Saw Rittenhouse BIB for $14 at a local liquor store today. My guess is that the OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) is closing it out.

At this price, is it a "must buy"?

$14 is a good price but I'm not sure it would be a closeout price for that bottle, they sell for $13.50 around here, regular price. For either price (although they aren't so far apart) the bottle is well worth it!

It's a 'steal' price for that whiskey, whether or not it's a 'good' price (which it is), because Rittenhouse BIB has ALWAYS been under-priced (shhh! :shocked: don't tell Heaven Hill!).

Around here it's $17.99 and tax. And I buy it in multiples when I'm down to my last bottle or two.

Why I think it may be a closeout is because 1) last time I was there (about a month ago) I think it was priced at $19.95, and 2) the price tag attached to the shelf is not the standard OLCC one, but the one usually used on a closeout item, except that the word "closeout" usually appears on it and in this case it doesn't.

Either way, I think I'll scoot over there and grab a bottle at lunch. From what I've read about the stuff in this forum, it's an irresistible QPR.

Thanks.

Cracker, yes at $14 and no sales tax with the fear of closeout you may want to get 2. I personally am in the very small minority in that I do not love it, but respect it. I'd take Saz or WT over Ritt.

BTW, I was born just down the road from you in Lebanon, lived there till I was 18. Welcome to the board, good to see more Oregonians getting aboard!

I'm in agreement that Rittenhouse is good, but not perhaps brilliant. I too prefer WT Rye, but Rittenhouse is a nice change of pace and has a distinct old-fashioned candy note not found in many current whiskeys of any stripe. Its price and lack of ubiquity led to a lot of its appeal, IMO (along with its terrific mixability in traditional whiskey cocktails, which makes it a favorite with many cocktail junkies I know). All of which is to say you should buy 3 bottles.:grin:

Tried the Rittenhouse BIB last night.

Astonishly deep color for a 4yo whiskey. Nose features caramel, oak and hints of orchard fruits and maple. On the palate it's pretty smooth, with caramel corn in front of the rye (making me wonder about the rye/corn ratio). The alcohol is untamed, but a few drops of water brings it under control. The finish is fairly smooth, with some pepper.

It doesn't have the depth or complexity of an older whiskey, but is a good everyday pour, particularly at this price. I'm gonna buy more.

The store had another 6-7 bottles on the shelf, all dusty. It may be different east of the Cascades, but the Willamette Valley is not really bourbon/rye country. I suspect even if I wait a week or two there will still be plenty there when I go back.

4yo whiskey.

I was actually searching the site for the age of Rittenhouse BIB and WT 101 Rye and this came up. I then googled and found a page that said 6 years, can anyone say for sure? I also found that the WT was around 6 years. The reason I was wondering about this is because I'm drinking some WT 101 Rye and to me it tastes younger. The WT 101 Rye is good but at around $22 it almost seems like a bad deal in comparison.

I was actually searching the site for the age of Rittenhouse BIB and WT 101 Rye and this came up. I then googled and found a page that said 6 years, can anyone say for sure? I also found that the WT was around 6 years. The reason I was wondering about this is because I'm drinking some WT 101 Rye and to me it tastes younger. The WT 101 Rye is good but at around $22 it almost seems like a bad deal in comparison.

It's my understanding that the deal with "bottled-in-bond" is that it must be aged in a federally bonded warehouse under U.S. government supervision for at least four years and bottled at 100 proof.

I suppose it could stay at the bonded warehouse for a period longer than four years.

What I don't know is whether it has to be bottled at the storage facility or can be taken back to the distillery for bottling. If that's the case, then I suppose there's nothing to prevent a distiller from aging it further on their own premises.

Yeah, it could definitely sit in a bonded warehouse for more than 4 years, the oldest I've seen was 17 years old. I don't know the answer to your question but my assumption would be that if it were removed from the warehouse and further aged somewhere else then they couldn't call it bonded. As far as going back to the distillery I think that the warehouse, bonded or non-bonded, would be on site at the distillery, at least that's how it was with the few I've read about.

I buy the Rittenhouse BIB by the case and the Saz 6 by the half dozen. I like the Saz 6 a tad better than the Rittenhouse.

bj

I buy the Rittenhouse BIB by the case and the Saz 6 by the half dozen.

You know, before joining this site I would have looked at buying a case of whiskey as insane but now that my obsession has grown it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Aside from the fact that there might be a discount involved buying 12 bottles of something as inexpensive as Rittenhouse actually seems like a good idea considering the fact that there are bottles out there (albeit not many) that just one of would exceed the cost of a case of Rittenhouse BIB. Take something like Rittenhouse 23, the cheapest I can get that for would be around $170 + tax and 12 bottles of regular Rittenhouse BIB would run me around $162 + tax. I'll make no comment as to whether the 23 is worth the money either on it's own or compared to a case of Rittenhouse BIB but it's definitely something to think about.

You know, before joining this site I would have looked at buying a case of whiskey as insane but now that my obsession has grown it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Aside from the fact that there might be a discount involved buying 12 bottles of something as inexpensive as Rittenhouse actually seems like a good idea considering the fact that there are bottles out there (albeit not many) that just one of would exceed the cost of a case of Rittenhouse BIB. Take something like Rittenhouse 23, the cheapest I can get that for would be around $170 + tax and 12 bottles of regular Rittenhouse BIB would run me around $162 + tax. I'll make no comment as to whether the 23 is worth the money either on it's own or compared to a case of Rittenhouse BIB but it's definitely something to think about.

I fully agree, Goth. (But, my wife still doesn't get my logic! I'll show her your post, to illustrate that I'm not the only one! :D)

:toast:

JOE

I fully agree, Goth. (But, my wife still doesn't get my logic! I'll show her your post, to illustrate that I'm not the only one! :D)

It's worth a shot, I don't see why our flawless logic wouldn't convince her! :) Good luck!

Many liquor stores also offer the case discount on mixed cases. In other words, buy 12 bottles of anything and you get the discount. Some do, some don't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Here in PA the Rittenhouse 100 is only $11.87 a bottle plus tax........but you have to buy a case. I like the stuff but I don't need 12 of them.

1. Saz 6

2. Ritt BIB

4. JB Rye

Ironically, for household cleansers, JB Rye ranks pretty well, just above Pine-sol. It gives the whole house that hard-to-capture boozy smell you find in so many biker bars. :grin:

I have been looking for the Ritt BIB, but haven't found it yet. In fact, most of the stores I go in to give me a funny look when I tell them what I am looking for. However, I do see the JB Rye everywhere, and Dr's post reconfirms my decision not to buy the JB Rye.:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.